Microsoft Windows 8.1 will get 70% price reduction

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 22, 2014.

1. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Win 8 still has its fans :p

2. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    This post has informed everyone that you have no clue what you're talking about.

Vista was a total mess from a hardware/driver point if view due to a completely new driver model and removal of HAL - and for the most part it was the fault of the manufacturers failing to supply adequate drivers for their hardware.

Win 8 is sheer bliss. I didn't have to update a single driver, and it worked straight from the upgrade install.

The only issue is with Metro on a desktop PC (and maybe the stupid account login crap) which is easily solved with free software and is getting removed by default on desktops via a Microsoft update.

The OS itself is quick, stable, more secure, and packed with more technology and is more dumb-ass proof than any previous MS-OS.

To even suggest otherwise means you either never even used it, or were afraid of the Metro UI (Alt+D=95% of issues solved).

Oh, it's the cheapest MS OS to date too. I'm actually quite surprised at the low market penetration it has - a lot of it due to internet scaremongering by people that have barely given it the time of day.

3. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Inventing the hot water, and trying to sell it as a...

novelty - that's the area where m$ rules! What do you think, why was m$ so quick in "stepping" from 8 to 8.1 in a day and a half? DirectX 11.01, 11.02...11.09....12.33...12.34...12.122... It's just the trowing dust into people's (consumers') eyes.

Except for this "touchscreen monitors" thing, win 8/8.1/8xxx... does not bring ANYTHING else compared to win 7. NOTHING else is new there, and the company is VERY, very aware of that, and it is NO wonder that they are selling it at ever falling price... Fifteen jugglers, five believers, one of Bob Dylan's songs reads...
    Here we've got different situation: a clown who is pretending to be the juggler, and, lo and behold: still there are so many believers (who tend to forget, so easily, just how they got tricked last time).

And that was exactly my point!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080

What does Windows 7 bring to the table over Vista then, if all 8 brings is touchscreens?

I also doubt the average consumer cares about directx.

5. mjw

mjw Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX660Ti 2GB SC
    Are people still crying over Windows 8? :D

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Exactly, it's nothing more than hypocrisy, by the time W7 arrived Vista was actually in a good state.
    The differences between Vista and 7 were smaller than any other two OS's that i can think of, but for some reason that was ok, and it was fine for MS to expect people to pay alot to "upgrade" to W7.

It's hilarious that anyone would use the word tricked, tricked out of what?
    I don't believe for a second that anyone who dislikes or does not trust MS would pay for Windows.

We have been here before, so many tech users are predictable.
    Windows7 is the new XP, give it a few years and forums will be full of people getting laughed at for using W7.

7. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    So when can we expect cheaper prices?

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    After Update 1 launches and if your device is priced at $250 or less.

9. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    You have a point there, that's the reason why I've decided to upgrade when I can.The only thing I'm concerned about is how are these new types of OS's going to get integrated into the workplace.My office is still on XP, the drivers for our printers are only compatible with up to Win7 I think.

10. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    What gave Vista its bad reputation was that drivers weren't ready at launch, and manufacturers put it on pre-builts that clearly were too slow for it. And then it just became the popular thing to hate.

My hate for Windows 8.x isn't just about the new UI. It's about Microsoft's "our way or no way" attitude. Little to no room for options.
    It really should have had a built-in option for for disabling the new UI.
    And just look at Aero, it was optional in both Windows Vista and 7, but now Microsoft decided to remove it completely.

11. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    and Only if your an OEM but seeing as most of us in here build our own PC's then I guess that makes us OEM's :banana:

12. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    You can have it back you know

13. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    It shouldn't have been removed in the first place.
    And if any 3rd party solution would be broken by a windows update, it won't be Microsoft's job to fix it.

14. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    But not due to Metro though imo. I don't think anyone here specifically likes it for Metro.

I prefer it over 7, but that has to do more because it feels like a slightly more lightweight OS, managing resources a bit better. Feels a bit snappier in general.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    People are still crying over Vista as well..... Pretty sad actually.

16. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    I remember when I had first started posting more on this forum and felt the urge to vent my disgust over Win 8, multiple times. And now I just don't give a **** anymore.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It's a simple matter. If you don't like it. You don't have to use it. There's no reason to attempt to chase others away from it if they want to give it an actual chance. Let people form their own opinion from their own experience. Nobody on this forum knows what's best for every single user. Every user should be able to choose what is best for them, from their own experience.

18. CyberPaddy

CyberPaddy Master Guru

GPU:
    migty 8800GTX
    to be fair men this is good sign. it i s all part of a process of change i love readin this forum an seein ppl change over the tiems. the next step veeshut is to embrace the cargo and get window 8. even hallyryu if i think we remembr he didnt like win8 an was probly scared of the change but now as we see the advancemnt of 8 n ppls ideas he is desperatly tryin to get a deal on window8 and embrace the change we are already enjoyin. it is god to see men who think they are hard in there visions com around to the better way of thinkin an join us in a glorios hole so we can be 1 and not segmnted onto diffrnt camps

i think we should have a club we can all be part of - me,veteran,hallryu,sykosis,redempton,eclap,alexkidd,hillbert - everyone relly an we can discuss an share each other secret an confide in what we do an eventully ppol will leave xp,vista an 7 behind for good!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  19. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Don't you two tempt me now.

I AINT FALLING FOR IT

20. CyberPaddy

CyberPaddy Master Guru

GPU:
    migty 8800GTX
    veeshnut - pls dont tak it that way we are not tryin to tempt u to anything bad. me an skysosis just want to help u get more impriovements an take the leap of faith it wil be like a revelation to u an ur screen will actually lok better than it did in window7. (?if that is ot ur on, or xp? but both arent as godd)