Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor GeForce GTX 970 VRAM stress test

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 28, 2015.

1. rjpessoa

rjpessoa Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    Same with me, I have only one GTX970 and I was very curious to see if there is a memory problem. So I used 4k resolution on Dying Light and the memory usage was an average of 3850MB, achieving sometimes 3929MB, without any leg. Of course the FPS were very low, between 19 and 25.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  2. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Uh, it's the 980, too...;)

Here's nVidia's statement:

The difference in performance drop between the 980 & and the 970 is so small that it cannot be measured without running a precision benchmark. Both cards drop performance like there's no tomorrow when the 3.5GB boundary is exceeded.

So why are people only talking about the 970? (This is one bizarre thread because of that...;)) The 980 is crippled in exactly the same way--that is, if you believe nVidia knows what it is talking about above.

Really, nobody with any sense is going to say, "Well, a 24% performance drop is OK, but a 25% performance drop is truly terrible, etc.!" :banana:

3. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Both cards drop in performance because both cards don't have enough "horsepower" to run a game that actually needs 4GB of vram (not caching) on their own at say 60FPS. I would be more interested in a test of 2way SLI 980 vs 970. I have not run into a game yet that uses more than ~ 3.7GB vram on my system at 1440p, only if I go with some stupid AA like 8x MSAA, at which point I run out of the "horsepower" again for my prefered 60FPS vsynced.

4. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    And yet here I sit with 2 of the 970s in SLI, they crush anything I throw at them @ 1440p and I'm not disappointed [in their performance] in the least. Disappointment for Nvidia and their lack of honestly? Sure.

I understand being a bit po'd at Nvidia for trying to lie by omission, but my point was that in today's world, you will get these types of lies by MANY companies.. I'm not saying that as a means of acceptance.. I believe that companies should be held accountable, and should pay the price for being deceitful to their customers.

All that being said, this issue does not suddenly make the 970 a paperweight, piece of crap video card which is what many people are now making it out to be, and threatening legal action and stuff. This to me is taking it entirely too far.

5. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070

couldnt have said it better man,not trading mine for nothing all my games run just swell lol

6. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    I agree with both of you, however I do experience the stutters and consistent frame drops in SLI when playing Shadows of Mordor. My main concern is if this game can push the limits at 1440p then what about games coming out within say even a year??? I used to dismiss this as an SLI bug but now knowing it's a hardware issue and we see the situation for what it really is, it definitely makes this quite a different situation. There's plenty of horespower in these cards via SLI to likely run any game with quality settings in the next 2-3 years, however this issue will become more and more an issue with future games in SLI no doubt.

7. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    Not everyone with a 970 is playing games perfectly fine including SLI set up. There's clearly something not right. I do agree the 970 is still a very good card, you get what you paid for, excluding the initial misleading card specs that every one wasn't aware of except Nvidia. I don't regret refunding my 970 for a 980. Gives me a piece of mind that I do actually own a card that has 4gb without any weird memory allocating and should perform the way it is advertised and marketed.

8. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Master Guru

Great work, indeed?

Picture too big and not in JPEG format.

He says he didn't even test the affected segment of memory that this whole issue's about! :bang:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2015
  9. chismo

chismo Guest

GPU:
    Yup, spot on. Not sure why you got banned for posting about it but this analysis was next to useless.