1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft pauses 1809 due to missing user files...

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by HeavyHemi, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
    Good thing I always keep my important stuff on a separate drive than the system SSD (in addition to backing it up). That said, it's unacceptable that they pushed out an update with so many severe issues as this one.

2. David3k

David3k Active Member

GPU:
    Graphics Processing Unit
    This does goes to show that fully automated system updates isn't really the best idea.
    Hell, Windows becoming oversimplified and the slow removal of user control on various subsystems for that very purpose is itself a really bad idea. Sure there is a lower barrier to entry, but at the cost of users becoming less capable of managing their own systems.
    But the most damaging effect over the long-term is that, over time, people also start to become less knowledgeable about various system and computer functions and paradigms.

Also, if Microsoft hadn't gimped File History, this would've been less devastating for those affected, since they would've been able to recover missing files quite easily without the need for external backup drives for said feature. (starting Windows 8, you need an assigned backup location to activate the feature for user files, whereas Windows 7 just turned it on for all files)

ADDENDUM EDIT: File History is essentially the Windows+NTFS System Restore feature, that uses the volume shadow copy service, extended to all files on the drive.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    HandR and carnivore like this.
  3. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    [​IMG]

Mmmm, love the smell of fresh meme...

yasamoka, sykozis, Jake Ze$ta and 3 others like this.
  4. DJ B.

DJ B. New Member

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 2080 8GB
    So I guess I wasn't going crazy after all. All the portable programs and installers I use on my system, I keep in a folder, which is automatically backed up to another drive every day. For some strange reason certain programs and files were being deleted, and I had no clue until I saw the headline. Then it all made perfect sense! This build even managed to mess up a system restore and a reset attempt. With that said, I downloaded the 1803 build, put it on a USB and reinstalled Windows 10. After reinstalling everything and moving my files back, I blocked Windows Update from running any further.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    One of the first things I do after an upgrade is run disk cleanup and remove windows.old, something told me to leave it be this time around... oh right yea, my confidence in MS :D

sykozis, carnivore and -Tj- like this.
  6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    It has nothing todo with One Drive.

7. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    If the secretary can update the OS in a company IT management is either lacking or bad.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Me too :D

Luckily it didn't delete anything, although I didn't have anything serious in my DL folder, but still.

Extraordinary likes this.
  9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Same here but I'm keeping it for now lol

-Tj- likes this.
  10. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT73VRE TITAN
    I think someone needs to get fired for this.

carnivore likes this.

11. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    G1 GTX 980 OC
    I did the WU and everything went smooth like always! No missing files here whatsoever! :)

12. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1060 6G Armor
    Fired a guy today. You're welcome!

13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah I think this maybe the worst update since the release of Windows 10. The other updates had issues such as booting but to me I'd rather have booting issues than loose any of my data.

14. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Maha Guru

GPU:
    - Windows Q&A team is a joke.
    - No unit testing at all on UI
    - GUI is in a perpetual Harlequin status
    - They broke jumpl list settings
    - They broke powerhshell history
    - They continue to reset user defined policies and settings, which is particularly bad for sysadmins.
    - Default UWP application are mostly still a joke.
    - PC Settings is the worst example how to create a XML based GUI
    - They still do not understand that a dark theme is not a high contrast theme.
    - Since Nadella is CEO the entire Microsoft documentation (ex MSDN and ex technet) is a mess, with tons of broken links and documentation spread around different portals.

HandR, carnivore and KissSh0t like this.
  15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    So, you installed 1809, and now there's a bug that happens sometimes, but not all the time, AT installation, and you're trying to say that leaving windows.old somehow...helps you? If you already installed it, then the issue being presented would have already happened, and reverting back, will not fix it, since the files will be gone. So how does leaving windows.old help you? How does your comment make logic sense to the topic at hand?

It seems like you came in here just to make a snarky remark and not actually pay attention to what is being said. If the issue being presented here had anything to do with being able to revert back to previous windows version to fix it, your comment would make sense, but it doesn't.

16. BarryB

BarryB Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    And M$ still wonder why people refuse to abandon LTSB!

17. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G970/3.5G MSI
    They were already scanning whole HDD for all *.exe files (because compatibility bla,bla checking), now they just delete files they dont like, its spyware.. Unfortunatetly because of DX12 only games there is not alternative, unless someone will port DX12 over Vulkan for Windows 7.

18. Jake Ze$ta

Jake Ze$ta New Member

GPU:
    1080 ti XOC Custom
    Not to mention that they beta test alpha builds on us telling us it's certified. I don't remember Windows 7 going through this even with driver problems at first. [​IMG]

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    There was a time when they cared about their reputation.
    Sad days.

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    They haven't cared about pretending to be professional since Bill Gates was in charge.

David3k and sykozis like this.