Microsoft Surface 2

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by StealBalls, Dec 18, 2013.

1. StealBalls

StealBalls Banned

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    Hi,

I am brand BRAND new to tablets I have never even seen one in person.

What are a few things you can do with one? and how much more can a desktop PC do over a tablet, besides the obvious like play BF4....

May I also ask, with the Microsoft Surface 2, what is RT and should i get RT or a none RT one?

I saw this and was really REALLY impressed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG1b0yBJHLM

How easy is it to surf the web on these things?

Cheers.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    One thing I can tell you is to stay away from Surface RT. Windows RT is a dead platform and will be merged with the Windows Phone OS. If you wish to get a surface, get the Surface Pro 2 as it does everything a laptop can do and arguably better.

3. StealBalls

StealBalls Banned

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    It's MORE than double the price.

At the end of that video, he actually says it's more powerful than windows RT yet in his description he lists Windows 8.1 RT

Confused I am.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    At least it won't be a paper weight like the RT :p

Then your options are Android and iOS. Tabs are best for consumption. They have editing capabilities but the size of their screens and even touch screens in general don't make them suitable for much work. I use my iPad primarily for safari and the iWork office apps.

5. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    I have been using Surface (1) Pro for like half a year. It's great. It's like best features from small laptop and tablet combined. :)

And I agree, stay away from RT and get Pro version. RT = Office for free and thats about it (no desktop). Dekstop application will not work. Pro = Desktop applications work, proper Windows 8.1.

6. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
  7. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    meh it depends, if you are already set in the microsoft world, i mean using outlook and skype and all, it makes no sense to use ios or android devices you just gonna get a lot of hate for em in the long run, the surface 2 does everything you would expect from a ms device and lasts more than any arm tablet i've seen, but if you dont care about the services and just use what better fits you in each section then go buy what most people are buying, nexus 7 or ipad mini for small tablets, or an ipad air/asus transformer for a big one

btw the surface pro is not a tablet at all, consider it an "ultrabook" in tablet form/size

8. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    Or you could go for one of the new baytrail tablets out right now (windows 8.1 desktop experience and cheap). I bought an Acer iconia w4 for $299, and think its the best bang-for-buck tablet around. Now I can write codes on my preferred desktop programs, prepare docs, and truly multi-task while on the go. Heck, I love that I can just play Baldur's gate while on the train.

9. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Do yourself a favor and get a laptop with a removable battery.

10. ManofGod

ManofGod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    What are you talking about??????? :bang: The Venue 8 Pro has Windows 8.1 on it, not Windows RT. As for the Surface 2, it really depends on what you are going to do with it. If you must have desktop apps on it, I would not bother. But, if you do not need desktop apps on it, the Surface 2 would be a great buy and it is very fast with a high resolution 1080p screen.

As for the Surface RT, if you can get one on sale, I would go for that. I purchased 2 Surface RT refurbished models with the 1 year Microsoft warranty intact for $170 each. I was also able to get the touch cover for $40. RT is not at all dead since a mess load of tablets have sold over the last couple of months with the price reduction and sales.

I am a computer professional and have no issues with the RT. (The Office 2013 on it also comes with Outlook.) Printing, usb to Ethernet and flash are fully supported on it. I wish since folks are commenting on a device that they would at least research what they are commenting on first.

11. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    If you're not careful when buying a Windows Surface tablet, you may buy one with Windows Surface RT instead of one with Windows Surface Pro.

12. ManofGod

ManofGod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Surface and Surface 2 have RT, Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2 have Windows 8.1 Pro. Hope that helps OP. Oh, and RT is working great here, much better than I expected and in my opinion, definitely worth the $170 for the tablet and $40 I paid for the Touchcover.

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Surface RT tablets are fine if you're happy with a pure Metro experience, which I wouldn't mind at all, Metro was designed for touch and for half the price of a Pro surface, I'd still buy one, I've got a laptop and a Desktop for real work

14. ManofGod

ManofGod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    I know you did not mean that personally in any way but, how would you define real work? I suppose if you have to run Photoshop or CAD on site, than a laptop is what you would need. However, that is hardly exclusive of real work.

Business people and myself get real work done on the Surface RT without a problem. I am not taking offence, I just think we may define real work a little differently. (I am an IT professional and find the RT to be excellent for what I need out of it. I got rid of my laptop because it was sitting on the bench acting as a desktop for over 2 years. (I replaced that with a desktop that I put together myself.)

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I wasn't actually replying to you at all, just stating my opinion on the whole "RT is a paperweight discussion"

Real work as in using classic desktop for x86 applications, not Metro UI for Metro Apps

Im not saying you can't use RT to get things done, in the same way that you can use MS Paint instead of Photoshop, but it wouldn't be my platform of choice for anything other than fun

16. Teko

Teko Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    To say Surface RT is a bad purchase is just silly. Microsoft will support Windows RT through at least April 11, 2017 & modern UI apps aren't going to go away, even when RT is merged with Windows Phone. The purpose of Surface RT & Surface 2 are for basic web browsing, play, entertainment and basic productivity functions in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, One Note) --- simply put, it competes with Android tablets & the iPad. On the other hand, the Surface Pro & Surface Pro 2 are intended for business & power users requiring desktop applications & more power. They're essentially extremely portable ultrabooks that's able to function as a tablet, although it would be slightly ticker & heavier than your typical tablet.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  17. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB Vision 3080 10GB
    Bro had a Surface RT... sold it, you're very limited in what you do and the windows store apps is crap as in it doesnt have much of what you would normally find on play/app store.

Other bro had a Surface Pro, it was alright, he got to use it as a tablet and drew on it and when he needed a laptop he just connected his keyboard etc.. but its pretty much lugging a all in one laptop touch screen. But its much better than the RT since its based off of 8 Pro so you can actually install regular windows programs on it.

On a side note I think the new Asus Transformer Book Duet is kinda interesting, and priced at $599 http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/06/asus-transformer-book-duet/ which has android and windows as well as you can put it on a dock for more power/keyboard. Of course we just have to wait it out to see if its actually any good but thats the concept i was looking for a few years ago.

18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lol .. android combo laptabs will severely undermine the modern windows store metro ui apps.