Mid-Range NVIDIA Kepler to Challenge AMD 7900 High-End Cards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Mkilbride, Jan 21, 2012.

1. RossCorp

RossCorp Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570GTX SLI
    Ahhh, the good ol' days! I too had a 2900xt, and the only reason I bought it was because I had waited so long for it to be released, it was going in my PC no matter what, performance be damned, lol. Not the best purchase I'll admit, but it was still ~150 dollars (CAN) cheaper than the 8800GTX, and I didn't have a lot of extra cash floating around at the time.

And while it may have been a crap card, I had a ton of fun with it, and I eventually bought a 4870 as a replacement for it. I'm just REALLY hoping Kepler (GK100) isn't a 2900 fiasco all over again, because I want a new GPU soon, and if I wait until September or later for some benchmarks only to be disappointed, well, let's just say I won't be buying the card just because I waited so long for it, hehe. :pc1:

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Enthusiast king of the hill product is easier to sell at $649,
    then mid-range performance card at $400 is what I'm saying.

GPU market is saturated, so I am thinking Nvidia will rather use that supposed performance lead to sell
    their cards, like they did with 8800GT, and not hoard them by asking an arm and a leg.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Hoping all these rumours are true.

Especially the alleged pricet-tag of $299, would make up for me being too skint to get the 7970 when i was in the us.

4. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio

5. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    You have skipped the HD5xxx series from AMD. It took Nvidia two generations to top that. Please refrain from posting misinformation, we do have new people on the forum looking for objective information.

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Plus in computer terms the 2900XT and 8800GT were a long, long, time ago.

If you really want to argue that Nvidia is better because of that, then you obviously forgotten the Radeon 9600 (and higher) vs Geforce MX5600 (and higher). The Geforce 5xxx series was beyond a joke.

The Nvidia 6xxx, 7xxx, 8xxx, 9xxx and so on weren't much better. Sure, the very top end cards were okay, apart from them crapping especially with the 9xxx series, but you had to pay a LOT of money for them. There were no real mid range cards in these Nvidia series, only Top end cards and 'high' low end cards.

7. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    didnt amd then announce that they leaked the '2304' cuda core model as a hoax to see which AIB was leaking information whilst the cards were under NDA?

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Er.. not quite. The 6xxx and 8xxx series were revolutionary in terms of graphics performance at the time, bringing about 100% performance gains over the last gen. The 6600gt and 8800gt were phenomenal successes and were the best mid-rangers for their respective periods.

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Maybe to you, just feels like the other day i picked up the 8800GT, was also the last GPU i bought from an actual shop.
    My previous Nvidia GPU before that was the GeForce 2, now that feels like a long time ago to me.

No one was arguing that Nvidia was better because of that, or any other reason.
    It was there to point out that it's not impossible that Nvidia could bring out something cheaper and faster.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  10. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Do we have a definitive release date for these "Midrange" Kepler parts?

11. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    aaa i only hope that the 8800gtx days and 5870 come back :(

those series where awesome

12. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    i hate PR

13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The HD 5870 was awesome? :3eyes:

It was the first DX11 card and very well made and all that jazz but its tessellation performance was dire and really let the card down IMO.

14. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    what i mean was this, the gtx8800 was a great nvidia card as for 5 series is what brought back ati to life after the 2900xt fiasco and the 3 and 4 series mild success.

as for tessellation u cant blame all on the card and drivers. the game makers implementation is what sucked most of the time

crysis 2 anyone

p.s at the time the 5 series card where awesome i am sorry but that us the truth

15. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Well the 5870 was a better shot at the title than the 7970 is now. AMD implemented a lot of new GPGPU stuff and felt it had to come straight from the SP jar to keep the chip small enough (also for dual GPU cards I guess). Now they're selling it at uber high end prices because compared to 40nm it IS a high end card, and this way it won't threaten THEIR OWN 40nm lineup. In reality it'll just end up being another upper mid end AMD GPU, contrary to their own claims.

16. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    570GTX 1.3Gb @900/2200mhz
    7970 is still better imo, is a complete architecture redesign, what's not to like there?

5870 was basically a 4870+dx11 features on top of it.

17. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Ah...but GCN is awesome, the 7970 isn't. At least the 5870 gave a huge performance increase in all titles people were playing at the time.

18. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    570GTX 1.3Gb @900/2200mhz
    I agree its not that impressive at stock clocks.

But at 1200-1300mhz its great, imo that should be the default frequency with extra 200mhz+ OC :nerd: