Middle-earth: Shadow of War

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 12, 2017.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    AFAIK InjectSMAA hasn't been updated in ages and it stopped working quite a while ago with newer titles (probably doesn't support 64-bit games at all).

ReShade uses a completely different injector / is up-to-date not to mention you can inject a bunch of effects with it.

Combine SMAA+FXAA for a very good AA solution and sharpen the image a bit with Lumasharpen or similar. Etc.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  2. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    So I am on my second siege and well, good idea but totally crap and utterly pointless. The idea being that you fight your way through the fort to get to the Overlord, fine I mean I could get through the fort without my army but the whole thing falls hard on it's backside when you capture all the points head for the Overlord and find that it is a one on one fight EXCEPT it's actually one (YOU) on him and his army that happen to hang around at his side. My second siege was me a lvl 25 against a lvl 28 tank, no prob I'll help capture the location keep my captains alive and then they can help me take him down... except that isn't how it works and the real kicker if you don't defeat the Overlord you auto lose the siege even if you managed to captured all the capture points... what a stupid and utterly f*cking pointless mechanic.

I could just plain go up against the Overlord by myself and not have to waste a single second doing all the other capturing and commanding rubbish and the results would be exactly the same.

3. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti watercooled
    this game is getting very repetitive , i might use a trainer get it done with

signex and Cronik like this.
  4. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Indeed,Rinse & Repeat.No worth to buy it at full price.

signex and Cronik like this.

5. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    You don’t like repetition? Same could be said practicing a musical instrument as well as racing a kart, car or bike. Or lifting weights and other exercise duties. The fighting may be the same but I never have the same style of battles.

6. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Nope,I will get bored if I do everytime the same thing in games. :)

7. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5700 8GB
    Well, it is not quite the same with training is it? You will actually have your own body becoming stronger and better looking compared to moving around some pixels.

The game is well done but the get the real ending is a royal pain in the arse of poor design.

And like some have said, the game really should have POV adjustable and make it possible to skip the boring enemy speeches.

8. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    Some of the captain speeches are quite amusing. An Australian captain is quite messed up though. Doesn’t suit the Middle Earth universe.

9. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5700 8GB
    Somewhat yes, but it is not reasonable to stop fighting and listening to someone or anyone at all.

10. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    So have just completed the game.... well everything up to the Shadow War part anyway. So everything up to Act 3 is great it then takes quite the downhill run in the third act as you are railroaded in to a series of straight line battles and most of them are quicktime rubbish against varies enemies. The stylish free form battles and gameplay go straight out the window, however the entire last part is very short and is a bit of a let down compared to the rest of the game.

The Nemsis system is ok but it certainly doesn't create memorable Orcs like the last one, mostly because their is just so many of them this time round what I did find shocking was their was one Orc right at the start of the game that must have killed me a dozen or so times before I finally levelled up, unlocked some skills and got to grip with the mechanics and I would have sworn he would be my main end game Nemsis... nope some random guy I don't remember ever fighting against. So while functionally it is better than the last game the sheer amount of Orcs this time means that their is very little connection with any of the Orcs.

The story is, alright, didn't expect it to end quite the way it did (though I have to play and win the Shadow War to get the full ending supposedly) not sure if I missed something but Bruz's story just seemed to end with no actual conclusion, I checked the map for mission icons prior to doing the 'final mission' and couldn't find anything so that was quite disappointing.

So will I push on with the Shadow War... NOPE. The game doesn't even try to hide the fact that it becomes a total grind fest once you get to Act4. I opted to upgrade my army in Minus Morgul so of course that means pit fits, which I actually quite liked. The issue hits when your Orc gets beaten by the enemy Orc. Usually you jump in take control of their mind and bam your weak now dead Orc is replaced by a nice new stronger Orc, no issues.... except that despite Minus Morgal being under YOUR command the entire place seems to be populated entirely by enemy combatants... no issue so I have to battle a few additional Orcs to mind control my new commander.... oh did I mention the Arena that your target is standing in now has two enemy Grouges sitting in it.... so run in mind control him get the F outta their quick.... oh no for some strange reason it now takes 4 times longer to fill the mind control bar on enemy Orcs now, I was able to mind control enemy Orcs a good 10 levels above me in 5 or so seconds it now takes 15 or so to mind control an enemy that is 7 levels below me and did I mention I am trying to do this while 2 Grouges are trying to kill me AND I am being popped by the random enemy Orcs sitting at the sidelines.

The entire 4th act is a joke. I could give the fact that it could be a total grind fest if it kept the core mechanics and game play ideals that had so far been established but the second you complete the third act you loose a portion of your Elven Skills and gain a new Might attack, the mechanics that determine possession change so it takes longer and not just a little bit longer a hell of a lot longer and suddenly forts under your command actually have masses of enemies wandering around in them. As I said I am not to bothered by the grind as I actually enjoyed the pit fights, managing my armies and doing the fort combat and defence missions but possession is clearly going to be a key factor in this and changing this to take 4/5 times longer to complete, for no real reason I can see other than to make it much harder to recruit enemies in to your army is frankly just pathetic.

(This is a side note, this opinion is based on a very limited run of the Shadow War Act, their did appear to be a bug running that caused me to gain the same 12 or so items everytime one of my guys won a pit fight and for some reason the prizes I won would not be auto added to my inventory forcing me instead to have to collect them from the pit itself. Now perhaps the enemies wandering around my base and the grouges are an addition to this bug and perhaps when I give it another try this may no longer be the case, if so I'll rethink my opinion of the final act but right here and right now Iam bit annoyed.)

lucidus likes this.

11. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Loved the first one, currently re-playing it since I upgraded my GPU. As for this one, I'll probably wait for a Steam sale.

12. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    So I have tried my hand at the Shadow Wars and yeah I can see how this could be called a grind fest. Firstly some corrections, the Grauges in Minas Morguals pit had disappeared when I loaded in this time, however having seen that you can't assigned Orcs to Warload posts at this location I just gave up on conducting pit fits here and moved to the first location that comes under seige.

Here I found that you will spend an awful lot of time making your Orcs pit fit to upgrade them to a decent level that allows them to stand a chance while defending your fort, you also need to do this to unlock all the defences for the fort. Now assuming you want to defend all six positions on the fort has and assuming that you start with a base group of Orcs that are some 20 levels below where you want them to be, in my case I wanted to raise them from 22 - 25 to 38 - 42 and assuming that your Orcs aren't total spoons and win every single fight you can expect this, including the actual defence battle to take around 3 hours. Not bad if you enjoy the pit fights but remember that 2 and a bit hours will be just that, you watching Orcs fight, while upgrading and skipping through the army menu. The result is a 10 - 15 minute defence that is actually fairly straight forward and easy assuming that the attacking force mostly contains Orcs sitting 2 - 5 levels less than your defending army.

Now putting that in context, that's 4 fort defences I believe that should take around 12 hours to complete, however I fully expect that the last two defences will be against Orcs that sit above my characters level so that now introduces a whole new factor in grinding. Anyway I was 52 hours in when I started Shadow Wars so another 12 means that around 1 / 5th of this game is Shadow Wars... which is kinda bad to be honest and that figure is no doubt going to increase as I start to grind Talon for levels.

On a side note I have found that my possession time has suddenly dropped back to normal.

13. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
  14. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti/RadVII/2070S
    Ever since I updated my Windows to Fall creators update the game crashes on start up. I tried different solutions posted online but nothing works. Obviously tried cleaning my drivers via DDU in safe mode. The game was working perfectly before the Windows update. :(

15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/356190/announcements/detail/1653253902611385586

Update 1.11

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    This is late but new for me, they're removing the micro transactions from the game.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/356190/announcements/detail/1649881367335038264

Will definitely buy this when it lands because I was super hyped last year.

"The core promise of the Nemesis System is the ability to build relationships with your personal allies and enemies in a dynamic open world. While purchasing Orcs in the Market is more immediate and provides additional player options, we have come to realize that providing this choice risked undermining the heart of our game, the Nemesis System"
    " In order to fully restore the core promise of the Nemesis System, we’ll be permanently removing Gold, War Chests and the Market from Shadow of War. This means the option to purchase Gold with real-world money and the ability to gain Orc Followers from War Chests will be removed. "
    "Additionally, we’ll be updating the Shadow Wars section of the campaign, where players defend their fortresses against Sauron’s repeated counter-attacks. This portion of the game will be improved with new narrative elements and streamlined for a more cohesive experience. "
    "Please note that the above updates are free for all Shadow of War owners. The ability to purchase Gold will permanently cease on May 8, 2018."

17. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti
    Do the clouds move across the sky or are they static, anyone know? I can't tell from videos because they show gameplay too fast for me to notice any cloud movement.

Just wondered because other games like this have all the clouds move like in Skyrim, Elderscrolls Online and Witcher 3.

18. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    I think it's static. I'd have to check tonight.