Microsoft thinks there might not be new console generations

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Upgradeable consoles would be good even if it was only the GPU

Future console games will be coded/patched to use various GPU's depending on the GPU you are using the game would enable more graphic options.

It would bring consoles to the upgrade world fanboy heaven

This would be good for the PC only 1 brand in consoles is bad

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  3. Flacid Monkey

Flacid Monkey Guest

GPU:
    980GTX
    So basically - Computers, linux, PC & OSx

I doubt an upgradable console will be made. More like a console with expansion room, much like the N64 with it's RAM slot upgrade.
    I see no point in this. It will make for bad releases, lots of bugs.

Look where we are now with PC releases or console day 1 releases.

4. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    They're making it sound like current consoles will play future titles but you'll need to keep buying the latest iteration of Xbox if you want the latest in GFX.
    Something like GeForce Now will eventually take over consoles. Pay a small monthly subscription for up-to-date GFX instead of buying a new console every iteration.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O

So yeah, like smartphones are upgradable...

All I read in this short post is 'we want you to buy new hardware not only all 7 years but each year, just like some PC enthusiast do.'

We don't need consoles for that, only working, simpler OSs. Or what Spets says, streaming games alltogether with a fixed console that just happens to process displaying and inputs.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It is not bad idea as long as they implement some kind of smart scaling, so the older "No longer versions" of consoles can play new games at lower resolutions/details.

One wonders why AMD absorbs company doing exactly that.

7. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Well I'd like to see, how they want to solve the problem of optimisation on all the iterations of their console, since they lack HW to do it the same way a PC does. If a game takes 2 years to develop and there will be a new xbox each year, then they will need to optimise the game for at least three separate consoles, which just add cost to the developer.

On the other hand, maybe they are just very sure of the DX12 as an API and their xboxes will be just a differently packaged prebuilt PC.

8. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    They want to make the entire PC platform closed like Apple.

Only MS approved GPUs. Only MS approved RAM sticks. Only MS approved add-in cards. Only way to purchase and install software is through the MS store.

When that happens, you essentially have Xboxes with upgradability.

9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Because AMD is in bed with M$ since dx12. That's why.

Or you try to get somewhere else for gaming. It's not like they aren't trying to bring up alternatives, like linux based steamOS, or Vulkan API which is supposed to run on linux and even android (maybe chromeOS). Some are already seeing it the same way as you.

10. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7700 XT
    This will spell doom for AMD if they no longer can get contracts for console APU designs.

11. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Who said they would not?

12. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    As consoles currently are built, yes. But if they really make consoles that are upgradeable, they could probably work on an easy process to chance APU (and cooler), and they're back in business. Or change mainboards that are inside a plastic casing with their soldered chips, exchanging them along, who knows what they're up to. So far it's only been talk, no real plans or details discussed.

13. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7700 XT
    What's the point of an upgradable console? That goes against it's entire philosophy. Might as well just play on PC.

14. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    I dont think there will be a console each years, but the 7 years generation is surely over.

When he speak about a family of devices, and looking how today you can install external gpu's, external storages, i can imagine some parts could be well easy to upgrade this way, and less costly than a complete consoles for the users.

let alone that now consoles run on x86, as the tablets surface and windows pc.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  15. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    But does it really matter ? If they update a console with eg new gpu, then that device is effectively a new console that someone has to optimise for.

16. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    It looks like they want to refresh hardware every 2 years and the games would have backwards compatibility, 1 or 2 generations.

17. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    I still think there will be next generation,regarding the MS,looks like they lost first battle with X1 and X360 they lost narrowly

Upgradeable console,I just don't think this will be possible,MS hopping it will be future of new consoles,but I don't think Sony will follow suit,MS already have Xbox app I think on W10 ?

Thanks,Jura

18. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    That's exactly why I stopped buying consoles with the PS3 already. Those few exclusive titles didn't justify buying a console for €400 or more to play God of War again, for instance. As well as graphic fidelity being crap compared to a well built PC.

19. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Funny thing is people spend a fortune every year or two upgrading their last £400/£500 apple phone or tablet to the next new one, so i am surprised it has taken consoles so long to go down that same route of upgrading every few years

20. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Microsoft who debated not making the Xbox one thinks there's no future. I think this is just the same high ups who wanted to cancel the games division