Microsoft will Increase Windows license fees for high-end hardware

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 30, 2018.

1. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    What is high end then? And how long? Will the fees decrease again after my high end pc is just medium level after 3 years? ;)

airbud7 and KissSh0t like this.
  2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Asking the real questions.

:>

airbud7 and DocStrangelove like this.
  3. crashburn162

crashburn162 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Wc
    You do know that cracked win10 uses windows update right ? I am using win10 cracked edition and it updates normally every cracked version of windows works the same way as the paid one. As any small country every IT company works for other big country markets so this is normal. Anyway if this happens there will be a negative feedback for sure and just more people will just download windows off a torrent site put it on a flash drive and install it.

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    I don't see why someone would go throught the trouble of cracking Windows without adding his own little backdoor while he's at it. Wouldn't he also need to keep cracking it anew constantly? I don't see how MS wouldn't "patch" the crack if you allow Windows Update to run normally.

And no, I wouldn't actually know since I don't run a pirated Windows.

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Or, you know, again, it could take up 50% of the $200 laptop and 12.5% of the $800 laptop. If we're all being equal, ofcourse, then that's the way it should be.

Stop complaining that you can get a pre-built PC cheaper due to these tiered systems unless you want to pay full price for them regardless.

I feel like most people who are arguing against this and are upset about it do not understand how retail works between retail companies. Why this is even news makes zero sense, since you don't see how retail companies interact with eachother most of the time, so why are we now?

Companies more often then not give better prices to companies or offers or products that sell more, AKA bring more business, and higher prices that don't. This is no different.

Cheaper computers both need to stay cheap with cheaper software and so that they can sell more of them more often. More expensive computers, do not. More expensive computers are not intended to be sold like hot-cakes.

Can you really tell me that a laptop that is $200, and microsoft gets, say, $20 from each one, that sells $1000 worth of laptops within the same time as a $1000 laptop, that microsoft will get, say, $60 per, is really such a bad thing?

Microsoft made $100 from the $1000 worth of $200 laptops in the same timeframe as the $1000 laptop got microsoft $60......So even though microsoft "charges" more for the higher end computer, they also net less. This is how business' and retail work, it's always how they work, they are more likely to give "better" deals to better selling companies/products/etc, because it ultimately gets them more money in the end, then trying to charge the same higher price for lower selling companies/products/etc.

There's literally nothing new here.

And again, unless we all want to just say "NAH, we don't want different prices, software is software!" Then we better be ready to pay FULL PRICE for pre-built computers with the OS, as just buying the OS itself.

Incorrect. Customers will not notice, only business' will notice. I guarantee you when/if this happens, there will be zero, absolutely zero notice-ability, because you will NEVER be able to say "oh this computer is this price because of the OS", as the only way you could compare computers, would be different models at that point, which will have different hardware, and because of that very piece right there, would never be able to be attributed to the OS. As well, since hardware changes prices as well, especially due to RAM/Memory prices recently, there literally would be no way to say if the SAME exact laptop with the same exact model number became more expensive, that it wouldn't be due to the hardware within said laptop. So again, customers will not notice, on business' will notice.

This is how reality works.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  6. chronek

chronek Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
    when ReactOS speeds up development? We really need old fashioned operating system

7. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    I am smelling an early April Fools here folks...

ManofGod and Mufflore like this.
  8. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    OS piracy never went anywhere: first time i upgraded windows 8 to a free win10 key, then i re-installed and key wasn't valid again, so i got a key for like 20$, it worked but after re-installing (i do a fresh windows install maybe every 6 months) this key was also gone, not working on new install.
    I moved to Russian win10 crack, it works fine.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Why do we "need" an "old fashioned operating system"??? I upgraded more to get away from that old, boring look and feel of Windows than for features. MS could have packaged all the same features into that old, boring UI and I would have saved a lot of money.

10. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025

Sounds a lot like how I was being forced to pay over $460/mo (for just me) for a decent health care plan under Obamacare so that people with half my yearly income could get the same or better plan for literally $20-40/mo. Prior to obamacare I was paying $169/mo for almost identical coverage.

11. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Do you just make this stuff out of the blue or are you just repeating what your favorite news (see: fake) is feeding you? To be fair, this would have been accurate prior to 2017, but that's not the case anymore. And don't confuse capitalism with Corporatism because they are vastly different. Obama in an attempt to give capitalism a bad name, spent 8 years picking winners and losers, either by massive subsidies, zero interest loans, or by regulating competitors.

This has almost completely ended since Trump took office, allowing the free market to dictate who succeeds and who fails. He's also stepped up and blocked quite a few corporate mergers which would have had a detrimental impact on consumers such as the AT&T/Time Warner, Broadcomm, as well as antitrust legislation in cases such as U.S. v. TransDigm, and U.S. v. ABI and SABMiller .

On top of all this, there is plenty of rumors about this new Administration being in the process of bringing antitrust suits against some of the largest tech monopolies, such as google and possibly amazon.

12. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    First things first they should block all non windows 10 systems and force them upgrade to the superior OS. Enough with the noobs. They should earn money this way and later hardware wise.

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Superior lol.
    Windows 10 is a downgrade unless you value loss of privacy and like turning over control of your OS and its stability to Microsoft, and not with positive effect.
    Its a terrible OS.
    The extremely slow uptake should be proof enough.

14. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    I use Microsoft OS since "MS-DOS" era. I approve evolution. I don't like slow Windows 7 with less stability. I am a power user with lots of gaming too. Windows 10 are at least 2 times faster in everything. I don't really care about most people not participating in the change.

Even millions of users are less educated than me in terms of computing, IT, informatics etc. I love my relationship with Microsoft they are professionals and they need to feed employees. I am not living a pathetic life only for my morals or craziness about "privacy". LMAO.

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    So have I.
    Evolution is fine when it doesnt result in crap.
    Not everything that evolves is a good idea.

Windows 7 is very stable, windows 10 is not.

cough, bullshit.

You posted for no reason then.

It seems your education is rather biased, I would get that addressed.
    You can love it all you want, you are in the minority.
    The only pathetic element here is the level of butt licking.

KissSh0t and lucidus like this.

16. Abc666

Abc666 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 1070 8GB
    Microsoft is masters of comming up with bad ideas.

17. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    So, make cheaper licenses for OEM companies on low-end hardware is good, but not the opposite? Do you realize this will impact the OEM industry only and not you spending insane money for a 1080 TI? If you want a spyware, just have a look at your phone.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Well not sure about that, health care is a little more needed than the right windows version, and with software you at least have the chance to pirate it :D