Microsoft: why TPM chips are required for Windows 11

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    When running Windows 11 a TPM (Trusted Platform Modules) chip will become mandatory, the purpose of TPM 2.0 is "to protect encrypted keys, user credentials and other confidential data behind th...

Microsoft: why TPM chips are required for Windows 11

DannyD and Lily GFX like this.
  2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Only $75 for a TPM module ? ..... More like $500+

Lily GFX likes this.
  3. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    There`s a tpm on ebay....current bid £220 with 14 hours left....WTF

rl66 likes this.
  4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Not sure why anyone would buy a TPM for over £200. Since that money could be better spent towards upgrading to a newer CPU/Mobo.

5. kcajjones

kcajjones Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 470 1.28GB
    All this fuss but I would bet that this requirement is cracked by hackers before the official iso is even available.

tived and Passus like this.
  6. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Not bad, i see that sheep still buy what they have been told them to buy a whatever price...
    A top quality external TPM 2.0 module is 30 Euro at max a normal one around 15 Euro (both without local tax)

KissSh0t likes this.
  7. DanielRX

DanielRX Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Merc319
    I have a version that is said to be the beta of windows11, she accepted the bypass ok!
    i7 4th generation here (Haswell) B85m-e / BR, WITHOUT TPM / TPM2.0 or PTT.

Attached Files:

8. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    @DanielRX It's possible that this dev version does not have TPM requirement implemented yet.

DanielRX likes this.
  9. TalentX

TalentX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX4090 AIO
    Well, that isn't exact.
    It is true that the features you mentioned are integrated, however the core feature of TPM is somewhat connected to digital rights management, e.g. encrypting data of streaming services, so the user on the machine cannot sniff the data that he/she is streaming. This is quite controversy and probably will not be suitable with some rights, at least in the EU.

Since Windows 11 is more or less a Feature-Update to Windows 10, which is just rebranded, TPM on Windows 10 was only optional up until now. Thus there is the theory, why they rebranded the "update" to Windows 11, making a new OS out of it, because this allows Microsoft to define new requirements without hassle.

However, it is yet to be seen how exactly Microsoft is going to really force it though. On my VM I could install the leaked version of Windows 11 without any issues and with TPM disabled.

Edit: TPM has received quite some critic and I am also against it, because it limits the users access to the machine and may even harm you more than it gives any benefit. The HASH-Keys are also generated beyond any standards, which means the encryption created by TPM is very trivial at this point. Also if something breaks in combination with TPM, you may loose access to all your Data or irrepressibly damage your hardware. By enabling TPM, you also basically grand access to organisations like the NSA taking control of your machine without you even knowing it, since - as I've already mentioned - the HASH-Keys are stored beyond the user's range that is also not even tied to any certified standards - the encryption is basically non-certified, thus not trusted.
    I advice not to use TPM at all.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    ZXRaziel and mohiuddin like this.
  10. DanielRX

DanielRX Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Merc319

then try to install there and you will see that there is a need and it is mandatory to use the system TPM2.0 or fTPM, what I did there was mix the official Windows10 ISO with the Windows11 Beta ISO, so I was able to do the Bypass, if I hadn't done that, I wouldn't be able to install this version on the 4th generation i7, try there and let me know later.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Very easy to do. Modify the ISO and replace appraiserres.dll with the win 10 version of the file.

DanielRX likes this.
  12. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    @DanielRX All right, you didn't mention from the start that you modified the ISO :)

DanielRX likes this.
  13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I am baffled. Not yet released, not yet proved that it's mandatory (ISO/registry hack) and yet people are stumbling over to get those TPM things.
    Shows how we function, really.
    Writing this from my insecure, old and deprecated Linux Zen latest KDE distribution

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    final release will not have a kernel hard requirement, it'll still work on mbr/bios too.

this installer level block will be patched day 1.

mooney4321, DanielRX and SpajdrEX like this.
  15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Just use Win 10 until EOL date, by that time your current system is due for an upgrade anyways.

Don't waste money on scalped modules.

16. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Only truth in that statment.

17. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    whatcouldgowrong.jpg

Did you guys even read the article? "83% of companies suffered a firmware-based attack". Your answer to this is to break the OS protection against this lol.

There is no relatively modern CPU without TPM support you can just enable. Otherwise you can stay with perfectly fine Windows 10 for another half decade.

Mineria likes this.
  18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    TPM isn't to prevent a firmware based attack.

19. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Users should stop elitism. Especially when their maximum knowledge stops on IT support or active directory. Developers should have the upper hand on those matters. I do not think Microsoft developers have issues for their new OS to work with older hardware. Marketing and sales says otherwise.

sykozis likes this.
  20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Nothing to do with this point. The person I quoted said he installed it on a Haswell system and I pointed out he modified the ISO. Pretty sure this will not be doable by time of final release.

PrMinisterGR likes this.