Microsoft Simultaneously Releases Office 2021 and Windows 11

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    waiting for grey market license keys :D

Kaarme likes this.
  3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    They really really really want me to get 365, but I'll tell you right now that it is a waste of money.

A subscription fee??? For office??? No thank you.

The only way they will get that money from me is if they lock out functionality, which is probably what they are going to do: Make Excel free of charge, but lock out the ability to email it/fax it/print it/export it/covert it to a CSV etc etc etc.

Office 2019 is SOLID people, truly the best version of Office I've worked with; and this 365 BS with Windows 11 is gonna be yet another attempt to pi55 me off.

Maddness and Kaarme like this.
  4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Office prices have risen quite steeply over the years. Back when I bought a key for Office 2010, it was around 80 or 90 euros. This was a proper store-bought MS key technically for pre-installed Office, but you could just download the Office setup from MS and use the key for it. However, before that I'd also bought Office 2010 for my parents, and it was a retail package for 3 PCs. So, you could install Office on three separate PCs. It was technically meant for the same household. It was around 170 euros. Right now Office 2019 from MS for a single PC costs something like 147 euros. I reckon this price increase is all due to MS really loving to market the Office 365, which costs 69 euros a year for a single PC. So, in two years you are already at the Office 2019 level. I guess if you are an insect only living for a couple of years, it's a good deal. Office 365 Family for 6 users, for 99 euros a year, would be a bit cheaper for a time if you have the need for full six installations.

Yeah, I have been for some time considering trying one of the Guru3D key ads for Office 2019. MS inflation is a bit much for me. I'm not too familiar with the competing office softwares out there. Maybe they could also work. Maybe I'll now do what Krizby already said.

Krizby likes this.

5. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    Actually I consider 365 to be pretty good value for money. For £7.99 me, a couple of friends and my family all get a genuine copy of all office apps plus 1TB of cloud storage. A single user subscription to Dropbox alone costs £7.99 (minimum) in the UK.

I'm not saying it's right for everyone. If you just need a copy of Word/Excel don't get it. But if you use the cloud storage as well it's pretty decent.

6. Lebon30

Lebon30 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070Ti 8GB
    A separate dark mode? I dunno but I was able to turn on a dark mode in Word 2019.........?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  7. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    One copy of Office for Business cost as 2/3 of median income. Unbelievable greed. WPS is much cheaper and free for home. OnlyOffice Desktop Editors are free for everyone.

8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I have been on 365 for about 5 years now and it's been pretty useful with the OneDrive extra storage. I wonder if my Office will automatically change to the new version when it hits, or do I need to have Windows 11 installed for it to work.

9. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I use the cloud version at work and it is very nice. However, the average person doesn't need Office let alone a subscription. Microsoft has a dilemma here as they try to increase revenue they also push people to the free cloud solutions which are less capable but are sufficient.

10. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    A while back, I bought a few copies of Office 2010 (single PC) off a key site for about $4 each. It still does all that I want and a lot more. As far as I know, it's key is supposedly tied to the motherboard of the PC(s) I install them to.

Just out of curiosity, is there anything revolutionary that I'm missing out on by not having the latest or more recent versions of Office? I don't use it all that often. Even (free) OpenOffice is adequate for most tasks that I throw at it. If I want MS Office on a newer PC, I'm probably going to keep buying that old 2010 version or some other outdated, but cheap version (if I can).

11. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    Keep in mind that the 365 Home or Family (the one they sell to regular people) it's for non-commercial/professional usage.
    So I need to ditch it and get 365 Business (which is more expensive) or some old 2019 professional license (cheaper if you get some offer).

Some sites sell a 2019 version that links to your MS account. I might go with that in the future.

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Like most people I'm not willing to put up with subscription BS so I switched to Libre Office as soon as word that MS might switch to a license model was leaked, and I've never looked back.

It's free, it's always been free, will be supported until the end of time, and does everything I need it to do.

Venix and CrazY_Milojko like this.
  13. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Yep, LibreOffice is perfectly fine for my needs too. I was using MS office up to 2007 version, then switched to OpenOffice and using that one for almost a decade and past few years LibreOffice fits my neds perfectly, really don't know what could happen to change my mind.

alanm, HandR and Venix like this.
  14. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I think that if libreoffice is not for you, you should pay the microsoft cost.
    I think libreoffice is perfectly fine and the few times the google spreadsheet is too small for what i need, i use libreoffice

Venix likes this.
  15. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I use Office 2019 Professional Plus (so, it includes outlook, access ((essential)), publisher and when I want to torture myself, Powerpoint.)

16. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    If you need Office for business, you can deduct it from taxes as an investment, can't you?

If an AAA game with a crew as big as a real Hollywood movie costs 60, maybe 70 euros, it does seem kind of strange MS Office (for private consumers) needs to cost 150 euros per PC. Or the subscription service, which will cost more over the years. MS must have calculated the price carefully, deciding that loyal, old customers can be milked freely, while all the rest will choose a free alternative anyway, no matter how cheap the MS Office was, as long as it's not totally free. In other words, if MS charged 70 euros for the Office (permanent license), they still wouldn't sell more copies, but would obviously earn less profit. Thus they charge an arm and a leg instead, counting on old Office users not leaving the system willingly because they are used to it.

17. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Open office and libre office after oracle got the open office for me .... I really can not find a reason why would i want to pay for ms office :p .

CrazY_Milojko likes this.
  18. loracle

loracle Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    You forget to say thats for rich people only

19. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    dark mode exclusive to 2021 LTSC? wut?

I've had dark mode on office 2019 for like a year now, are they hoping people stay there? office 2019 is one of the finest pieces of software I've ever touched, hard to see how they improve on it without breaking something

20. van_dammesque

van_dammesque Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac 3070
    In dark mode everything is black including the wysiwyg sheet of paper, where as in 2019 the ribbon and background are dark but not the sheet of paper.

2021 is a better product than 2019, in more subtle ways though.