Microsoft's, Xbox 360 vs. Sony's PlayStation 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by wizwizwa, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wizwizwa

wizwizwa Guest

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/617/617951p1.html

There are three critical performance aspects of a console:

Central Processing Unit (CPU) performance.

The Xbox 360 CPU architecture has three times the general purpose processing power of the Cell.

Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) performance

The Xbox 360 GPU design is more flexible and it has more processing power than the PS3 GPU.

Memory System Bandwidth

The memory system bandwidth in Xbox 360 exceeds the PS3's by five times.

Bandwidth
    The PS3 has 22.4 GB/s of GDDR3 bandwidth and 25.6 GB/s of RDRAM bandwidth for a total system bandwidth of 48 GB/s.

The Xbox 360 has 22.4 GB/s of GDDR3 bandwidth and a 256 GB/s of EDRAM bandwidth for a total of 278.4 GB/s total system bandwidth.

2. wizwizwa

wizwizwa Guest

DETAILED ANALYSIS OF PERFORMANCE SPECIFICATIONS

CPU
    The Xbox 360 processor was designed to give game developers the power that they actually need, in an easy to use form. The Cell processor has impressive streaming floating-point power that is of limited use for games.

The majority of game code is a mixture of integer, floating-point, and vector math, with lots of branches and random memory accesses. This code is best handled by a general purpose CPU with a cache, branch predictor, and vector unit.

The Cell's seven DSPs (what Sony calls SPEs) have no cache, no direct access to memory, no branch predictor, and a different instruction set from the PS3's main CPU. They are not designed for or efficient at general purpose computing. DSPs are not appropriate for game programming.

Xbox 360 has three general purpose CPU cores. The Cell processor has only one.

Xbox 360's CPUs has vector processing power on each CPU core. Each Xbox 360 core has 128 vector registers per hardware thread, with a dot product instruction, and a shared 1-MB L2 cache. The Cell processor's vector processing power is mostly on the seven DSPs.

Dot products are critical to games because they are used in 3D math to calculate vector lengths, projections, transformations, and more. The Xbox 360 CPU has a dot product instruction, where other CPUs such as Cell must emulate dot product using multiple instructions.

Cell's streaming floating-point work is done on its seven DSP processors. Since geometry processing is moved to the GPU, the need for streaming floating-point work and other DSP style programming in games has dropped dramatically.

Just like with the PS2's Emotion Engine, with its missing L2 cache, the Cell is designed for a type of game programming that accounts for a minor percentage of processing time.

Sony's CPU is ideal for an environment where 12.5% of the work is general-purpose computing and 87.5% of the work is DSP calculations. That sort of mix makes sense for video playback or networked waveform analysis, but not for games. In fact, when analyzing real games one finds almost the opposite distribution of general purpose computing and DSP calculation requirements. A relatively small percentage of instructions are actually floating point. Of those instructions which are floating-point, very few involve processing continuous streams of numbers. Instead they are used in tasks like AI and path-finding, which require random access to memory and frequent branches, which the DSPs are ill-suited to.

Based on measurements of running next generation games, only ~10-30% of the instructions executed are floating point. The remainders of the instructions are load, store, integer, branch, etc. Even fewer of the instructions executed are streaming floating point—probably ~5-10%. Cell is optimized for streaming floating-point, with 87.5% of its cores good for streaming floating-point and nothing else.

3. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:
    Asus V9999 Ultra - GeForce 6800 Ultra
    Not again dude. Seriously. Let it go.

4. wizwizwa

wizwizwa Guest

what do you have against information?

I made 1 goofball thread the rest are all legitimate topics so whats the problem?

5. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    of course the embedded dram bandwidth is high ITS EMBEDDED. but the meager 10mb isnt going to count for much. the real comparison is the main memory bandwidth in which sony is faster.

6. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:
    Lets see, you could have posted that crap here -

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=137685&perpage=20&pagenumber=4

or here -

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=138257&perpage=20&pagenumber=2

or here -

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=138039

or even here -

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=137934

You could have used any of those threads instead of spamming the gaming section with a redundant thread.

7. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    each of the 7 active SPE's in cell have 256kb cache each, plus the PPE's 512kb where did you find your info. and about the graphics rendering, call me crazy but i think nvidia know a bit about how to render graphics.

Last edited: May 24, 2005
  8. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    LOL adair

9. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3080 OC
    my god... it all depends on games....

10. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    i dunno i like how sony set up the memory. 256mb gddr3 @ 700mhz for graphics, plus 256mb xdr @ 3.2ghz. so its nice cuz cell can access the 256mb xdr and so can the gpu giving it a full 512MB if needed.

11. TheGriffin

TheGriffin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Adair, and u were tellin me Cry me a river...

12. wizwizwa

wizwizwa Guest

at the link right above it in the first post

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/617/617951p1.html

PS I'm just posting info as I find it. Some people don't like the info oh well don't read it. its funny how people that get upset because they don't agree with the info you post so they call you a fanboy, when they are the ones getting upset!
    lol

13. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    ok the well known IGN article that is blatantly skewed and false. yeah thats microsoft propaganda. why not try other sources

14. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:
    I got a history of posting that pic just for you.

I even got it earmarked for ya :thumbup:

15. wizwizwa

wizwizwa Guest

You mean just like the BS sony released right:D

16. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yay more duplicated console threads. One thread on this topic is enough, we don't need 5ive, and Adair is perfectly correct when he says you could've posted this in other threads. You should listen to him once in a while.

Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.