Microsoft Now Banning Players Over COD:MW2 Glitch, Sony Refuses to

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Stukov, Dec 5, 2009.

1. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    Usually with code (dll) injection and/or hooks when it comes to gaming cheats.

Online games are per definition not fair, there is always someone with better items than yours, or has more skills than you, or more experience, or has better strategy.

In certain games, glitches aren't considered cheating at all, in fact in some games there are considered skills if you can use them well. Such as circle and strafe jumping mechanism in Quake engines, or Kara throw in SF3. And it's not an unfair advantage since everyone has access to them, without needing to run any 3rd party software.
    You so remind me of some Scottish lads i used to play WolfET with a few years ago. They were dead convinced i (and whole bunch of other players) am a 'cheater' because i uses glitches (bunnyhopping, strafejump) to move around quicker than they could. It wasn't until they learned how to do it themselves they stopped calling people who could jump a 'cheater'.

Making false accusations and personal attacks as an argument now? :wanker:

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I never skipped over the fact you believe its not an unfair advantage, i said if this glitch is fair as you say, then all cheats and hacks are too, since the majority are available to everyone, its not like you need to have elite coding skills to implement wall hacks or aim bots.
    Bug, or cheat, the end result is the same.

If MS and IW say its unfair, then its unfair, end of story.

In certain games maybe, but not this game since IW said it is cheating, its their game remember.
    I'm nothing like those "Scottish lads" with any online game, i play for fun, i'm not overly competitive, and i never called cheater on this, IW did.

I said if thats how he played FPS's, i never said he actually did since i have never gamed with him.

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    using glitches/ bunnyhopping / strafejumping / going under the map / reaching places you normally cant reach is Lame!
    i know it takes skill to do certain things, but the games were never ment to be played this way.
    most of all its not allowed on most servers.

4. itsb1again

itsb1again Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 285 @ 702
    I'm glad that they're being banned. The other night there were two guys on the opposite team with clan tags called [b00m] and all they did was just that. Ran around like retards suicide bombing people. It made me so mad that I turned my game off.

I mean seriously. I turn my game on and play for an hour or so and then something like this happens? Completely ruins the gaming experience...

I wish Sony would do the same. Too bad they wont =(

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I'm also glad. Then the people who aren't ranked high enough to get these weapons yet have the copycat death perk loaded so eventually, everyone in the game has this damn setup.

6. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    Saph 4890@1033\1200@1.45V
    wow what a read.... I dont even play the game... or any in the series lol Yet I was still drawninto this thread and read it all... it was facinating.

I have only one thing to ask\comment on:

A few pages back there was discussion as to if its the programmers fault and if it was due to laziness or poor QA etc.... I'd like to toss my 2 cents in that bucket if I may :) I even think someone may have touched on this:

Shouldnt consoles be virtually bug free? I mean minor, occasional or random glitches may pop up like a texture not loadin right once but not again etc. But seriously... all consoles "are created equal" arent they? sure yer PS3 or XBOX may be a slim variant or have a bigger \ smaller HDD but in the end its still and XBOX or PS3 and as such is the same at its heart...where all the programming has to go thru. Since they are all the same essentially one would think that bugs and glitches would be easier to spot -i think someone touched on this- and correct as they would have a "global" effect for example: you get to one spot in a map in game X and crash the game and its the same for anyone that has that game on that platform.

Coding for the PC on the otherhand is VASTLY HUGELY different. Look at ppls sigs here... you'd be hard pressed to find 2-3 non oem comps -are there any here?!?! :3eyes: lol- that are the same carbon copy in everyway hardware wise. Trying to account for every possible hardware config is a daunting task....then you add on the sofware layer and get totally mired.... ppl run diff os's, diff servive packs some are 32 bit...others are 64... some like Mac, others Linux and others Windows. With all the variables I CAN see why glitches and bugs can creep thru in the PC gaming world you cant test EVERY config. Time, money, resource wise its the closest thing to impossible you can purpose to a software company lol

Knowing that consoles are all the same at heart and thus have a zillion less variables to account for and correct I can see why some ppl would get a lil uppity about how such things could get thru to the end user. However.... on the other side of the coin... I'm sure they did quite a bit of QA and testing... just not with anyone that was a button basher or a glitcher or whatever... In that its a variable and a VERY big one that was missed.... I guess comp code needs to be tuned to system specs while console code has to be tweaked to correct the human element? lol just a lil joke at the end there... seems to me someone mentioned the bug cant be done on the PC? Correct me if I'm wrong on that one :)

Zyro

7. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Unless those cheats are built into the game it's just not the same no matter what you think.

8. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    It doesn't matter what you think either. IW and MS are running the show. What they say goes. If you don't like it then don't use their system.

9. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    No it isn't, someone cheating is doing something that only he / she can do they have had to go outwith the game to gain their advantage. A glitch is there for anyone who owns the game to perform. I am all for banning glitchers and cheaters from the server, but since that option was removed by IW I strongly disagree with the massive over reaction of MS banning you from the entire Live network for 24 hours.

I didn't say MW2 had any level of dedicated server support I did specifically state that it had a total lack of it and the 'servers' I was referring to where those provided by just about every other game developer on the planet for just about every other game for the last decade.

Yeah never seen ANYONE banned by Punkbuster for using a glitch, probably because anti cheat systems look for modifications of the code in memory which glitches DO NOT DO, glitches don't do anything that an anti cheat system would see as being wrong because it uses the standard game code to achieve the result, hence the point, something freely available to everyone who owns the game.

Maybe IW should just patch the game or here's an idea maybe they should police their own servers instead of letting MS do it for them.

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    IW will eventually patch it, but they obviously have asked MS to sort it for them until then, and since they have just made MS a fair amount of cash, they are probably doing what they are told.

What servers do you speak of that IW have to police?

11. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    None, which points to the problem that IW created. No way for admins to set their own rules, kick, or ban people who do this from their servers, then they programmed the bug.

A double wammy set on the shoulders of IW.

12. DeMS

DeMS Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 270X HAWX 2GB
    The end result is usually the same : The 'legal' player's quality of gaming gets lowered to flat bottom. At least with this very glitch. Other glitches are worlds apart and actually change nothing in the form of gameplay (as the silencer glitch on CS 1.6, where you can put it on and off in less than a sec by pressing the silencer button and just switching weapons)

You mean IWard servers, old WON servers, battle.net and so on or just dedicated servers as they are in like 99% of games (CSS, CoD4 and such)?

You probably won't, because almost all of the games that PB runs in already have another anti-cheat, anti-glitch code called Pure Server, that blocks most glitch abuses aswell as file modifications and such.

I don't know how they are meant to police P2P connections and how feasible and do-able is that, or if they are already doing it, but I guess the fastest way of gaining control versus hackers and glitchers is to give the responsability back to the community, which means far more people, usually better support and cheaters/glitchers staying for less time.

13. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung
    i never got banned for using the drone bug in broodwar :) blizzard patched it and thats it.

14. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    I don't. Doesn't mean I can't have an opinion about it. My only point is that you can't change facts. A glitch is not like a cheat in any way.

15. N.O.U.G.N.

N.O.U.G.N. Master Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GTX 1080 8Gb
    just a game?... TRON: Legacy says, "Not any more"

internet warz are a about pop off over this LOL

16. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    I'm of the view if the glitch/exploit was an error of the code and people were using it then they were cheating and deserve what's coming to them. However if they werent made aware that doing this could result in a ban/suspension I think it's very harsh for MS/IW to ban people.

It's the old placing a pile of gold on a table and expecting people to not slip it in their pockets and doing a runner. If the temptation isnt there in the first place then people wont cheat. That is the companies fault not theirs.

Personally I wouldnt use an exploit in a game because I know it's a game and also I dont believe in unfair advantages....

So yes I think it teaches people a lesson but I could understand people arguing/complaining of a ban because of a games design fault.

Correct me if am wrong but this is the case no?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    IW is definitely going to patch it, but they can only do 2 patches before they have to start paying fees to Microsoft to issue updates. So they are probably going to try to get as much as they can into the patch before they do it.

18. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    With PC and dedicated servers it's much easier.
    You just join a server, see rules and risk kick/ban if you don't follow them. If you like the server, you add it to favorites and that's all.

19. DeMS

DeMS Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 270X HAWX 2GB
    Yes, that has to be the equivalent on human evolution as to grow a nose close to the end of your back.

In any event, their decision, their game, their chance to do something useful with it and learn from mistakes.

20. sk8zophrenia

sk8zophrenia Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX1060