Microsoft Xbox One console shown

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 22, 2013.

1. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Yup.

Two things I am wondering right now.

1. How many 'hardcore' gamers want to buy something with lesser power than either the competition or, other platforms?

2. How many 'regular' gamers have parents that would want to purchase something that is permanently connected to the internet, has a microphone always on, has a camera always on and can see in the dark.

I know we're getting more and more accustomed to being under scrutiny anno 2013, but people's living rooms/family rooms should be private, no?

That level of scrutiny I would reserve for prisoners, or people on suicide watch.

Just 'one' rumor that the camera can be hacked remotely, or has been hacked, allowing remote control to view any the inside of any home with one of these devices; would end M$ forever.

I'm taking bets at 1:1

2. Silent_Takedown

Silent_Takedown Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 WF3
    Well that's Halo finished for me. 'nuff said.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The Xbox One can run games and movies offline, it only needs an internet connection when you install games (like PC ones do) and for online gameplay. There is talk of offloading A.I. and physics calculations to servers but I honestly don't think it would be practical except for games that are online already, i.e. multiplayer ones.

As for the Xbox One being on all the time so you can speak to it to turn it on: there's one fix for that if you don't like the idea of it potentially monitoring everything you do and say: unplug the console from the mains (or pull the power plug out from the back of the console)!!!

4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Or just don't buy it and continue using the 360 because you already own one, or some other platform.

Convergence has its place, and I wish they would leave attempts at high end gaming out of the equation.

Last edited: May 24, 2013

5. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    1. How many 'hardcore' gamers want to buy something with lesser power than either the competition or, other platforms? Most have no idea

2. How many 'regular' gamers have parents that would want to purchase something that is permanently connected to the internet, has a microphone always on, has a camera always on and can see in the dark.
    They won't know till they get it or never know about some of the things

Customer Ignorance nor willing to do research on products has shown time and time again you can sell them anything which Is probally what they will be able to do in the end

Talk to people who own or are parents of people who use Consoles most have no idea at all

6. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Sheesh, the camera is not always on and the audio is looking for a single cue: Xbox On.

And this is the easiest part to solve, it sounds like they will have options in the software on how you want to configure Kinect, I'm sure they will have the option to turn Kinect completely off when your console is off if you don't want the audio cue.

And please, it's not like almost every laptop sold in the last few years doesn't have a built in webcam that can't also be hacked (and have been), yet I don't see the mass panic there.

7. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Well, Sony could have gone all "Next-gen starts when we say it so" on Microsoft now that I've seen this "console" reveal...

EDIT: BTW, that soundtrack is awesome.

8. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    Best games has been already made for PC, nintendo 8bit/16bit and playstation 1/2 =)
    We dont need this **** ;)

9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    It's unlikely a child would use a laptop, and laptops are typically on the move devices - more likely a tablet of some kind for the home, but I get your point.

The only place the XBO is going to be is the living room/family room, and you need to realize the sanctity of this.

10. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    And every single relative of mine who does have kids has bought them laptops that go in the bedroom; I find that far more invasive. The living room, less so.

Like I said, this a pointless scare campaign. You already have dozens of devices in your house ranging from Laptops to tablets down to your very phone that have cameras and audio and are always connected to the internet (especially phones).

Like I said, there is no doubt going to be software on/off switch for the Kinect2 while powered down if you want; and if you are really paranoid, then just get a manual power switch.

11. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    Put a book in front of the camera? (If you still read real books)

12. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    EDIT: Nm, it's a mock up.

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  13. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Most all the kids of parents I know have their own laptops of some sort for their own room or whereever and they seem to be used for gaming more than anything and kids aren't stupid about it either, some going as far as torrenting or modding their consoles before their 12. Even my 3 yr old grandaughter has a toddler one which when old enough will have a real one. My wife knows of a few who's kids have an Ipad, though I think that's pushing it as far as cost vs abuse as tablets tend to get tossed around a bit more.

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Actually, several MS reps confirmed it is pretty much an always online console. Not just during installs. If it ends up not being that, it's because they changed their minds due to backlash, but last I checked they're going through with it.

15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    This. It will not have any functionality if it is not validated every 24 hours but you can still play or do anything else offline within those 24 hours so technically it is not always online. It won't work without Kinect physically plugged in but will have "privacy features".

Heh .. Securom in a box.

Last edited: May 27, 2013

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I love but hate at the same time the cloud capabilities and requirements for the Xbox One.

The advantage is a big one at least, you can save on the cloud, some of the tasks of the console are on the cloud instead, and there's always new content out there!

Disadvantages, seeing that you have to be online at least once a day to play the console is a huge one, probably the main one. What if you buy this for your kids, but you don't want it hooked up to the internet, or have the possibility of not having internet? What if you're on a car trip, and you want to play the xbox on the car trip through the vans tv? What if something happens at Microsoft where the servers go down? What happens to these consoles once the servers are closed down completely down the line?

I will say this though, this will push devs to code more for multiple cores.

17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    At least Securom didn't watch you while you're naked, even in the dark.

So what's their "legit" reason for it seeing infrared light?

18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Has something to do with rocket science.

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    So your going to trust Microsoft lol no thanks this Xbox One will not be coming into my home.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    How is this any different than any cell phone, laptop, tablet, desktop webcam anyone else has?