1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft Talks About Spectre and Meltdown Patches Performance Impact

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I'm assuming it's because those theories are more entertaining than boring old facts.

I have noticed the trend myself though, but we now live in age were young adults these days have grown up in a world that revolves around the internet, and don't know anything different.

It looks like it's on-going and I'm in second category. I would be very surprised if I actually noticed anything though

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    The issue is that they don't know anything different, and about that they don't think about either. Not thinking is the way of the 21st century.

3. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX760 270X GTX970
    You can't use more than one BIOS for motherboard at the time if that's what you're thinking/talking about. OK you can, if motherboard has Dual BIOS with some kind of software or hardware switch to choose what BIOS you want to use prior to OS boot.

Solution #1 is to wait for motherboard manufacturer to release new BIOS for motherboard you're using with latest CPU microcodes made by CPU manufacturer to mitigate Meltdown/Spectre security flaw. Guess in case of your Asus ROG Strix Z270F mobo that last BIOS should contain updated Intel ME but no one can guarantee you that, probably most of the manufacturers will aim their efforts just to update CPU microcode and throw that BIOS out for public as fast as they can.

Solution #2 is to mod existing latest BIOS for that motherboard of yours using latest CPU microcode + latest Intel ME. It's not that hard but I'm almost sure only advanced users would do that.

Solution #3 is to download and update CPU microcodes in Windows manually, you can find a lot of about it here on G3D and all aroun the web.

Solution #4 is to wait for Microsoft to push latest CPU microcodes via Windows Update like they did in the past, June 2015:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3064209/june-2015-intel-cpu-microcode-update-for-windows
    Will it happen, nobody knows but personally I think it's the most elegant solution for most users.

4. 321Boom

321Boom Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 Ti
    Shouldn't the new version of BIOS that came out 2 days ago have all of the updates from the previous BIOSes in it?

5. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    You just use latest bios file because that file contains all of the updates that were before. For example if there are 5 bios files,let's name them 1,2,3,4,5 you need to update just number 5 because that file contains updates that were before in bios files 1,2,3,4 .. you get the point

6. ninja750

ninja750 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Pulse
    any impact comparative with haswell before and update patch?

7. ivymike10mt

ivymike10mt Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    From Microsoft side.. I'ts look like another marketing BS to Me.
    So what causing difference in performance, between updated Windows 10 and Windows 7.
    Why performance degradation with older Windows, are more noticable..?
    It's Kernel differences.. drivers.. what ?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  8. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Cry-Baby again^....why you always post negative s*** about other members/ get a life dude...

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's in the original blog/article.

ivymike10mt likes this.
  10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    I was thinking the same but i wasn´t sure that´s why i asked. Thanks everyone for the help!

I read that it´s due to some kernel differences regarding how both systems handle the physical memory and stuff like that... Sorry about being so vague but that technical stuff is basically alien to me... I´m sure some members here with knowledge about the matter can explain this better.

Anyway i´m still using W7 and if i notice something strange or different i´ll post about it.

ivymike10mt likes this.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    My old MSI z68a... allows to load BIOS/FW from flash drive as "Test Mode". So you can test if BIOS/FW works well before you flash.
    I do not think it is only one. My solution is simple, Intel desktop will no longer be used in way which would allow this vulnerability to take effect.

12. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX760 270X GTX970
    Nice feature, didn't know something like this exist on some MSI motherboards. Tbh I'm not much in love with MSI motherboards, had used them up to AM2/AM2+ era then after swiching to LGA775 jumped into Asus train (sometimes GigaByte and ASRock mobos also) and never looked back at MSI. MSI GPU's are fine as far as I'm concerned but not so sure about motherboards, saw way too many of these dead in PC's of my friends and relatives. Last MSI motherboard I've bought was MSI Z97 PC Mate because needed something Z97 based, cheap and OC'able with HDMI for one of my HTPC's to be paired with Pentium G3258 capable of 4.8GHz (now mostly used @4GHz with Intel stock 1150 cooler) and that mobo pushed G3258 without issues to 4.8GHz with big Thermaltake Frio on top of it. Can't complain about this mobo, past few years it serves me well for daily HTPC use.

13. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  14. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    2600/480(all stock windows7) here! .....I will never update unless y'all tell me to.

Assassin's Creed....100+ fps@1080....Far Cry 5 hurry up!

No slow down for me ever!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    dsbig and kruno like this.
  15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Nobody owes you anything.
    Besides there's already real stats across various websites.

If anything your post is that of a troll.

TheDeeGee likes this.

16. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    (.)an X
    Yes, seems perfectly reasonable to me.

We're seeing up to 25% reduction is DB performance on RHEL, that really is a killer impact.

After patching, depending on the application type, there can be a lot more context switching required. OS that are better in that area will see less of a performance hit.

OS that support PCID running on a CPU that also supports it can mitigate performance the hit almost entirely as I understand it.

17. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    That is a Sandybridge CPU, so older then Haswell and likely to have a more noticeable slowdown from the patch to fix the security vulnerabilities.

18. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I just installed the update to my MSI gaming laptop that has a 7700HQ and no issues as of yet. I have to do some further testing.
    Then why don't you show us some stats then? Since you are the one complaining. As Agent has said we owe you nothing. Plus I reported you for your troll comment.

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Performance hit on randomly rebooting Haswell systems?

"50% of the time it works all the time."
    Or: You're running the constant risk of 100% performance hit when the patch reboots your system during use like watching anything, gaming, rendering, converting, etc. etc.

20. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    At least Intel has more secure systems for now. All AMD systems are unprotected. No support from Microsoft because of BSODs/GSODs/Crashes on boot etc. All updates are held back. WTF AMD desparate trash. Their stocks and shareholders should go to hell, they only were talking bad about Intel huh? Now what, the whole January month until February, AMD systems are in severe danger.