1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft removes safe removal of USB drives as the default option

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    The article is from this month so was this changed in a CU or was 1809 shipped with this change?

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    So... a performance boost? That's why this was "necessary"? Never heard of that.

4. Glottiz

Glottiz Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 1080Ti
    Why are you so proud of your ignorance? Disk write caching is very important and necessary thing to have, especially if you have USB3 drive which is intended for speed like fast HDD or SSD.

5. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    This looks better!

Aura89 likes this.
  6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    Wrong mate. Difference is in caching. Disabling caching means that data are written directly to drive instead to cache (system memory) and then to drive at available speed.
    Time to get data to drive will not change at all. Only thing which will suffer is simultaneous reading and writing, or doing multiple writes at same time. (Basically messing around which people don't do in general... unless they are as you wrote "ignorant" of fact that USB flash drives have pretty bad random access even if they are USB3+.)

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    And where did I act "proudly" or "ignorant" by stating I have never heard of it before? But yeah... have a nice day as well.

8. Glottiz

Glottiz Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 1080Ti
    Write cache disabled ~30MB/s speed
    Write cache enabled ~120MB/s speed (max for 5400 RPM USB3 HDD)

9. E^vol

E^vol Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 670 OC
    LOL, I've never "safely Removed" any USB devices.
    I've always just unplugged and go.

Killian38, fantaskarsef and Undying like this.
  10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Same here, never used it anyway.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I bet "Safe removal" is default option for Win10 (and Win8) since the beginning

Win10 1803 here:
    [​IMG]

Robbo9999 and fantaskarsef like this.
  12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    PICNIC

13. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    I thought this was the default option for usb sticks tbh. I do use the safe remove anyway.

Tested multiple scenarios with a DT HyperX 128GB and saw virtually no difference testing with a 3.6GB multiple small/big files rar and a 3GB mp4 video. Copy was from 8TB Seagate.

Only difference was that I manually selected "Better performance" for the first copy when I first plugged it in and speed was about ~110-115MB) but afterwards it was 215-220MB for both options.

Edit: I also extracted the rar to an SSD and it was ~7.2GB(3.2K files) and tested with "Better performance". Copy time was 1:55mins the first copy and 1:53mins the second.

I then selected "Safe removal" in Policies and rebooted and tested again. 1:50mins first copy and 1:54mins second copy.

Edit 2: Just checked. It was the default option(safe removal). Using Win10 RS4 17134(1804).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I don't understand.... how exactly is it supposed to be safe to remove the drive if some of the data is cached and hasn't been written to the drive yet?

Anyway, if there's one thing about Windows I like more than most other OSes, it's that it handles unplugging USB drives much more elegantly. There's no second-guessing if it's actually done writing to the drive or not; once your transfer reaches 100% or the drive stops blinking, you know it's done. I never used the "safely remove" feature in Windows because I never needed to. In most other OSes though, I don't dare risk it.

Now... if only MS could figure out how to bring NTFS to modern times and stop horrendously fragmenting files that it writes to the drives, that'd be great.

15. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Eh? I thought safe removal was the default option before? Was I seeing things this whole time? Oo

It may have only written incomplete data to the drive so data corruption can occur. Not sure on the exact details but it apparently works. I became aware of this option when I was encountering frequent blackouts at home - my BOINC tasks would get corrupted every time there was a blackout and I wanted to find a way to prevent it. I found some info that suggested turning off write caching, and it did indeed prevent data corruption. I later got a UPS but I still disable write caching on my BOINC drive, just in case.

16. Venix

Venix Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    I always just pull my own usb drives with out safety remove . But! When i am handling usb drives that are not my own and especially from less tech savy people i always do safety remove when they are present ...i just don't want em to blame me if their precious flash drive kicks the bucket or having to explain em as far the there is no activity you are fine to pull.

17. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    How generous from a BigBadBill's gang! Every now and then, they invent some kind of a luke-warm water, and even let us wash our as*es with it! So, what'll be next? Allowing us to opt out of automatic/forced updating their precious spyware...errrr...OS, that is?

18. Arbie

Arbie Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Why are you so needlessly rude? Do you pay extra to post here, so it's OK? Or what?

19. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac AMP! 1060 6Gb
    Ummmm. you can totally remove USB drives without clicking on safe removal. Been doing this for many many years. Not much of note here

20. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    I been using the tray icon for as long as i can remember.

Not going to change that.