Microsoft Is Planning to run XBox One games on your Windows PC

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 28, 2019.

1. DrKeo

DrKeo Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 970GTX 4GB
    This is amazing. If it emulates the xbo fully then it will also run backward compatibility titles. Because its NT kernel with dx12 I guess it will have great preformance unlike most emulators just like xbo x runs xbo s games with a totally different architecture (no esram, completely different GPU etc) without a hit.

Crimson skies from the og xbox? Red dead redemption, halo 3, halo reach and gears 3 from the 360? Red dead redemption 2 and halo 5 from the xbo? Time splitters or black or the burnout series? Sign my up!

I have a guess on why it’s happening - gamepass. With emulation they can bring 100% of gamepass to the pc without worring if a game has a pc version or not.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  2. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    You will be buying them, as there will not be anymore PC versions of games, they will only do them for the Xbox, and the Playstation, as the Xbox version, will now be the PC version too, and they have everything to do with AMD, as its their GPUs that they are running on (as well as their CPUs).

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    We all can do any predictions. We will see.

4. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    AMD has been working on this for a long time now. Back then, it was how AMD would get back at Nvidia. Not sure what the strategy is now though.

But one thing is certain, at least for me, Nvidia would be denied source code from those game developers as a conflict of interest with AMD. But from what I recall Nvidia would need to send someone to their studio to "assist" and not have the game in house.

Unless they are now lax'd about it.

Edit:
    It's a good marketing tool to encourage why one should fully invest in AMD's ecosystem:
    Radeon GPU
    Ryzen CPU and Motherboard

5. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Of course in the future people are going to pay a monthly fee to have the Xbox gaming service, just like Netflix or any other streaming service. I believe Sony is already doing something similar with PS Now or something like that.

6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070/ RX580/ 780Ti
    I see this as good news. They talked about doing this years ago. This is the optimist in me speaking though.

I would want extra games from the crossover and not less, real PC games (if developers get lazy). If it ultimately means we get shafted out of proper PC games and they all play like sh!tty console ports, then I hate this news.

At this point, we don't even know how this works. It would be sweet if your PC power made a difference but I suspect there will be a frame-rate cap on most or all titles.

7. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
    "Emulating" the Xbox One on a PC shouldn't be too hard to accomplish.These things are basically PCs nowadays anyway. Sure, some proprietary stuff might have to be translated, but overall, the Xbox One also runs a version of Windows 10 with DirectX.

It's kind of neat, but also kind of concerning. Will we no longer get video options etc. to tweak our games then? Will Keyboard, Mouse and custom controller support support still be available for these Xbox games?

Although come to think of it, with the Xbox Ecosystem having various consoles of various performance levels to play the same games (and the next Xbox rumoured to come out in at least three different versions of different price points and performance levels, add that to the current Xbox One, Xbox One S and Xbox One X we'll already have six different systems), sooner or later they'll add graphics options, etc.. like on PC versions anyway. Let's hope so. And let's hope Keyboard and Mouse support will be added to many more Xbox One games that already support it.

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    And what does that have to do with the topic? Nothing ;)

yasamoka likes this.
  9. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 /AMD v7
    I wish they could make m$ PC games running on PC...like my forza, bought like 1.5y ago, always had problems. First, to make it run from m$store...then, make multiplayer possible. Always pain in arse...
    Now fkn game just refuse to start. 1809, all needed for this crap updates, and can't still play my game. Tried everything found in Google or m$ sites.
    Never ever will buy anything for xbox or from their store, they suck hard....

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    PowerShell is not emulator. It executes either script (its own language) or .Net Framework code. Script is interpreted (line by line). .Net Framework code is compiled to native CPU code on the fly (JIT compiler).
    If XBOX code is compiled for the same CPU then it doesn`t require emulation.

Eastcoasthandle likes this.

11. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I have to ask if this approach will completely remove all the middleware api that is used in today PC games?

Furthermore, will this truly showcase async compute through a more pure parallel execution in which there are heavier loads of both Graphics and Compute to the likes we've not seen in PC gaming? If so, this might get very interesting. What are the benchmark results of the current game that is doing this?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    As I take it XBOX One games utilize the same DirectX code.

13. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Ah, I see. I wonder if there are any benchmarks out there for State of Decay yet...

14. TheSarge

TheSarge Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X
    Not on my PC. I stripped out all the garbage UWP bloatware (except the few useful ones like Calculator). Used the powershell to unprovision the UWP packages and then did a "take ownership" on all the folders to actually remove the files off my SSD. Microsoft sure made it hard to delete their UWP bloatware but it's not impossible.

Order_66 likes this.
  15. Venix

Venix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    I am never buying anything from Windows store .i will from steam ,epic store and gog especially gog all day long !

Mr_Twinky and Order_66 like this.