Microsoft Now Banning Players Over COD:MW2 Glitch, Sony Refuses to

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Stukov, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    A glitch means something wasn't programmed properly. It's allowing something to happen when it shouldn't.

2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    You can't really blame anyone for buggy software really. In all honesty, a lot of people just don't get it unless they are programmers themselves. The bigger the project, the harder it is to hunt down bugs. For me, it takes me several hours to debug about 1000+ lines of code and that's considered a small program. Projects like Modern Warfare 2 would have millions upon millions lines of code, it's nearly impossible to get rid of all bugs.

Thus, instead of saying whose fault it is, just be happy that the game doesn't have any showstopper bugs. These are the bugs that software developers will make sure that they are eliminated before a product ships.

deltatux

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    M$ just want any excuse to ban consoles to make more money. I hope they get sued some more. That PS3 collecting dust behind my monitor doesn't seem so crappy right about now.

Edit: A 24 hour ban? Who gives a **** then.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  4. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Exactly...Anyone saying otherwise just hasn't read the article.

5. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    I might say "blame" but that's not really what I mean. In no way should the programmers take responsibility for it. I actually am a programmer, so I understand. I've never made a program as big as a game before, but even small ones can have bugs. I've hunted mine out very well on my own, but it's just not the same scale. I'm merely saying it's the programmers job. They write the code therefore they are the ones that make the bugs, intentional or not. I'm sure an architect doesn't want his building to have any issues, but if it does it's on his shoulders even if it's not something he could predict. You certainly can't complain about the owner of the building since they likely didn't build it. Hopefully that explained my thoughts a bit better.

6. DeMS

DeMS Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 270X HAWX 2GB
    Reading the whole thing again, I think they're actually doing the right thing - showing costumers that they do _care_ about their online experience. I rather have all the glitchers temporally banned than destroying the gameplay (another matter would be if the glitch made the game funnier, then just leave it).

After all, is MW2 on consoles protected by any anti-cheat?

7. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    XBL: We regret to inform you ..
    While mashing buttons when you died you exploited a glitch in the game.. Ban Sucker!!!

8. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I buy windows because of DirectX. I wouldn't by anything else from Microwank EVER, END OF!

9. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Pretty much.

10. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    It's still IW fault for missing out this glitch which should have been discovered during QA game testing.
    This is obviously not a glitch that was discovered years after the game release, this is a glitch that was discovered a few weeks after release. Which meaning it's a fairly easy to find glitch that should have been discovered during QA testing, if it was done properly.

11. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    Is this a perma ban , I have been reading on other sites its just a 24 hour ban.
    If this is true, its teaching people hey, if you do wrong you wont get away with it, and I am happy about that.

Some people no matter what they do will feel cheating/steeling is ok, but its not.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Its a 24hour ban, a minor slap on the wrist for a minor infraction.

Im hoping gaming on all platfroms being to use such heavy handed measures in the future.

13. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Except it isn't, really in what way is it 'unfair' if EVERYONE who owns the game has the same level of access to the glitch as anyone else?

If that was the case why not ban players who use macros, that's cheating, it's not included in the game, why not ban players who us turbo pads, that's not part of the game. The glitch is there, anyone who owns the game has access to it.

14. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    wow this thread still going ? And i thought there is nothing to talk about.

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Everyone has access to it, but not everyone chose to use it.

Thats the difference, and why should the fair players have to put up with the losers who want to take advantage of these glitches.
    Why are people taking the side of the cheats??

Kapu, I think its still going because people are split between who is in the wrong.

16. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    What's the difference between this and Halo's flying sword maneuver. That is where you in the middle of the air and "burst" instantly to the target, the idea is that when you are near your target if you get the "red" target thingy you burst run toward the target. However, if you are in air, from jumping, falling, whatever, you still can do the burst. To me this is a cheat/exploit because it makes ZERO sense, as you can jump straight up in the air and basically fly.

According to Bungie the last time I played the game it was a "design" of the game, so I guess the Halo Gods gives players with swords special magnetic powers.

The only difference between one and the other is that one the developers consider it a "glitch/bug" and the other a "feature". Both are equally available to all players and both are cheap (to me the javelin one actually makes more sense as you are set to explode with the explosive such as a dead mans trigger then when explosive goes of it detonates the javelin), it is just the perception of the "developer".

17. "Born"_*Leader*

"Born"_*Leader* Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTS450 OC in SLI
    That is an interesting "glitch". I wonder what other glitches are found in games these days?

18. KCjoker

KCjoker Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    I don't think they should suspend anyone for it the first time but if they do it after like 3 or 4 times yes suspend them.

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I've heard its if you get 2 complaints, then they will ban you for 24 hours.

If you continue to do it, then its 2weeks.

20. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Well I don;t want to go all darwinian on you but that's how natural selection works, if you're to stupid to take advantage of something that is freely avaliable to everyone on the basis of some high horse moral high ground then really you have bugger all to complain about when other do decide to use it.

Because you've failed to spot the difference between what a cheat is and what a glitcher is. A cheat is someone who uses a means to circumvent the core program to gain an advantage from outwith the game, via a means that is freely NOT available to everyone else. A glitcher uses something that is there for anyone who has the game to use.

The reasons so many people are pissed is because in the past the gaming community itself was more than mature enough to set it's own ground rules on glitchers and cheats. If a game had a glitch a server admin could set rules saying don't use this or risk getting banned from the server. The players had the means to report and the admins had the means to rule themselves and the people that played their servers. IW however decided that the community would no longer be able to govern their own servers, make their own rules to play the game they paid for and have instead decided to hand the rights to govern what rules can and cannot be used in game to Microsoft.

On top of this Microsoft's response like like using a bazooka to swat a fly. In the pat you broke the rules you got a ban from THAT server, you learned you got back in a day later or went off to another server and maybe risked getting banned there and so on and so forth. To be banned not just from playing on any servers run for that game but the entire Live network for 24 hours for using a glitch, something the game designers where to stupid or to lazy to remove prior to launch is idiotically over the top and that's compounded by the fact that some users pay for the service and chances are MS won;t give them the cash back.

I ran a few BF2 servers a year or so back and my stance on glitchers and cheaters was harsh at that time. A multi tiered ban based on the leave of the offence but that was just a ban from the servers I admin'd so I had no issue with the punishment but MS is taking it far to far with this one. BY all means ban them if you must, but ban them from that server or maybe just that game but a ban from the whole Live network, get a god damn grip MS.

Kapu, I think its still going because people are split between who is in the wrong.