Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor GeForce GTX 970 VRAM stress test

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Dictator93

Dictator93 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Titan X
    Hilbert, woudl you look at GTX 970 SLI at around 30fps at great quality settings? Something like Ryse sond of Rome which uses about 4GB.

2. umeng2002

umeng2002 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
    I feel sorry for the people who bought this for SLI just for the "4 GB" VRAM.

I don't SLI. My monitor is 1200p 16:10. I'm happy with the performance,

I just feel a little ripped off.

Take my GTX 260, after I sold my GTX 580, I used the GTX 260 to game up until this past December.

In 5 years time, when games require 4 GB VRAM as a min, how will it perform?

3. ivymike10mt

ivymike10mt Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    I'm nt sure if SoM is a good game 2 test GPU memmory.. especially with SLI.
    I can confirm - no major drops on 980's till memmory reach 4GB level.
    Exept some dips especially on SLI under big battle in casttles.. which not occur on single 980.
    Also PhysX On add some stutter under fight with SLI. So for test i recommend disable this one.. or SLI can stutter even with 2GB memmory usage.
    Maybe is good take another game into table..?

BTW. gtx 970 exept some marketing and enginering tricks. Still looks ok, and i must admit for that price 970 still is nt bad choice till u plan SLI.

Sad is that ppl which bought SLI with hope that more mem will help them in feature gamming. When 980 in same time may handle.
    Nt fair..

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  4. Gen Techa

Gen Techa Member

GPU:
    Geforce 1080TI SLI
    Well said. However they have always done this to promote the higher end cards as "Worth the extra cost" Honestly the hardware is the same and we use to be able to create a bios/firmware upgrade to open the extra bandwidths, usually by replacing them with slightly similar bios to the upgraded version. People are just now getting smart to how they do it.

5. GPU

GPU Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 780scsli ek 2x655 ek
    well I've only had nv cards mostly in sli
    so vram is the only reason I update them
    8800gts 512sli, 285sli , 580 1.5gb sli , and in some time in the near future my 780sli 3gb ,

other peeps that own a 970 4 gb now find out they have 3.5gb that could be a issue now or down the road.

so with nv cutting the vram down to 3.5 + .5 for better yields of defective chip
    and some peeps are having issues

nv rep saying their driver teams hard at work fixing a non issues on great cards lol

also to make that 3.5 + .5 to work it needs special drivers for the 970 only oh plus the os needs to use all 3 memory pools on the card/system. 3.5 .5 and system ram for a game instead of two.

yea what could go wrong.

6. fry178

fry178 Maha Guru

GPU:
    FTW Hybrid 2080S
    Fact is:
    - Card performance did not change
    - 3.5+0.5 = 4gb (last time i checked)
    - Card has 256bit memory bandwidth

Not saying Nvidia handled it right, but that doesn't change the fact that the 970 is a good card.

Anyone claiming that Nv offered full 4gb vram @256bit bandwidth, please provide picture of retail box or screenshot of website...

And its funny how many people NOW have a "problem", when they didn't have one beofre this came to light.

Anyone that has the money to run a 4k moni/tv should have the cash to buy one or two 980s...
    But yeah, buying a porsche and slapping some generic cheap winter tires on it, and then complain about track performance... ;-)

7. zzzaac

zzzaac Member

GPU:
    -
    I don't have a 970, but I agree with the notion that it is still a great card, performance wise, power wise etc.

If NVIDIA mentioned the partitioning day 1, it wouldn't of come to this

8. scipio

scipio Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming

qft.

9. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Banned

I did some more testing using Shadow of Mordor, SLI enabled and disabled, sub-3500mb and over 3500mb VRAM consumption. Frametimes stay within normal variation/acceptable consistence when in single-card mode regardless of VRAM, but going to over 3500mb in SLI causes wild and rampant stutters/hitches with vastly fluctuating frametimes to match.

Full-size link: http://i.imgur.com/mhOevfQ.png
    [​IMG]

Framerates are of course with SLI enabled around what most people consider a "normal" playable mark at the under 3500mb settings, with a 52.5% scaling over the single card mode boosting the framerate to 61 average (from 40 single-card) and frametimes at normal variance levels. But, if you kick things up to take over 3500mb with settings, you get not only just 23.7% scaling over the single card mode boosting the framerate to 45.8fps average (from 37fps single-card), but the reduced scaling results in a lower-than-expected fps as well as frequent and major frametime variation as well as spikes.

So while it may not be as big a deal for single-card setups in terms of the practical effect necessarily (other than room to expand to SLI and there is definitely some increase in variance, how acceptable that is will vary by person in addition to the false advertisement of the configuration and specs), for SLI users it is an absolute non-starter and has a drastic effect which will become more and more common as newer games (and some older ones) hit above that 3.5gb VRAM mark with otherwise-usable framerates but for this segmentation fault.

10. Arbold

Arbold Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 Zotac Amp Extreme
    I'm glad i can return my cards. I'm done with nvidia for now.

11. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    just a quote: to play 4K you have pretty few ram (i mean on your computer, not on your graphic part).

to be happy at 4K you might get twice as a minimum.

12. Emille

Emille Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    I don't consider in game settings to be 'freaky stuff' and at 1080p with no DSR there are several games such as Shadow of Mordor, Wolfenstein and Dying light all use between 3900 and 4000mb vram on my 4gb card. Not sure about FC4 and DAI, but more games will do the same.

That is very basic out of the box stuff at a very basic resolution that anyone should be able to run without issue.

I think the issue is understated in this article. If you were running 1600p/1440 and ran with supersampling/high levels of msaa ( I use smaa/fxaa these days ) or DSR then dozens of game would have major problems on a card that would otherwise manage it with ram power that is now limited by high latency problems with the last 512mb of vram.

13. maxio

maxio Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti
    As much as I like nvidia I have to say that nvidia fuc*** up in communicating the specs.
    It did mislead peoples to think they were getting a card more identical to the 980.

Question is are most folks ever gonna notice this?
    Probably not, but does that make it any less deceiving?

I say it changes nothing, deceit is deceit, they knew exactly what they were doing, which was stealing buyers with a technically false claim.

I don't think the card is sh** whatsoever.
    I'm still really disappointed...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  14. Embra

Embra Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Nitro+LE
    For me the issue is not so much the performance hit. The 970 is still a very good gpu. It is the fact the card was released back in September and until now Nvidia did not, or ignored correcting the correct specs. This may not have changed many from buying the card, but they would not be surprised to find it was not as advertised.

If we are going to except companies behaving this way, then what is next?
    Where is the responsibility to the consumer?

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Here is the thing in all your testing you are getting spikes above 40ms ubove or below 3.5GB and SLI on or off. Something I noticed on the reviews of this card was that these cards have a frame time issue and it is multiplied when running SLI (this happens with the 980 as well but to a slightly lesser extent). I wonder if you over clocked your VRAM if the frame times would improve. I thing the overall frame time issue is a bandwidth bottleneck.

16. looniam

looniam Member Guru

GPU:
    980TI SC+
    idk, for SoM @ 4K ya might need more than 4Gbs even (keeping mins up)

[​IMG]

17. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Wtf happened, what's the topic about lol? NVIDIA doing a major lie lol? XD:D

18. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
  19. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
  20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070