Microsoft urges companies to dump Windows XP

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Sep 19, 2011.

1. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Long time no see :D

It amazes me that people still use XP, I can understand it if your not into computers or even if you dont truly utilize one. However im not sure why company logic risks security.

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    A few years ago, I came across an accounting firm still using Dos 3.0, 5.22 and Win3.1. I asked the owner why he hadn't upgraded and his response was "These systems have all functioned perfectly since the day they were purchased. The software still does it's job. Why should I replace tools that still work? You know, time is money and I don't have enough of either to learn new programs." Can't really argue with the logic....

3. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    If Operating Systems were cars...

4. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    I thought I was alone...

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'm happy with 7.

6. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    by that time it will proberly be windows 9 :wanker:

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Windows9 should be reaching beta by that point.

8. Seref

Seref Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 GHz Vapor-X
    I know an engineer that still uses a DOS system because it has a program he needs. I'm sure there's a modern version somewhere but no amount of convincing can get him to use something newer.

9. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280
    Legacy programs are programs that developed in the past but are no longer supported due to various reason. They are also legacy software because they are usually controlling the important part of the companies since they are developed first and thus all the other newer software are build 'around' the program. Migrating legacy software is a huge risk since your whole system is depends on it and any problem could break the whole system apart. And since these legacy software are developed for older OS as well, this is the reason why a lot of companies still use DOS/legacy system/OS etc.

Its not about not using newer version but the reward of using newer version does not merit the migration or upgrades.

10. erm

erm Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 1GB
    in the computer field we always talk about new hardware and new software, so why be ignorant and not try to progress? But no, they remain rather mummified ! asd
    when an era is over, it's over ... nothing matters more! XP RIP :biggun::banana::nerd::3eyes:

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Yep, I know an electronics engineer that uses Dos because the software he uses isn't available for Windows, still does everything he needs it to...and the Windows compatible alternatives to the software he uses he says cost thousands of dollars.

Progress just for the sake or progress is rarely an accepted concept by most.... Whether an "era is over" or not means little if there's no financial benefit to "upgrading"...

12. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Well they can urge all they want but unless MS is going to give copies out free a company today has issues with a sluggish economy. MS needs to also push out a SP4 for XP as there is well over 100 updates now out past SP3...1 final injection to allow those that are still using it and can't upgrade to last a little longer till end of life and no more updates are pushed.

13. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    Once XP is abandoned I hope software companies will stop making games for XP and DX9. It really is time to move on to DX11 with newer operating systems and utilize better hardware.

14. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Not at all, still running XP here, can't afford to move to Windows 7 at the moment. :thumbup:

15. macdaddy

macdaddy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X
    my workplace is still running XP !!. They be stuffed, but then again what you expect when they use dell boxes that are about 10 years old.

16. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    People can easily use legacy software by using a virtual machine with VMWare or VirtualBox. There's no problem with upgrading the main operating system of their computer.

17. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Battlefield 3 will not run on Windows XP...DX10/11 only...

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    It depends on the exact type of system. My former employer for example, runs a Unix server. The "workstations" all run WindowsXP with terminal emulators that connect to the Unix server. So, to "upgrade" to Win7 they'd now have to login to the system 3 times before they can start work. Once for the host OS, once for the VM and once for the terminal. That's also 3 user accounts per computer that have to be managed. Much easier just to stick with WinXP....also cheaper.

19. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    Very true, let's move on plx.

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    I urge Microsoft to dump Windows 8 if the final release will be anything remotely like the alpha/preview release. I also urge them to stop making 32 bit OSes, it's not 2002 anymore.