Microsoft Windows Bug Is Holding Back AMD Ryzen

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 10, 2017.

1. DLG

DLG Guest

GPU:
    Zotac AMP 1080Ti
    not a bug, implementation required

2. Ourasi

Ourasi Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
    Only if the low resolution actually pushes the CPU to or near it's limits, if not you're actually testing compatibilty of game engine with the CPU/chipset. Several of those low resolution game benches have only pushed Ryzen to 40-60%, so calling these benches CPU bound is wrong, software/engine bound is more correct in these cases.

Using a low resolution to test CPU's to the max in games, should only be used if these criterias are meet, blindly testing as many games as you can find at low resolutions without paying attention to and commenting on CPU utilization is just wrong.. Reviewers should try to use their heads every now and then...

3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    What? You're regurgitating the same thing (from a week ago) while completely ignoring the new information that has come out. You did not argue a single thing I posted, again. You're trying to argue with what is 100% your own speculation and actively rebutted by AMD. Soooooo....????

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The fact that AMD kept comparing the Ryzen 7 CPU's to the i7 6900K should be a pretty good indicator that AMD wasn't targeting gamers with Ryzen 7, though it's still capable of gaming.

Exactly what new technology did AMD adopt that game developers have no experience with? Intel has been using HyperThreading for more than a decade now....and AMD's SMT implementation is similar enough that only incompetent devs can't make use of it. AMD and Intel both have been pushing out multi-core processors for more than a decade now so only incompetent devs would be unable to code for them at this point. What new technology are you referring to? No dev can code specifically for "AMD Infinity Fabric".... So again, what new technology are you referring to? XFR and SenseMI are not exposed for the dev to code for.

Just because the scheduler appears to be working properly, doesn't mean Microsoft doesn't have some work to do to improve support elsewhere within the OS. AMD can only comment on the data they have available.

Per AMD:
    It's quite possible that MS made a change during the development of Win10 that, unintentionally, had a negative impact on the performance of Ryzen 7. I'm sure Microsoft wasn't taking the performance of Ryzen into account while developing Win10, being that Ryzen wasn't a viable product at the time.

It's also possible that AMD knows what the problem is (whether it be firmware, architecture or Windows) but just isn't saying because either it's something they're unsure of how to fix, or because Windows isn't their product and therefore they have no place commenting on it beyond what they've already said.

In any instance, only time will tell what will happen from here. If it's viewed as a fixable problem, I'm sure some effort will be made to correct it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017

5. Yep ... Had a feeling. Phenom 1's .... I could be wrong of course - I don't know everything - no one does but I have a feeling that most of what has been brought up won't be addressed until Ryzen Gen 2 based off of that reply from AMD.

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

7. Respectfully, that is a big if - also, furthermore for Microsoft to invest that amount of time into the amount of work you are hypothesizing (even in a world where it could exist) would cost an enormous amount of money. It's unrealistic and backwards to take dev teams already committed to current builds of Redstone etc and re purpose them to investigate / port out aspects of code etc from Win 7 back into Win 10 to appease Zen - like I said that's easier said than done hell not even realistic. It simply doesn't just work that way. You don't just "grab" a section of an OS from 2009 and forward replace it with one from now.

As for your Tweet - "Future Updates" may refer to actual news updates from Microsoft as to the situation not actual patches etc. They are not admitting to a commitment of development from what I can see by that but rather just to "look into it" and get back with more info. Hey man ... just my opinion...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2017
  8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It's not a matter of porting code from Windows 7 to Windows 10. It's a matter of fixing what is essentially a bug in Windows 10.

9. Using his words... and yes regarding the actual "bug" at hand that's another matter/ patching actual issues related to the current micro-architecture of Ryzen are moreso not even bugs but better put placing support / Hotfixes for a new design on the market into a rolling OS. MS says/feels they can do it - heck more power to them...

UPDATE: I will add though that the latest update from AMD I saw does not make it seem as though that is the case. If anything they're confirming Windows 10 in it's current state to be a non-issue & we'll likely see further improvements in gaming cpu-side with Ryzen Gen 2 (EDIT: although I will add I'm unsure how they're going to address the latency issue regarding Infinity Fabric/CCX - Scheduler update to reduce response time ... I don't know... hell then again I don't know how a Gen 2 could resolve that. It is just a proposed theory still - who knows what AMD engineering is working on still...) Anyways.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2017