Microsoft to add GPU utilization Tab in Windows 10 task manager

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 22, 2017.

1. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I think he is dual booting and already has ten installed so he's just talking the last major update not the free upgrade from 7.

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Okay.

Well for everyone else that doesn't have me on ignore:

I just don't like the idea of people saying "feature x doesn't effect me, thus it's bloat/useless/i don't want it/etc". I don't use Edge on the desktop, I find it lacking in a number of places - but on my Surface? It's 10x better interface for touch than any of the other modern browsers combined. And while there are only a few window store apps that I consider worthwhile, the ones that are done well, work extremely well with touch and make the Surface in tablet mode actually useful. So I don't find them as bloat at all, especially when like I said, overall performance with Windows 10 is up and it's overall install footprint is down.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ah right yea, misread the last word as 7 :)

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Seems about right, 8gb sytem ram + 6gb vram.

5. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Your post about what app you use to monitor GPU utilization was valueless. No one cares what app you use.

There's no reason it shouldn't be included in windows, the end.

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Exactly, the less third party apps needed to do this stuff the better.

I'm sure i remember I remember a similar discussion with W8 not long ago when built in virtual drive support was called useless, or disc burning in W7.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Is no-one reading properly today?

GPU in TM = Moderately useful, but just about everyone here has GPUz and MSI AB installed which contain a world more info than this, so how is it needed?

Is everyone going to uninstall AB and GPUz because MS include this?

No.

And my point was, I am not going to install this version of Windows purely because MS included a GPU tab, I`ll stick with my 3rd party and LTSB

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I quite like GPU-Z myself.

I think Windows 10 would be a really nice OS if it was kind of..... how to explain... more control given to the user over the os, ability to uninstall unwanted "apps" including store and onedrive without having to hack the os, and ability to actually turn off telemetry.

9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    The only one not reading correctly is you, at your own posts.

Again, like others have stated, no one cares what software you use, or if you or anyone else is going to remove it. Literally, no one cares.

And just because you, and others won't uninstall what you are currently using, does not mean it should not be a default program.

Stop purposefully misunderstanding what people state and ignoring them to go right back at them with the "that's not what i said", because we all know what you are saying, and we don't care.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Cool, another iggy

11. chronek

chronek Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
    More than you think would use it, just imagine, your laptop slowing in games, quick view on task manager would show that cpu is not 100% but is overheating and throttling...

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I think that would be a popular addition.

It's not like it's an overly techy feature, overheating electronics and fan noise are something even the most casual users care about.

As for the minimalist view of an OS, i get that as i made XP look like 98 for a decade, but it's nothing more than letting your own OCD rule you and once I learned to ignore it everything was good.

13. madagent

madagent Maha Guru

GPU:
    Voodoo
    The less 3rd party apps needed the better. Why not say, that you still use windows 98 with all 3rd party apps if you don't like useful features being added? I'd rather have less to worry about installing when I'm building a new computer.

14. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Nobody seems to care about each other posts but care enough to post a reply to post(s) they don't "care".

Do you care?

I care sometimes. :D

15. anthos

anthos Guest

GPU:
    -
    I am not saying it is not useful. It is, a lot. But you need to take into consideration your average windows user. Don't think the users of these forums or any other technical forums but the regular people out there. Most of them just use windows to browse, write an essay and stuff like that. They are oblivious to the task manager in general let alone the concept of monitoring gpu temps.

16. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
  17. chronek

chronek Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
    I was saying that some normal users when something goes bad usually open task manager, maybe they not think about monitorig temp and would never install 3rd party app to monitor it, but when they would open task manager and spot unusual high temp, they would know that something going bad... Almost all gamers checked at least once their cpu and gpu temps.

18. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Maybe they should add a warning that tells people to dust their computers out.

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I don't think the normal user is oblivious to the task manager, they might go the long way and hit ctrl/alt/dlt to get to it but I see non tech people using it all the time.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    It temps you enough post updates for all the builds xD