Microsoft: why TPM chips are required for Windows 11

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Wrinkly

Wrinkly Member

GPU:
    Radeon 290 / 4GB
    Forcing TPM now assigns an incredible amount of hardware to the scrapheap at a time where we are supposed to be more responsible. I myself still use an Ivy Bridge 3770k as my main development machine as its been so stable. I use 4 4TB SSDs and 1 512GB SSD, 32GB of DDR3 and a 3080. Most of my clients have Intel gen 4-7 PCs although laptops tend to be more recent gen 7+. These are businesses using between 5 and 25 PCs who will feel a need to update, because 11 is greater than 10, meaning new hardware and OS/Office software due to OEM versions.

Microsoft have already announced that Direct IO and Auto HDR are not comming to Windows 10. I doubt they will add Android support to Windows 10 as this is a good reason for upgrading.

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If the requirement is a 1.2 TPM at the end, then you should also be OK.

I'm starting to think that Microsoft is getting hate for the mess that the OEMs and the motherboard manufacturers made.

3. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 5700 XT TUF
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    mackintosh and pharma like this.
  4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I emailed ASRock about it to see if there is some other setting I need to change. Could even be a Windows issue since all I did was move everything from 1 board to another without reinstalling Windows....

5. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Windows doesn't report tpm as supported when using tpm.msc on my bro's Asus Rampage IV Extreme and the Asus M5A97 2.0, and I haven't found any option in the BIOS either.
    Will check on my main PC with the Asus Maximus VI Extreme when I'm back at my place, but I have been planning on upgrading when Alder Lake is out and see how it competes with Ryzen.

It's obvious that this will severely hamper the uptake of Windows 11 if Microsoft stands by enforcing it.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    They're too old.... Nothing Pre-8th Gen Core series from Intel is officially supported..... Nothing Pre-Ryzen 2000 series from AMD is officially supported.... All 3 of the named boards were released years before any supported processor.

7. Airbud

Airbud Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 1060 XLR8
  8. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE
    I'm happy to have it archived on this thread that I believe TPM will not be a good thing for the average user.
    Brace yourselves for a torrent of DRM uses in new and invasive ways we simply have not yet considered.

This is a big business move being sold as security, and we all know ordinary people will swallow anything to have the perception of being more secure.
    Have people always been this stupid ? Or is it a 21st century thing ?

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    neither has a tpm module or header.

10. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700XT Gaming OC
    What happens if you are running Windows 11 and the TPM module fails? Had some laptops at work where some modules temporarily fail and Office apps start complaining and some like Outlook stop working. Powering off is usually enough but sometimes requires disconnecting the battery. Other times the TPM module died. Windows instantly becomes unusable?

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It boots with some weird TPM error and makes you log into your Microsoft account and reset your pin/windows hello if you have one. I flashed an updated bios this weekend with 11 installed which turned off the TPM and that was the result. Dunno if it's similar if it fails. Seems like they are storing or verifying the account credentials and whatnot in the TPM?

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    is the MS account still mandatory? from what read it was only for "home" I still refuse to use to MS account to this day

pharma likes this.
  13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No idea for 11, I run pro but I use the account. I would think it's similar to 10.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I no longer have 11 installed, but had used Intel PTT to install it. Curious, I disabled it later to see what would happen, but nothing unusual happened. The OS continued to work fine without any issue or warnings. So I wonder if this is related to the module option only but not other TPM alternatives.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Were you logged into a Microsoft account? Basically everything that happened was related to the Microsoft account. The error message that came up was on a Microsoft Authentication window - basically forced me to re-login and reset my pin/windows hello authentication.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Probably not. Always skip the MS account option during install. Hope that wont be a requirement when 11 released.

17. Erick

Erick Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060 Super 8GB
    Most current AMD chipsets (Zen) have two fTPM's.

18. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    My GA-X79-UD3 has an empty TPM socket.
    Searched Amazon for one but I'm unsure of what I'm finding, which isn't much.
    Gigabyte's website states the ones on there doesn't support X79, yet the empty socket is there.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021 at 5:50 AM
  20. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Technologies