Microsoft might be interested in buying AMD, according to source [KitGuru]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by (.)(.), Jun 30, 2015.

1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Warning - Click bait imo.
    Source

By the power of Grey Skull...Discuss!

Theres a comment in that link that mentions the complications that could arise since Sony uses amd tech in their consoles.. one of many reasons why this should be considered a rumor.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  2. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Samsung buying AMD sounds better for the consumer for their hardware and funding. I can imagine if Microsoft bought them they would change the entire company which might not be a great thing.

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    If MS buy AMD, could be the end of the discrete GPU side of things. Have a feeling MS would rather PC gaming to decline or disappear altogether so gamers turn to consoles.

4. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080M
    Quite contrary - I got a lot of info from MS that they want to expand PC gaming.

5. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    MS has been busy expanding their pc gaming and unifying xbox one and windows. So if this would happen it would be either good or bad. Good in a sense that amd would have money. Bad if they went ahead and derped.

MS would be crazy to abandon pc gaming since that is their most solid platform :D

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Yep, if "PC gaming" means Xbone + windows.. then discrete GPUs may have little to no benefit to MS. Its a cut-throat business with too little margin compared to what MS could rake in on consoles if the bought out AMD.

7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Little to no margin? Um...then how is it that Nvidia have survived this long and so well?

This issue is with amd as to why they're not making much money on discrete gpus, not the industry.

8. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080M
    Console hardware usually results in losses for manufacturers, and they get their money back with software licensing.

MS representatives were reassuring devs about gaming possibilities, with and without Xbox. Actually (as a dev) I even got a survey from them today asking about games for Windows platform, Unity engine usage etc. Xbox for Windows stuff is not only connecting Xbox to your Windows box for streaming, Oculus etc, but also a distribution and integration channel, similar to Steam.

They added some reasonable distribution channels that can be used by game publishers easily, which should come in handy especially for indie devs - they include 1-time purchases, discounts, cross-sell, cross-discounts, subscriptions, freemium, unlocks and other in-app purchases, also a recommendation model.

With DX12, there should be less graphics overhead and much easier app porting, and with MonoGame and greater Unity support, more indie games.

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Doubt this will happen in imo. But if it did they have the money to do proper r and d. Not the car console change holder that amd currently has for r and d compared to ms, intel and nvidia.

10. elpsychodiablo

elpsychodiablo Master Guru

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    For Microsoft its like a Jackpot.

PC
    they don´t need to **** up with Nvidias Gameworks, they found a way that Nvidia must use Microsoft Standards, as they did years befor with OpenGL and EAX.

Consoles
    the Generation after Xbox One could be a complete win if they dont give there technology to Sony and Nintendo, and we all know ARM suck hard on gaming, i just saw it at Nvidia Shield...
    Maybe we see in future a Intel Iris Pro Console :D or Sony and Nintendo goes the PowerPC + Nvidia way.

Mobile
    AMD own ARM Core on Zen is the most Powerful ARM CPU, combined with APU they could have probably the strongest Mobile / Tablet setup with Hololence as candy

If Microsoft really want it they just take it, if they buy Minecraft for that overpriced money then AMD should not be a problem.

11. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Microsoft is more likely to sell the console side of the business or shut it down than buy AMD. The xbox hasn't been doing well for a long time, people seem to think it's mega profitable for MS but it really isn't. Back in 2013 it was estimated that MS was losing billions annually, and the Xbone has been a disaster since launching mid that year.

I also seem to remember one of the higher ups at MS stating that he'd shut down that part of the company given the chance. I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if the Xbone was the last MS console.

I don't see it happening for the mobile side of things either.

12. elpsychodiablo

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    So Microsoft buy Minecraft for 2.500.000.000$ for shut down the console part
    intersting view

i mean for the same money they could buy amd and microsoft want own hardware like apple. So buy amd is a good step.

13. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Companies like MS have massive amounts of money to throw around, and they plan things out in advance. The Xbone will run for at least 5 years whether it's profitable or not, it'd be a PR disaster to shut it down this early in the lifespan. That doesn't change the fact that once the console has had it's time there's a good chance we wont see another Xbox console.

Buying AMD if they're already leaning toward getting rid of the Xbox brand would not be a sensible move. They're more likely to buy AMD for the phone side of things, but the phone side of things is losing money for them last I checked also. The losses they are suffering are not related to hardware, but more to brand image, and that's incredibly unlikely to change.

14. elpsychodiablo

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    Microsoft sold
    84.580.000 Xbox 360 and
    13.000.000 XBone. For one XBone Microsoft pay to AMD about 100$ thats about
    1.300.000.000$ until now and about
    2.000.000.000$ they could buy the whole company.

This console gen just started, doesnt matter how **** the console gen are this time, the Games why people buy the xbox befor are not released still on XBone.

At the same time Microsoft can care about that Sonys Console doesnt get a lower price in future. At last Microsoft could win this "Console War".

And we just talk about console.

15. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    They lost money on the original xbox and the xbox 360.

The console gen might have just started, that doesn't change the fact the brand hasn't turned a profit in close to a decade. Do you think operating costs will just go away if they buy AMD? Of course they wont, they'll have spent the money on the company itself and then need to support it via operating costs. Do you think they'll see a genuine return in five years? It isn't going to happen.

Yes they could potentially buy the company, nobody is disputing that. It's highly unlikely that they will because the issues they have with profit in the hardware field are down to brand image. Apple is worth more than Microsoft and spends almost half as much on advertising each year. Microsoft buying AMD will not solve anything for them, console gaming has declined in popularity even outside of the issues Microsoft have had specifically with the Xbox.

They're far more likely to be interested in ARM designs for their mobile solutions, but as I mentioned they've not exactly been profitable either.

16. elpsychodiablo

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
  17. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Why are you linking an article that was posted in the OP?

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Apple own ARM, at least they own a lot of shares and have done since the 90's.

If they had discussions with AMD, it would not surprise me as AMD are ripe for takeover - something which their shareholders and executives appear to care more about than actually releasing decent products for gamers, or, having a good dialogue with the games industry.

Funny isn't it? You claim to deliver the world, but barely end up delivering an Island, yet you can drive share prices down so someone buys you out and gives you a major boost on your shares so you can rinse and repeat at another company.

I hate executives like that. They care about the share price more than the company, and shares should never be given to executives - shares should be in a castle, with a moat outside complete with sharks. On an Island. On another planet. In a different solar system. In a different Galaxy. In a different Universe. In a different dimension.

19. elpsychodiablo

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    it look like you didnt read it, or stopped after the title to read, perhaps you think Kitgurus analyzes for dumb.
    So i thought post it again.

20. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    I read it and my point stands.

They could save a billion per year, when they were losing roughly two billion per year back in 2013 and things have only gotten worse since then. The issue with sales is down to brand image, the benefits they'd gain from buying AMD would not magically make their hardware departments a success.

You also seem to think they'd be able to crap on Sony, when in reality little would change par the fact Microsoft would gain royalties (which aren't massive) on each console sold.