Microsoft won't extend XP's life

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Despite comments from Ballmer last week Microsoft today announced Windows XP will still retire on June 30 except for some market segments like low-cost PCs. The spokeswoman said Microsoft is aware...

More...

2. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    I just hope it won't be again Vista Vs XP thread, i think that they made maybe the right decision since vista license allows to downgrade to xp from business or ultimate copy, which again creates problem is the other version of Vista.
    Whatever MS says about Vista sales gone high, isn't quite true cause Vista is adopting very slow compared to their goals, and from my XP out of Vista, there is minimal difference for good in using Vista over XP.

3. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Although i'm not a fan of Vista, this is good news since even though its MS's decision it forces them to fix and make Vista better and soon. Even SP1 didn't do enough to make me wanna load it back on my gaming rig since its still too much of a resource hog.

Windows 7 I hope gets more attention between now and 2010 instead of Sp2 just to boost sales of Vista.

4. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    Looks like good timing for me, I plan to get vista around June.

5. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    time to stock up on XP OEM Editions for computer builds I guess for my customers anyways

6. PFX_79

PFX_79 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256mb
    Suprised? Note really. Figured it would happen sooner or later, was just hoping it would be later than sooner.

7. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    That's pants! I hoped it would be supported for longer, but I suppose there is not a lot left that MS that can do with it. They are bound to want to promote and make money on Vista I suppose!

8. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Finnaly, we can slowly start to put XP away.

Its served well, but now is time to move on.

Roll on 7!

9. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    I'm disappointed because MS seems to have little regard for what many customers clearly want.XP vs Vista threads are all over the web, and the fact that they are says XP is still wanted.
    I'm hoping to skip Vista, and go to 7,and I imagine I'm not alone.

10. Jordus

Jordus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon X800 PRO / Stock
    people confuse the words support and purchaseability.

Mainstream support will go on until June 30 2009, and sidestream support until June 30 2012.