Microsoft hit hard for Enabling Windows 10 built-in keylogger feature

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    If you can get ReactOS to work with your hardware. I watched a YouTube Video of a guy who tried to look at ReactOS and it kept crashing with BOSDs all over the place. It looked like Windows ME allover again. While ReactOS looks promising it has a long way to go even with people's help. You are talking about a Windows alternative that acts the same way as Windows a program that has years of work behind it.

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Guys, the reality is what it is.M$ tactics pushes us to find alternatives, being ReactOS or whatever name of the different OS.
    The ideea is to expose oneself to different OSes and see if there is some way out.For general computing tasks GNU/Linux may suffice(with known trade-offs), gaming is getting closer by each day.

Yesterday, the few who had computers, the geeks, the hackers in the good ethical way were able to get the most of what was offered there, and if the need arose, they fork code and survived based on their skills.

Fast foward to today, where few know the minutiae of a kernel/OS, or know what knob to touch in order to protect their privacy from prying eyes - and massive amounts of not-computer-savy people who use computers/smartphones/tables on daily basis whitout the slightest idea of what happens under their nose.

For M$ is simple task of triage, sacrifice the few and their concerns and offer simplicity, dumbed down push-buttons and reap the benefits.

Dark times ahead, dark times.

3. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I wonder what OS hackers use the most?

4. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It does look on the conformity between what the OS suggest you when you handwrite something with a magnetic pen and what the final user decision (if keep the suggested/recognized word or if you choose a different word).
    This is an essential step on the machine learning used to improve the general handwrite calligraphy identification which is used to improve the service across all the OS installation, and personalization of the identification based on your own calligraphy.
    If you turn it off, you will not contribute to the general service improvement.

This service is enable on every Windows since the pen-tablet support with Windows XP (never used a Bamboo pen-tablet so sign something?).
    The only big difference is that you can now easily turn it off or on, even before the first user logon, when it will ask about it.

It does NOT hook your keyboard at all, so it's not a keylogger at all.

The funniest thing is people are complaining about something which is not a key-logger but a machine learning service while they do not care at all about what on their phone is installed or what their social networks do with real sensible data.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Just because you can install Windows drivers and applications on an OS, does not make it anywhere near a viable Windows alternative

If Windows ceased to exist today, I would move to Linux before ReactOS, as I expect most others here would

6. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The same they usually hack, especially by remote.

7. chronek

chronek Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
    If you compare what OS is more complete then yes it would be Linux. But Linux was not created for running windows stuff, it just have 3-rd party application/emulator what allow that. ReactOS in the other hand it is created to be fully alternative of Windows, it just need more time/development/donations...

For me "alternative" to windows is not just any os where you can check facebook, but os what would run every windows binary application as it would be in windows, there are limits what emulators can do, because they have to add one more layer between program and hardware so programs what use hardware directly will not work. If all adobe programs (with mercury graphic engine) and all games what i have would work on Linux the same as in windows i would change my os to Linux, for now i have only debian in virtualbox for few git compiled things

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  8. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    I 100% agree with this observation.

9. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    I can't say enough about O&O Shut Up 10 best little bit of free software ever turns all that silly cr@p off in one foul swoop

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Dude if you want to run windows binaries... just run it on windows!

I see you mention this ReactOS in every windows thread. Forget about it. It might serve you well as additional hobby, (running HoMM2 under Linux used to be my hobby :D), but programs will always run best at platform they target.

Its gdamn unproductive and straight up waste of time, because this or that reason not to run binaries on the platform under which they are fully supported and designed for, only to be greeted by my myriads of issus,
    that make "this or that" which you're avoiding, pale in comparison.

I congratulate you for your enthusiasm, but please come back to planet Earth. ReactOS will not be replacing windows, except maybe for ppl running Winamp or doing demos: Look at me im running Windows binaries, and i dont even have windows.

11. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol, it's just a broken hacked clone of some ancient Windows version from decades ago

Next to nothing works, and everything is a Windows rip-off, I'm surprised MS haven't hammered them for copyright

If you want a way better version of ReactOS, install Windows 98se / 2k

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I assure you its not, and I have never ever even seen this ReactOS.

GNU Linux is a wonderfull OS which is able to effortlessly consume hundreds of hours just on basic tweaking, kernel compiling, adding modules for that brand new 802.11ac adapter that you just bought, or adding accelerated xyz which under Windows you take for granted.

13. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea Linux has it's place in the computing world, I am a tweaker at heart, but for my main PC I want something I don't have to spend hours tweaking to get it to do something simple like install a driver

I would happily have a second Linux machine for playing about with, and I do run 2 x Raspberry Pi's with Linux for different things, but yea for my main PC I need something that will just do as you tell it without having to code that command in first

14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    is like Blizzard - you only get their attention if your private server is any good :D

holy cow... that youtube vid ReactOS demonstration was laughable. Even Linux gets your basic audio with a breeze these days.
    The version should be renamed to 0.0.4.4 :banana:

15. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I'm with you about ReactOS. I have seen a Video where this one YouTuber tries to get it working on AMD PC from the early 2000s and it crashed on him numerous times with ReactOS's version of a BOSD.

I have a HP Elite book 2540 which is very small laptop 1280X800 screen resolution and a 1st generation core i7 dual core mobile chip and 6Gb of RAM. I have Linux mint 18.1 XFCE deskop and it is running very well. I am able to play 1080p 60 fps Video off of YouTube with zero issues. Linux has its uses but it takes a while to get used to and figuring how stuff works. I do not have to do much in command line though. I usually install software from the software center. I'm like you I need Windows because I am a gamer and Linux only has a handful of games either from Steam or GOG.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017

16. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    Mate, major props for pointing this out, looking at what this tiny file does is perfect. i was holding out on windows 10 until i saw this.

Looks like i will be upgrading to RS2 now.

Thanks again. :nerd:

17. BubbaBobBob

BubbaBobBob New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Not sure what the outrage is, this IS old news. I disabled mine ages ago and it has not enabled itself...
    Sneaky yes, New no...

18. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XP related news... When they will realize all modern browser today have something similar and they also sold this information to BigG?

19. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1080ti
    thank you very much !
    didn't know this app, despite the fact that I'm installing updates manually and KBs only after checking what they are online, blackbird still found ones I "shouldn't have"

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  20. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    :pc1:"Telemetry and usage monitoring" like tools aren't bad necessarily and I can ensure you, this whole thing doesn't hurt MS a bit. They don't care about your insecurites to be honest...some people wrote a code for all "these" things you know and they implemented them into OS, you can never blame a programmer:)