Microsoft will replace old Edge browser with Chromium version Starting April 2021

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    Loving Edge Chromium, been using it for over a year now, zero crashes and a huge improvement over my previous browser.

I came from Google Chrome which started to act up on various websites.

nick0323 likes this.
  3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Why was I thinking they already did that???

4. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Good news for web developers in general. old Edge dev tools were a pain to work with. Also ie11 has been finally pushed away from microsoft apps too.

5. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti / 290X CFX
    Wishing it was updated more often, sticking with Google .

Attached Files:

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    The Chromium version has been made available for a while, so maybe that's what you're thinking of. It just isn't yet the default, at least to my understanding that's the case.

It's good for web developers but not so good for the internet as a whole. Competition is a good thing. When you've got pretty much every player using the Chromium engine, that basically makes it a monopoly. Firefox has been losing ground for a while.

7. mentor07825

mentor07825 Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 5700XT
    Agreed. Whereas I've been using Firefox for over a year now and I don't believe I'll ever switch away, does precisely what I want. If I'm in doubt on something then I use Edge Chromium just to be sure. As for Internet Explorer 11 it's needed for certain enterprise applications.

8. hawk7000

hawk7000 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    I guess it's a matter of perspective if it's actually "good for web developers".
    I suppose it can be convenient, but only so because you can more easily get away with doing a sloppy job.

(I suppose the main difference compared to last time is that Chrome is actually pretty good in terms of working correctly, unlike IE was.)

9. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I disagree with some answers.
    - Ie11 is needed for certain application scenario in corporate, but MS will likely iron out those cases supporting some plugin in edge, and anyway that is not the internet, those are just some situation that interests some kind of developing.

- internet panorama is V8+blink Or Firefox Or Safari ( that uses some stuff from firefox too, i do not remember exactly ) but that does not mean lack of competition. The board of developers of Chromium is large and is not a google monopoly. The more large companies onboard on that, the more the competion is on that codebase compared that on a competition between different browsers. The WWW standards are what we look at and not competition between browsers. The source code is available, anyone can make a decent browser now ( look the many chromium derivates ). What google offer is the development of the underlying ecmascript implementation and the graphic rendering engine on top of it.

- The browser has nothing to do with doing a sloppy job, if the developer wants to apply standards or code the first thing that runs, that is entirely to him and little has to do with the browser that is mostly used.

- Using chrome or using a clean chromium derivate makes a difference for the final user experience, as much the new edge is different from chrome. So based on the same engine, there is still lot of variations.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    but i dont want it.. I uninstalled chrome edge

I use Firefox

KissSh0t likes this.

11. Endymion

Endymion Member Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    Firefox master race

KissSh0t likes this.
  12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I don't disagree haha.

13. patteSatan

patteSatan Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390
    In one way, I want windows 98SE back, but then again, netscape is long gone, but forcing ppl to use stupid browsers are what MS does best nowadays, thank god Im learning to use linux.

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I've been using Chromium Edge since it became available (dev versions on work PC before that). Honestly, for browsing Firefox sucks balls. There are some dev tool things that I like more than on Chromium but that's about it. It's impossible to have Finnish spellcheck on Firefox. Edge handles Finnish and English at the same time since it supports Windows spell checker. Chrome does now too thanks to Microsoft but I hardly see any point in using Chrome when there's Edge (which in my opinion is better than Chrome).

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Firefox is not as fast as used to me, but atlest i can make look the way i want it to look and dont have problem with how Firefox handles cookies and data, Firefox actual clear that stuff on exit, Chrome and MS chrome clear that upon restart which i dont like. Less the changed that so actual clears that on exit

16. Erick

Erick Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060 Super 8GB
    As long as it's customizable by businesses and enterprises, then chuck the old browser. Else, the vulnerability count will go up.

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Edge chromium falls back to an embedded IE sandboxed plugin for these cases, it just needs admin to push out the policy.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/edge-ie-mode

18. blandead

blandead Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 6970 2GB
  19. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    I use chrome Edge it's chrome minus the frequent breaking updates and bloatware don't get me started on Firefox's HTML5 performance which is pathetic by any standards i get triple the frames rates in chrome/Edge over Firefox which doesn't even support all that much of the standard.