1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft promises stronger focus on PC gaming

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 13, 2014.

1. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    It's just nonsense marketing crap, see post two for example.

2. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GT 840M
    Razer mouse works fine for me.

3. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    I think microsoft has done a great job with gaming on the pc. The only reason I even use MS OS's is because of games. For every other computer related task I use Linux.

4. kill007

kill007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti Lightning 1459
    Thanks for that, i did a quick check and /facepalm....dam MS...

Yes, i can confirm this as well. its still 125/200hz~ even if you use the razer software.

Follow the instructions on the link, and it will work.

5. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GT 840M
    Well I tried to install it but it doesn't let me. So I guess it has been patched.

6. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080/intel4400
    What bothers me about the GFWL is that i wont be able to play games like RE5 and Dawn of War 2 for example. I still have yet to beat Dawn of War 2 (yeah dont ask). So what happens then. I have to use a go damn crack because Microsoft decided they will stop the service? what a bunch of crap.

7. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    Yeah, GFWL is amazing. Wait no, it's horse ****.

8. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 STRIX OC
    One quick question Just to make sure i understood the procedure right..the instructions on the link says to Follow the KB 2908279 Instructions, install the hotfix, and then add c:\windows\explorer.exe to your registry in Step #4..
    So i need to install the Windows8.1-KB2908279-v2-x64, restart if prompted,
    then in Step #4 on the Microsoft page it states to Create a new registry entry for the game. To do this, right-click Layers, click New, click String Value, type the full path of the game’s executable file in the box, and then press Enter.
    So where it says to type the full path of the game’s executable file in the box,
    we enter c:\windows\explorer.exe?
    After that do we continue step #5 to step#8 Run the following command at an elevated command prompt:
    Rundll32 apphelp.dll,ShimFlushCache
    so this command only needs to be run once?

So is what i stated above correct?

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Single player isn't affected. Coop is up in the air, although I believe Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising allows coop over steam with both the chaos rising campaign and the original.

10. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    the way i see it.. microsoft marketing stunt to push gamers to switch to Windows8.

Focus on PC gaming has never been low, it's the (often rightous but sometimes unfair) criticism of pc gamers to decent ported titles that gave the console fans and media a false impression that pc gaming was declining along with focus on pc titles, it never was and never will.

imho the keyword shouldn't be exclusiveness, the keyword should be "quality".

i don't recall titles like "GTA Vice City" being a fail or anything, it wasn't a pc exclusive title, the only difference was mouse and higher res support, the title became one of the greatest games of all times on any platform.

it's not the exclusiveness of a game that causes a game to sell, it's the quality of the title whether exclusive or cross-platform that's gonna dictate it's success.

console games per se aren't bad, the problem lies with most developers nowdays who simply want minimum effort - maximum gain, that's why the word "consolized" or "console port" appeared.

improved graphics? they don't even fix the tutorial part of a ported FPS game .. press "O" on your GAMEPAD to shoot :D oh really? 99% of pc gamers play fps games with a gamepad?

imagine if it was the contrary, a Playstation gamer firing up his game only to be greeted with.. "Press The * Key On Your Keyboard To Throw a Grenade.." lol

even when they fix the gamepad part in the tutorial you get genius stuff like this: "Turn to the left by pressing the left arrow key" ..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I had read on MDL that Update 1 fixed the polling rates but I haven't tried it on a live system to confirm it. RTM build should be out next month, maybe we can try it out and hope for the best.

No I don't think they are going to be pushing for 8 aggressively now. Windows 9 is rumoured to go as far as allowing Android apps, cohesive traditional and touch UI's, and the *full* Windows 7 experience.

12. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    To be honest I used to care and it used to frustrate the hell out of me.

But i'm perfectly fine with Steam. While I don't think it is perfect it is more than good enough for me. I'm really excited about the new Steam controller. The 360 controller does the job but it's not really usable for games like Might and Magic Heroes.

While I tought Big Picture was dumb at first I've found myself using it more and more these days. I connected my PC to my big TV and when I play a game with a controller (like Rogue Legacy, Trine 2 or Valdis Story) then I play it on my TV and Big Picture is nice to control Steam remotely with a controller.

I really wish Mantle will be supported by big companies (and NVidia) to put pressure on Microsoft. To me the thing holding back PC gaming is the "faith" big companies have in Microsoft. They are all eating in Microsoft's hands. Like if Microsoft would possess the truth about everything. The worst offender is probably Bethesda with its console UI and crappy console ports. Microsoft doesn't have to improve cause companies put them in a position where they don't have to. It is slowly changing with Steam but not quickly enough. I'm still astonished by the number of games which supported GFWL. It was not even remotely good ...

I'm not holding my breath but can't blame a man for hoping ...

13. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 STRIX OC
    Microsoft has let us PC gamers so many times down with fake promises since 2005,
    according to the source compilation Dictator93 posted.(thanks a lot for that).
    So many years have past that i had lost track of everything that Microsoft has stated since.
    From what i remember, the whole B--l s--t (excuse my language) started with Microsoft's overrated statements of the all new DX10.
    They kept talking of all the new graphical enhancements and performance improvements it would come along with allowing life like games possible.
    Who knows how much $$$ Microsoft invested in paying off hundreds of sites and magazines (which i was reading at the time),
    to have literally everyone writing articles of how DX10 will bring gaming graphics to a whole new level of realism.
    DX10 turned out to be nothing but a marketing gimmick to promote their new OS Windows Vista at the time.
    M$ has fooled with us so many times that we can't trust any statement they make anymore,unless we see more action than talk.
    Their monopoly with Windows PC gaming is really hurting the scene and i wish to see the day developers ditch DX in favor of another OS or Api.
    The only thing that can save M$ would be if they someway could rewrite,their current existing DX11.xx code and optimize the way it communicates with GPU's.
    (to make it more efficient as consoles or similar to what AMD's is doing with mantle).
    Or even better releasing a gaming only Windows OS with only the bare minimum that games require to run.
    If they can pull off the above to the point where current and upcoming games can benefit with free performance increases from the optimized dx code.
    All i can say is M$ First make a move for us to see your stronger focus on PC gaming.
    Then make promises.