Microsoft Now Banning Players Over COD:MW2 Glitch, Sony Refuses to

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Stukov, Dec 5, 2009.

1. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Alright, I can't argue something I don't know, I don't know American laws so I'll assume that you're right.

However, that doesn't mean that Microsoft can't ban you as I'm saying that you agreed to follow the rules. It's not like it's not there...

deltatux

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Stukov, if MS weren't sure of the legality they wouldn't do this, so not sure why your arguing about it.

I don't see how anyone wouldn't agree with this, unless you happen to be a cheater yourself, i'd love to see something like this on Steam.

Cheat in 1 game, lose access to all your games for a set time, what exactly does VAC do?

3. Joey

Joey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    I got it on day of release as a rental from lovefilm. That means it has cost me £3.60 for the month for the cost of one rental slot and £2 for the month of xbox live. :D

4. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Well I could actually be wrong, just because I think I am right does not make it so. ;)

5. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I don't know if you have ever studied corporate culture, but saying MS wouldn't do it if it was illegal is so far from the truth. Executives often think they can get away with anything, I could bring up tons upon tons of cases for example. Everything from Du Pont to Ford. Unfortunately I can't get all the cases out of my books as they are in storage since I'm currently homeless.

If VAC bans you it is for that game only and VAC covers Valve games and networks. Meaning, they are banning you from THEIR game. That isn't going on here, MS is a third party who is banning players not for cheats/scripts but for a programming error in another parties game and they are banning from all XBL services, not just a game.

6. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yes, many do, but doesn't mean this is the case here.
    If they thought there would be legal repercussions they wouldn't be doing it, since what have they got to gain financially from doing this, and MS have had their fare share of legal troubles in the past.

I still think this is a good thing, cheating is no good for anyone, and while this is a programming error, people weren't doing it by accident.
    We need harsher deterents, im sure all of those banned people will think twice next time.

7. Joey

Joey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    I've just played a game with a dickless javelin glitcher and it completely ruined the game. It was on skidrow so anyone who could the see guy was killed when he suicided himself. I reported him, hope he gets a ban.
    People pay Microsoft for a service. It's there JOB to maintain that service. In this instance, the paying customers enjoyment is being interrupted by some individuals. There are very much doing the right thing by keeping the game fair.

8. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    EULAs and T/C agreements are total crap when it comes to real world application, no matter since this IS NOT a cheat. It is a bug a glitch. A cheat is something that is not freely avaliable to everyone, something that circumvents the standards of the system it is applied to giving an unfair advantage to the person using the cheat. Everyone who owns a copy of MW2 has the ability to use this glitch so what would MS do if everyone did start to use it? Would they ban everyone, better yet given that everyone can use it in what way is it giving anyone an unfair advantage?

The blame lies at IW's door for this one but MS would rather try and force the blame on to the player, and if they make extra cash out of the bargain then great. Of course most games have had to deal with glitchers in general for years, the consensus was to what degree did the glitch give the player an advantage, if everyone could do it then fine let it be, if it made the game hugely unfair then server admins would ban the use and players could often vote to have players caught glitching removed or banned, of course IW decided that players shouldn't be allowed to make such sweeping decisions but rather it would seem it is the place of MS to make excessively idiotic decisions.

Really you get caught using a glitch that is freely available to anyone else in the game is it really fair to be banned not just from that game but ALL Live games for 24 hours?

9. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    That means nothing though.

EULAs usually break all manner of consumer laws, at least the kinds we have over here, and by doing so they're made null and void from any legal perspective.

Of course the producer always maintains control over any service you're buying/renting, as opposed to a physical product, so the distinction may be of little consequence in this case.

However, one of the rights a Swedish consumer does not have is the right to voluntarily surrender any of his consumer rights. Confused? All that means is that any EULA asking you to surrender one or more of your consumer rights is, in fact, asking you to break the law and is thus illegal. :)

YMMW, it's not as if consumer law is universal.

10. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    100% fair, cheat or glitch, the end result is still an unfair advantage.

Yes, its IW's mistake, but you think all the fair playing people should have to put up with this, it might be extreme, but it sets an example which is sorely needed, and im sure if someone complains enough they will get a refund for the 24hours.

11. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    The only thing that bugs me about this is if it affects the entire account, as opposed to just the game.

It'd be like my internet connection being cut due to me calling out some *bleep* on a forum, for example. I might deserve a forum ban but certainly not having my entire connection severed.

It's amusing to think about the consequences of applying this kind of heavy-handedness IRL, as opposed to an online service. :)

"Sir, we noticed you slipping into one of our pay-lock toilets without inserting the required quarter earlier today. As punishment for this offense you'll be chained to your bedpost for 24 hours."

12. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Its not really the same thing.

If all the forums were controlled by one group then yes, but they aren't.

Even the toilet thing would be more like a ban from all toilets, not chained to a bed.

People are over-reacting.

13. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    No, imo it was Microsoft who overreacted :rolleyes:

14. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Of course not, skimping on the quarter for a pay-loo is a much more serious offense. :p

15. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Absolutely seconded.

(In Germany it works the same way, btw.)

16. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    Cheaters always cry when they get caught out. :)

17. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    People are just over-reacting, Microsoft is just doing what they usually do. Modern Warfare 2 is a huge release so when Microsoft does a mass ban/suspension, the media would react to it 'cuz they know they have a good story to publish ... OMG THAT'S A HUGE NUMBERR!!! is basically what's happening. Since the media blew up a small thing to something huge, people then starts to over-react to the point now.

Bugs happen, it's not IW's fault, there's no such thing as a 100% bug-free software of this size, it's just impossible. Any software developer know that they're software is buggy when they release it, it's just that they fix all the critical bugs. If they took time to fix all the bugs in the system, then it'll take too much time and money to do it making software making a thing that's not profitable.

deltatux

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  18. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    If it's not IW's fault for a badly programmed game then whose is it? IDK how you can't blame the programmers. Better blame God for making the lame programmer.

19. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I can sympathize with bugs in PC games, but not in a console game, so it should be up to IW to sort this ASAP.

20. Joey

Joey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    It's not badly programmed. It's a glitch. I've played a lot of this game and I haven't had a single crash, load fail, slow-down or graphical snafu. Other the occasional network issue for whoever was hosting a game, it's been rock solid.