Microsoft to release major Windows 10 updates twice a year

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I did the in place upgrade for both the Anniversary and Creator's updates without any problems.

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    not the point I know it "can" be done I more intrested in can they do it without whole reinstalled of the OS and WITH need to download 4gb iso.

Cause the build "updates" reset settings upon upgrade among other issue that happen

I did the update to 3 pcs 1 worked fine, 2 had broke startmenu after the update, and the only one that updated fine was VM upgrade, the other 2 were on real hw.

Inplace upgrades still leave alot to be desired.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  3. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    I can't agree. I think they work fine. I will always try an in place first (after making a full system backup). I upgraded this machine that has a HDD and my tablet that has a MMC solid state drive. One AMD based and the other Intel Atom. I never use VM.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    they you been very lucky be greatful

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    You have a point that there are still a lot of variations in the in-place upgrade system. They have improved the whole update process quite a lot for the desktop for Creators, took a lot of concepts from the phone which is quite robust with updates. We'll see in the next one I guess.

6. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    The creator's update did reset a couple of things but it was no big deal and only to be expected. It reverted my tweak to remove the arrows on my desktop icons and it turned System Restore back on. That was it and it was easily fixed. With the exception of the arrows tweak, I never do anything to the OS that can't be done through it's own internal settings.

7. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Media Center, Desktop Gadgets, control over how you administer updates to your own machine, and they even took away the Win32 calculator. I actually used that still.

For a while, you could get updates to a usable setting using group policy, but now MS in their wise decision making process, decided that they would add a flag to specific updates that overrides any settings you have enabled unless you're using Enterprise. So if they want to force an update, they can. The only thing that I appreciate is that there's now a group policy option to disable the "active hours" nonsense. Now it can't log you off to update no matter what if enabled.

The creator update also curiously broke my Nvidia driver install. There was only one option in control panel after the update, which was stereoscopic 3d settings. Everything else was missing. I had to reinstall. And I also found out by doing that that the newest driver breaks support for Fallout 2 in DX9 render path, something I'm currently playing. Not Microsoft's fault directly, but annoying nonetheless lol

8. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Yeah, but, some of us W7 users are testing W10 as well. I turn it on now and again...:nerd:

9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    None of those have anything to do with Windows 10s updates, but rather windows 10 vs previous windows.

10. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    The update thing I mentioned was directly related to this update. As I said, they changed it around so that they can force an update if they feel like it. I guess I should have said "I look forward to less control every update" because that would have made more sense.

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again..

12. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Ha, good one (Silence of the Lambs!).

13. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    Huge LOL....

Ubuntu does scheduled releases on April and October (Ubuntu XX.4 and XX.10) since ages ago so MS felt they should do the same cuz it's popular (?) :p

Just a gut feeling but this probably is yet another marketing decision with decremental effects for the already crappy win 10 ecosystem. Why? Because I seriously doubt the teams at MS are used to this work cycles and Win10 in itself is not properly designed for such rolling updates.

Ubuntu can do this since Linux in itself is a big collection of more or less "independent" and "interchangeable" pieces. But windows was always a more monolithic and coupled OS, if they force updates things will undoubtedly start (continue) breaking for lot of users.

14. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Media Center was always an option, and I have a calculator app that works just fine and came with Windows 10. Gadgets were always silly and unnecessary. I have no problems with the update procedure. I have yet to be logged off or have the machine restarted without choosing to do it myself and I have the Home Edition.

The only thing I don't like is that this Creator's Update has removed all links to the old style Control Panel except in the Windows System folder in the Start Menu. I just pinned it to my Start menu. It used to be in the win+x (or right click Start button) menu but not any more. Having said that, The Control Panel is getting less needed all the time as they keep adding it's functions to the settings options.

Yes there have been problems with Nvidia and their drivers but for AMD users, it's been smooth sailing.:) None of my 3 machines using Win 10 have Nvidia. Two have AMD and the other one uses Intel drivers. When I think about it, in my now 18 years of being on line and gaming with 5 different computers, I have never had a computer with Nvidia graphics.

15. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Releasing two major updates a year is all fine and well. More interested in when or if these updates are going to stop being free and what they would be charging for these updates when they stop being free. Yearly subscription that guarantees at least two major updates? This type of question is more important to me as a home user than how often they will be upgrading the OS.

16. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    They're not going to stop being free. Everything Microsoft has ever said about Windows 10 confirms that.

17. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Oh right, I forgot about the control panel thing. That really irritated me since I'm used to going there with the win+x menu. The dumbest thing about it is that the settings menu is a horrendous mess, with settings not being where you would expect them to be, and many things still requiring the control panel to adjust. So why remove that? It's like an intentional hand slap. "We don't want you using the control panel, despite it being a better way to adjust most settings". Lol MS

18. No1True

No1True Guest

GPU:
    Same thing about the browsers. Somehow ALL browsers ended up with IDENTICAL messed up settings navigation.. scattered everywhere with disabled toolbars and everything. well.. chrome is the worst by far yet loved the most by dumb people. You cant find 80% settings in chrome that are in firefox opera etc etc...

Its just a trend really a bad one. :|

19. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    I don't have comparisons but games work just fine for me. I only installed 10 because I wanted to play Forza but liked it so much I ended up using it more and more instead of 7.
    Logically, without all of the normal W10 telemetry and other guff, things must run faster.

20. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    One can assume that the LTBS version will receive the same treatment ?