Microsoft might offer Windows 10 as a subscription

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 17, 2018.

1. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    As I said, I have a Netflix subscription so I can watch any show on Netflix whenever I want. In no way is my subscription status dependent on future releases or exclusives. Buying DVDs would be an extremely costly and inconvenient alternative, especially since I tend to binge watch related content on a particular genre that I fancy at the time (the only time that I rent or buy a movie is when it's not available on Netflix, and I only buy digitally via Play Movies). The same goes for my subscription to Play Music. I could just outright buy each song or album, but I decided it would be easier to get a subscription so I can access the entire library of songs and play them whenever I want.

I used to buy DVD and Blu-ray movies, as well as maintaining a huge list of MP3s for my music library. I've gradually found that a subscription model is more convenient so I transitioned over. If Steam offered a subscription service, where you pay a monthly fee and access any game you want, I'd sign up in a heartbeat (assuming the price is reasonable of course).

Again, you are paying to access the service, like Dropbox or Lastpass or a VPN. These subscription services all operate under the same model and a Windows subscription would be no different. Furthermore, if Office 365 is anything to go by, they will most likely offer it as an alternative to an outright purchase (you will most likely still be able to buy a license). At any rate, the success of Office 365 shows that this model is viable so I wouldn't be surprised to see it being used for Windows.

These subscription services are also great for multiple devices or users. Office 365 Home supports up to six users and five devices per user, with each user also getting access to 1 TB of cloud storage. Microsoft could offer something similar for a Windows subscription, meaning a single subscription could be enough for your entire extended family and each family member will get a ton of cloud space. I maintain multiple PCs at home so a Windows subscription would be helpful (it's one of the reasons why I have a Office 365 subscription). A subscription is a nice option if you want to share a service - I currently share my Netflix subscription with my sister, father and sister-in-law (who all live apart from me).

2. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    Every morning I wake up I wonder what else can Microsoft do to piss off their customers. This is one of them.

Order_66 and Keitosha like this.
  3. Mr_Twinky

Mr_Twinky Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Vega56
    Just one more reason why Windows 10 & Microsoft suck

Order_66 and Dimitrios1983 like this.
  4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    You have no idea how often I've thought about forcing myself to use a Linux distro for everything I possibly can. But every time I've attempted it, it didn't last long due to every issue you can imagine. Until desktop Linux distros go mainstream, as in a major company starts selling it pre-installed in products like Android is on phones, I don't see it developing to the point of being convenient enough for the average Joe to switch to.

Keitosha likes this.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I understand all of that. You're kind of agreeing with my point. Your Netflix subscription gives you a wide access of various content, and I'm sure you don't intend to watch the same thing a dozen times. You pay for the subscription because you want the vast variety for a low price. I'm sure you're not going to be all that upset if something is taken down, because "owning" (take that word as you will) it isn't your interest. You are a perfect example of how a subscription system works well.
    How does this translate to MS products, whose features you use on a regular basis and does not continuously generate new features on a weekly, monthly, or even quarterly basis? You're continuously paying to use the same thing. You're hardly getting anything new, so why continue to pay for nothing else?
    Makes sense, though that's a bit of a digression. I was saying DVDs and Blu Rays more as an example of something kept permanently, but you can keep digital copies permanently too (like with Steam). Keep in mind, I'm not at all ridiculing your usage of these services. I don't want to give that impression.
    BTW, there are various subscription services for video games. Not Steam compatible, but they do pretty much exactly what you're looking for. Might be worth it for you to look into.
    It's only a service because that's what MS decided to label it as. When you use something like Dropbox, you're paying someone to maintain the servers, replace dead drives, and for their electric bill. That's a service. If you don't feel like paying for all of that, just buy the HDD/SSD yourself, making it a product rather than a service. The nice thing is you have an option. The good thing about MS Office is they still give you the choice for the one-time payment to permanently "own" it. This is why I'm not so against Office 365 - I personally think it's dumb (take note HeavyHemi, this is an opinion) but it's not causing problems.
    Anyway, a business model can be successful, but that does not make it widely viable. If MS has "Windows as a subscription" as an option, fine, I don't really care. I think it's a poor value, but as long as there's a standalone choice (like there currently is) then there's no problem. However, just because a subscription service is a viable business with stuff like Netflix, that does not make it viable for an OS. If Windows were to ever become strictly a subscription service, I think that would be terrible news.

You say that as though one-time-payment products never had such an option.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  6. m4dn355

m4dn355 Master Guru

GPU:
    Guru3D 2080 Super H
    MS is constricting us like a python year by year, and we have no other choice but to move along in the end. Aside from gaming Ubuntu is pretty neat IMHO.

7. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    "These Tech companies want us all enslaved with no freedom just total loyalty to them. They are very sick!" (Mark Niebauer)
    "Subscriptions are great for profits. It will be leeching of forgetful consumers ("B2B") for years" (sverek)

How many times did I write, on different forums: BigBadBill and people around him, they are not a company at all - they are a gang, organized group of hyenas. M$ was built on the theft and deception, and will always be a gang, not a "company" .

Order_66 and warlord like this.
  8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i'd sooner pay for windows 7 or 8 security updates.

9. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    are they encouraging people to pirate? i mean, seriously. why would i pay a monthly fee for my operating system that was previously pay once and use til you upgrade for the last 30+ years

10. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I really hope Linux and Steam's Proton comes to fruition and/or more game developers start building games with Linux in mind.

The only thing holding me back from changing, is the fact that I don't want to sacrifice my 144Hz for >30 fps on unsupported games.

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I've read a few times that being in a subscription model with the right price and the right bonuses would be fine, and that we people are subscribing to many things anyway.
    I have to disagree.

I don't want to pay $4.99 a month for the very most basic thing I need to use my PC, the OS. Also, I don't need any of the so called "features" that come along with it.... I wouldn't even know what a feature could be that would ge me remotely interested. Up until now I got everything I need when buying a windows license, including DirectX. Other than that I see nothing of value that m$ could offer me... I don't care about their cloud storage or something else since I don't use it, probably never will. Hell, probably half of the customers that buy a prebuilt PC with an OEM license don't use any of those features. Also, this probably introduced an online DRM (checking subscription), so that in order to use your PC you have to have access to the internet? That sounds silly for any mobile PC user, where you don't always want to make use of your mobile data plan or there's not always a wifi hotspot available to just start your device...

Also I'd be basically paying $60 a year for an OS that you buy for... 100$, so after 20 months they start to earn more money off of customers. I haven't seen a single feature introduced since windows 7 that I want to use... it's sad but true. And I'm not even starting to talk on the state of dx12, win10 was able to introduce two features (HDR and DXR) that gamers can even see... and I don't fancy either of those. The rest? I don't think that we are talking about any theme modes or such rubbish that they sell as a new invention... sorry, but to have them earn more money off me for no more improvement only works because they got a de facto monopoly on PC gaming.

They want to charge for the OS like a subscription... so what comes next? You need a monthly plan to drive your car because you have to subscribe for firmware updates or it won't start anymore? Or your fridge who's ice cube maker is suddenly not supported anymore unless you upgrade to the latest paid firmware version (second oldest being free)? Because they have a "bug" that suddenly disables functions that worked so you feel, think, or are suggested you should upgrade? We all know their practices... they're scum and they will force that on people. I can see the appeal of subscriptions to the company, but users only pay more, all the time, every time. So I'm not surprised by this, more groaning because finally the managers on top also have finally noticed.

I don't want to pay a subscription fee to not use 90% of any user "front" features, that's silly. And honestly, for me there is not much more to it. Might switch back to win7 if they do this, in it's current state, I can well skip anything that has to do with dx12, so... what should I use win10 for then?

carnivore, Netherwind and sverek like this.
  12. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Testing new features?

It's understandable to subscribe for M$ tools like Office. Someone has to work professionally with Word for sometime and won't be able to launch it after it expires. Job is done.
    But for OS, not being able to access your data cause OS is expired is just sad. "OS is expired" is just weird. It's not like you installed OS without activating it.

However, I hope it's just an option and won't affect how M$ shift their license strategy. Promoting it will backfire with increasing piracy.

13. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Its a Windows as a service,as Nada-ella say it.

Wait,but there is more:
    Windows 10 19H1 Will Let Users Change File Explorer Theme Independently
    Microsoft is working on giving users more control over the look of their system in Windows 10, and the upcoming 19H1 release will make it possible to change the File Explorer theme independently from the rest of the desktop.

Wow,new features for w10,since they remove this from start and make win10 so bland and make it ugly as windows 3.x .just wow.... :D

[​IMG]

14. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    You don't see the great picture here. What if after that huge change, all software start to turn into a subscribed feature? How will you all here feel, if you need half a monthly salary only for the software and games you use and own already? Sad times. Dark ages.

sykozis likes this.
  15. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Its for people that use/want/need Office Subscription, now they will get Windows as part of it.

16. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    No, it is not and only conspiracy theorist thought otherwise. (Or, how did that Microsoft is replacing the desktop conspiracy work out?)

17. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    And yet, Windows 10 is completely free to use. That basic functionality you're talking about doesn't cost a single cent - the only thing a license does is allow customization and gets rid of the watermark. You also don't necessarily need to pay for Office - the web version is free to use, as well as the mobile versions (for devices smaller than 10.1 inches). Believe it or not, there is more free Microsoft software today than there ever was before, and yet you complain bitterly about how they're forcing everything behind a paywall. To go from "Microsoft might offer Windows 10 as a subscription" to "Microsoft is forcing everyone to pay recurring fees for basic OS functionality" is a giant leap too far.

A Windows subscription will likely follow the Office model - that is, it will be offered alongside individual licenses. I don't know about you, but I consider more options to be a good thing. Businesses will likely benefit the most from this kind of system but some consumers may also find it useful (those who need to manage multiple computers).

18. Toadstool

Toadstool Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I hate subscription plans, especially for software. Win10 has been incredibly unstable for me, the notion of having to pay monthly for software that brick'd itself twice on update for me is laughable.

Back when Adobe switched to the subscription based CreativeCloud, I swore them off. I paid $500 in 2010 as a student for Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, and use all three regularly. To get those now would cost me 52/month, which totals almost 5 grand for the 8 years I've had CS5. I guess what I'm getting at is that a subscription plan may seem cheap but adds up quick, especially when the product is going to be used for years and isn't seeing significant improvement to features or stability.

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Is it? I can't imagine buying new hardware and build a PC and installing windows 10 and try to use it prolonged. It's not free, and honestly I don't know since when this should be the truth. Did I miss this anywhere? Might be the case, haven't heard of it or read of that around here.... I wouldn't mind a free basic win10 license without paying when I'm not a student and don't want to be limited by a trial time. And don't mention that win7 - win10 upgrade mechanic, it's not free to anybody not already having bought a license for 7 in some way, is it? And also it's over now, isn't it? Maybe I have missed something here, but I'd be glad to learn more about any free windows licenses / keys if you can point me in the right direction, which are not warez or stolen.

I don't say there isn't enough free software from m$, I'm saying 1) that I don't need it anyway and 2) that they won't offer what I need without the other crap bundled in any subscription model, or so I thought... I'm afraid we're not exactly talking about the same thing.
    But when windows is a subscription model, what do you think will be offered outside of any subscription and outside of any bought license? The way I see it, if they want people to subscribe to a prolonged service, they need to give me some service. Yes, security updates could be one thing that's requiring them to constantly spend money on development of solutions. But that also was part of any windows version before, too. The thing with which the attractiveness of any subscription will work, or not for people are features, and the features introduced since win10's launch are not interesting to me personally. I could still live with winXP GUI, probably. 7 for sure....

I have to admit though, I did not know that you can now buy a seperate, pay once license for office 365, I've learned from you there. Although, you don't get the webstorage if you don't subscribe but pay for a full license (which is uninteresting to me anyway), so you do not get the same when buying a license and a subscription in that single detail. I hope they do keep up a similar model to windows, since like you also correctly said, more options are good.

I just don't trust m$ to make it easier on the customer. Maybe they will, and I'm just a paranoid biased guru here, but I don't see m$ giving away something better for the same amount of money, they are a business, and as a business they're not necessarily living the philosophy of every home customer being king... You are right, it won't all be behind a pay wall, but I never actually said that... you made me rethink somewhat, and it probably won't be as radically cut down when a subscription is released, but I went into this more with the idea of windows being "subscription only". I'd like to install a plain, naked, fully "unlocked" windows (with ALL the options an ENT version or LTSB / LTSC offers) for a minimal one time payment, but this won't happen... I'm still expecting the non-subscription license will contain less of what they offer than what you get with a subscription model.

20. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    The Windows 7 to 10 upgrade is over, but you can still use Windows 10 for free if you want to (it just means that you can't customize it and there will be a permanent watermark in the bottom-right corner). I did this for several months earlier this year on one of my computers - it was a temporary system and I didn't want to spend more money buying a license (even without a license, it was fully functional and I used it as my main gaming system until I rebuilt it). Microsoft previously required you to buy a license to use Windows but they've become lenient with Windows 10, allowing you to use it without a license indefinitely with only cosmetic limitations.

The article below has more details:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/

Note that Microsoft wants to use Windows 10 as a service platform (to sell services like Skype, Office, OneDrive, as well as the Windows Store, Cortana and targeted ads) so they have an incentive to get more people on it. They previously operated under a pay-to-use license model but now they operate under a cloud-based subscription model, part of what turned the company around after the dark Windows 8 days. They've also opened up their products on more platforms and offer free to use versions.

HandR and fantaskarsef like this.