Microsoft Now Is Proactively Informing Windows 10 users to update to Windows 11

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    fantaskarsef and mbk1969 like this.
  2. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Having tried out Win11 on my laptop, I can't find any reason NOT to go Win11 for my main rig back home. I'll 'upgrade' to Win11 when I get back, and install my RX 7900 XTX in that rig. Even my soon to be built 2nd gaming rig will have Win11 installed right off the bat.

3. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    Is it still hot garbage like every other build? win 7 good, win 8 bad, win 10 good, win 11 bad? Do they even allow other browser's besides Edge? Since now they are hijacking my win 10 desktop with shortcuts for that subpar trash as well.

Ormy likes this.
  4. germz1986

germz1986 Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070
    Hot garbage no, no slower or faster than 10. I have done the same tweaks, turning off tracking on 11 as I do in 10. I have just as easily installed chrome & firefox on 11 as I did on 7. My only issue with 11 is the taskbar. It's a downgrade compared to 10's. Unable to move it is my main gripe. I have installed a replacement taskbar, with better working search than either 10 or 11's.

Odarnok and pegasus1 like this.

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Maybe I should finally get around to buying that TPM addon chip for my mobo. It's hard to trust Ryzen 3000's integrated TPM after the problems people were writing about for such a long time, clearly indicating AMD either simply can't solve it or it's extremely difficult, meaning it might not be 100% solved ever.

6. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    My Asus Tuff x570 has a BIOS setting to instead of the TPM chip. Not that safe then?

Think about people with old computers and have no idea how to fix the TPM issue.

They will get constant messages to upgrade to Windows 11, they click ok, starts the process then after 10 minutes states their pc isn't Windows 11 complient.

Same person turns on their pc the next day, and a message to upgrade to Windows 11, they click ok,.........

Software Dev Expert likes this.
  7. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    If your motherboard has the option to update the BIOS to use AMD AGESA V2 1.2.0.7 then it should be fine. This is where AMD worked all the kinks out which it took them three attempts. I'm running this with a Ryzen 5800x and its fine no stuttering etc.

Kaarme likes this.
  8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Think i'm gonna try 11 today, first make a backup of my current install ofcourse.

9. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    It's a lot better now than when it first released with bugs galore.

10. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I don't have my TPM enabled here, so don't get any nag screens, as don't meet the 11 requirements :p

11. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    I upgraded from Windows 10 to 11 on the Asus Tuff x570 3800x and have had no issues so far. I did consolidate everything and pulled off a lot of junk before updating.

A new install of Windows 11 on an MSI Tomahawk x570s and 5800x3d and it was a fight trying to get Firewall permissions with games squared away regardless of game launcher. Some games I even have to set to the .exe file to Windows 8 Compatability mode to run such as Hell Let Loose through Steam. Downloaded several more games last night and will see how they behave.

Otherwise I do like 11.

Kaarme likes this.
  12. Ormy

Ormy Active Member

GPU:
    3080Ti 12GB
    No nag screen for me, I turned that crap off the moment I installed Win10 along with cortana, edge, MS store, all telemetry, xbox game bar, etc etc. The only reason I moved on from Win7 was because I needed DirectX12 to play modern games. I will not be upgrading until necessary to play latest games, so FU microsoft.

13. ruiner13

ruiner13 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080
    Would be great if the upgrade would work on my AMD machine, but it results in a blue screen and rollback every time I try because I have an AMD RAID volume. Their suggestion to "unplug the RAID" so I can upgrade is not something I'm gonna do so I can upgrade to a worse performing OS.

Ormy and Gomez Addams like this.
  14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Done doing my backups, and have Rufus running with the local account option :)

15. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    ...maybe to cut costs IN TERMS OF "BLOWING THE "FUSE" FOR Windows 10 techS ()

16. liesenberg

liesenberg Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
    I have been using W11 since its first iteration on my gaming rig, first 6 months it was worse than 10, especially in the interface, slugginess and limitations that made regret a little bit, but when things have been iron out, it is good as 10, in my work i still miss the option to use the task bar on the side of the screen, have been using the taskbar on the right side since windows XP days.

So for an entertainment and media/gaming PC, W11 its very good. But for work, for me at least its not prime time, W10 was better... Tabs on file explorer was a nice addition, i still forget to use it sometimes since after 25 years using windows i have become used to alt tab through folders.

i still don't like the new left click menu, it would be nice to have a permanent invert option to show de old one first.

All in all despite interface changes, I really cant complain about W11 performance its the same as W10 these days.

Best Regards,
    Will.

Keitosha and GarrettL like this.
  17. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    After googling the TPM module, I learned that buying it is gambling: if you get one with an old firmware version, it has a critical security flaw, yet Asus doesn't offer any updates or help. So, seems like buying a discrete TPM chip has risks of its own.

That's good to hear, seeing how I have Asus Tuf x570 and 3700x. If yours work, maybe mine will work as well.

JamesSneed, Keitosha and GarrettL like this.
  18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Windows11 came a long way, and it's all good now. 22H2 did the trick, initial release was really bad and I didn't upgrade right away.

I have it on left side

upload_2023-2-3_18-35-17.png

easy fix
    https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher/releases

lol'd at this response why it's not possible,

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-explains-why-you-cant-move-windows-11-taskbar

I think they just delusional, apps need to understand where you move start menu? What apps? All looks the same as it was in Windows10 for me, store apps open centered or in the position I left them.

19. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Not entirely true: If you have windows 10 pro you can use group policy to disable updates, system messages & notifications, etc. On home edition it's true that you can't escape these annoying messages because you can't use group policy.

I have two desktop PC's at home with windows 10 pro and windows update, drivers updates, system notifications disabled through group policy and never received these messages. I also have a laptop that came preinstalled with windows 10 home and because MS removed gpedit from this edition I can't do nothing about it and I received the messages in full glory....

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    Loobyluggs likes this.
  20. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    It worked and I've had no issues so far.

Took aout 30 minutes in total to download, install and rebooted into Windows 11. Surprisingly, it was painless.