1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft Talks About Spectre and Meltdown Patches Performance Impact

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 10, 2018.

1. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    Actually just Intel did it

2. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
    While I haven't benchmarked, my Core i7 3930k/Titan X Pascal 12GB/32GB DDR3/SATA 3 SSDs system definitely feels more sluggish after the KB update on Windows 10 64 bit 1709. Also some games seem to perform slower, especially in regards to loading times but also overall smoothness. It's noticeable or even annoying enough that I'm thinking about rolling back the KB Update.
    On my laptop with Core i7 7700k/GTX 1080 8GB/64GB DDR4/NVMe SSDs, however, there doesn't seem to be a noticeable performance difference, after the update it performs with the same smoothness as it always has and the loading times still appear to be okay.

If DDR4 prices weren't through the roof at the moment, I'd think about upgrading my desktop, but the way it is right now, it's out of the question.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  3. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Light
    Using 8700k + 1080ti on the newest bios - microcode and windows update, ive noticed zero performance differences, and in some cases better performance made from certain patches.

Using m.2 nvme and ssds i've not noticed anything at all. if there is a drop of 1/2% i wouldn't have noticed such a thing

4. typhon6657

typhon6657 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 ti EK X
    NVM re ran the test on a new install same performence.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I look foward to seeing my dads duo core 8400 becoming even more slow, cause horible slow hdd it installed on to begin with

6. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC
    great tool is ubu for quick microcode updates and such. i use it myself. couldnt be simpler.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that is suggestive, alot people dont want to mess with bios update let alone modify them to update microcodes, majority of public wont do any of this anyway which why it is in MS and CPU makes best interested to have those microcodes pushed threw the OS.

I able to do this things if i "want" but dont like doing bios updates and sure anit gona modify bios.

Best solutions for public at large is these mircocodes are pushed threw the OS, another viable option but still probably wont be done by public at large is the cpu makers and oremobo makers release standalone update file that updates the microcode for them. but this option only work if people know about. and are will to do "manual" updates all the other options or even know how to.

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I swear my dog could die and Microsoft could get away with using that to sell me on Windows 10.

9. DW75

DW75 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    Microsoft can continue with their manipulative garbage all they want. I will never use Windows 10. Oh, pardon me, Spyware 10.

10. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    quadro K6000+Tesla M2090
    "this is not the droids you are searching for"...

Too much company talk about it right now...

You can't "brick" a windows system: you just "crash" it, brick is without possible recovery (at least not normal one)
    [​IMG]

The only way to brick is to crash the bios (ok it can be done by EUFI, but not as 1,2,3 :) )

11. Reqruiz

Reqruiz Active Member

GPU:
    XFX RX480 GTR Black
    * With Windows 8 and Windows 7 on older silicon (2015-era PCs with Haswell or older CPU), we expect most users to notice a decrease in system performance.

Haswell or older... but what about Windows 7/8 with Skylake CPU (or newer)?

12. RmVA

RmVA Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080
    So for the not so bright out there.. what do we have to do with our older systems?

CPU i5 2500
    Motherboard Asus P8P67 Rev 3.1
    Windows 10

13. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 1060 6gb
    Waiting for bemchmarks ? Anyone posted something already ? for all combinations.

14. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 Red Devil 8GB
    So in a nutshell Microsoft is using Intels flaw to sell more copies of Win 10??? Lol!

15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    The question is, did this exploit just happen to be known for half a year, yet they don't have patches at hand on day 1 of it leaking towards the public months later?
    Is it just a coincidence that they did not talk about it until the "free" upgrades to W10 are no longer available?

;)

16. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Intel pulling a Apple via the slowdown of hardware, but thinking out of the box 25 years in advance as to cover themselves. lol

17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Hehe that would mean that Intel did a very smart thing there from their business perspective.
    Let's wait another 10-25 years and see what fixes they need for the next (Meltdown and Spectre proof) chips :D

18. Embra

Embra Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Nitro+LE
    There seems to be a theme going on here with several companies.

:rolleyes:

19. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Why guru3d? Why? Why are there so many conspiracy theory nutjobs throwing around nonsense without any form of even remotely useful facts? Why so much nonsense? What has this forum become?

Sumarongi likes this.
  20. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG Strix GTX1070
    Guys regarding the BIOS update, do we have to update only the last BIOS version or more because of the flaws??? For example, Asus has just released a BIOS version two days ago but they also have an older update for the Intel Management Engine, should i get only the last one, the two of them or more???

Thanks for the help.