Microsoft: Start button killed because of low usage

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jun 29, 2012.

1. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    common Microsoft, i don't want my task bar filled up with crap, i only have IE aimp msn and explorer pinned and don't want more than that, that's the start menu's purpose

2. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    hmmm

anyway why push "start" button to close your system... not too logical

but i don't like windows 8 at all either... windows 8 preview is in the same drawer than vista and Me... that's no good for M$

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    The start button is for when you want to 'start' doing something, including shutting down..

Its not a good idea to put the shutdown button on the desktop as it can be clicked by accident.
    So it has to go somewhere else, behind the start button is as good a place as any.

MS used to care about ease of access.

4. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    yeah a widget could replace the "start" button :pc1:

but there is plenty more stuff in W8 that doesn't fit PC universe...

5. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX1080 Ti
    When the dismal sales start, and critics are ripping Windows 8 apart, maybe they will rethink

As it stands, i expect it to be a huge flop.

6. Seref

Seref Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 GHz Vapor-X
    But the thing is that there is a start menu in Win8, it's just not a little rectangular box on the lower left hand corner. You click that tile and it opens an expanded, fullscreen version of a start menu that can do all the same stuff.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    No need to press any key....just start typing.

Everything in Win8 is easy to access....

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    People want it to be a failure more than actually believing it will be.

As much as i'm not keen on Windows8, i'm less keen on peoples attitude towards it, as its all so predictable.
    If its a flop they will say "i told you so", if its a massive success then people will say more proof of mindless masses taking what they are given.

I don't believe for a second anyone who hates it will come out and say they were wrong if W8 does well.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    You're right...

10. Zen0

Zen0 Master Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    I never actually realised this before, but I actually agree with Microsoft. I rarely use start menu. I mean, I use it everyday, but I mainly only use it for accessing programs I have pinned to the start menu (better than desktop shortcuts) and for quick access to Library folders (pics, vids, docs, etc) which I'm sure I can get used to not having. Besides, this feature still exists but has simply been expanded to be the entire Metro UI.

I also use it for the search feature which is still available in Win 8 so it's not really a problem.

Then there's also the control panel, but I have that pinned to the taskbar so I use that most of the time. I also have commomly used features of the control panel pinned to the taskbar (such as Programs & Features, Device Manager) so that I can just right click on the control panel icon in the taskbar and select and instantly launch Programs & Features, for example. Very handy.

And I don't think I've ever used "All Programs" list in start menu in Windows 7. I don't think anyone uses it anymore...

So basically, I do use the Start menu everyday (I'm sure everyone does), but it's purpose since the Windows XP days has evolved. It's current use and function can therefore easily be replaced with a different feature and removing it completely is no longer such a problem.

Exactly! I couldn't have said it better myself.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    It does bring up the search.

12. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Wait wait wait, how do they actually KNOW that their users are using the start button less and less and pin stuff instead?

Either they do some very big broad surveys to their customers or we kinda have some privacy issues right there...

(or, of course, they're just BSing their way through customer rage).

I use more the Start button than ever now that i notice it. It's always Start>Computer, Start>User, Start>Control Panel, etc.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  13. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    The saddest part of all this is that every single one of you pretends to be computer literate. You're going to tell all your friends how crap Windows 8 is, how bad metro, oh its so bad so bad, and you clearly have shown you don't know **** about it. You guys don't even have the faintest clue how it works or why the changes were made.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Ummm...there's no privacy issue involved. The "Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program" is completely voluntary. Helps if you actually read.....

15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    @naked, If we are computer illiterate, you are an user interface genius.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    It's pretty obvious that's hes just frustrated with the fact that the vast majority of the people here have no clue what they are talking about. I mean between the people asking about how Microsoft knows what the customer does, and the people claiming that they need the functionality that wasn't removed, it's quite hilarious.

And he's right - these people will go and influence opinions of others with false information.

People should probably try the product before complaining about it. Or at least try to understand what is changing.

17. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    @IPlayNaked:

Now that thing you were saying about "being barely taken seriously around here as it is."

I wonder why?

18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Right, even after trying the Release Preview if we don't like a terrible design we don't get it.

19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Don't wonder too much, it will all be explained in a Microsoft blog.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    No I agree that it's a terrible design, I've wrote about my hatred for the design before. But when multiple people complain about missing functionality, that isn't missing, their opinions become less valuable. People read "start button gone" and assumed a bunch of functionality is missing. They clearly never tried the preview, because all the functionality they assumed was missing is still there.