Microsoft hit hard for Enabling Windows 10 built-in keylogger feature

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Guru3D used to be a great source for tech info and solid, honest reviews and the forums generally had very knowledgeable and helpful participants. The reviews tend to be pretty solid still. Yet, for these past few years it seems that the rest of the site is more of an advertisement for tin-foil and hopping on the band-wagon to get clicks than anything else. And don't get me started on the forums. Sure, there are still the valiant few here that hold the line, but the majority has definitely fallen from grace.

2. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    This. It would be finny when they will receive the first legal charges...

3. chronek

chronek Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
    Btw best part - that button is only for sending, if you turn it off it still keylogg just not send... It will send all data when will be auto-enabled on next update ;-)
    I hope ReactOS will speed its development... Vulkan games working fine on it, just directx need more work..

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Privacy?
    Welcome to 2017 where your privacy is a comodity sold by the people who care only about their bank accounts and nothing else.
    Want your privacy back? Change and adapt.Be aware, prepare for the worst.
    There is a big gap to be filled by Vulkan, Wine, SteamOS and gaming on Linux, but eventually we will getting somewhere.
    For now one can game in Linux, but there are trade-offs.Apart from SteamOS, Manjaro has the best built-in tuned options for Steam and gaming on Wine.
    Even so, for everyday use, one can run ChromeOS, a favour of GNU/Linux and could be none the wiser about the OS.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Assuming turning a setting off in a settings menu created by Microsoft turns off something Microsoft wants.

6. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Remember that...

...BigBadBill's m$ is, practically a state-owned (CIA/NSA/FBI) company, whose MAIN purpose is to SPY people across the World (not just USA).

7. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I actually will be one to agree with your re: win 98. It was a great OS and overall I had little issues with it during my time using it.

I found XP to be great as well, but 98 was the first step and imo was a good one.

8. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    This guy is correct, at least for my install. No modifications or other anti-MS-spy programs installed on my Windows 10, just vanilla. Changing from Recommended to Basic greys out the setting, and switching back to Recommended immediately makes it changeable (but still off). Can repeat as much as I want.

9. red6joker

red6joker Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    Guess I need to check mine. I have not looked at my privacy settings in awhile. It seems like after an update it switched on before, the same thing happened with Cortana. I keep that off but it got turned one after an update.

10. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    Nope, this is a keylogger plain and simple.
    Yep, exactly this.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I didn't think you could disable telemetry on Win 10 Home, and Win 10 Pro got the same treatment with the anniversary update.

The general point here is that we lost control of our PC's some time ago. Big companies install what they want, take what they want and even delete what they want. All of this takes place just from such simple things as updates that are described in detail, but miss out the privacy stuff. Look no further than Nvidia drivers, they come with all kinds of telemetry. Love that older version of GFE without the login requirement on your PC ? Soon deleted when you run the driver installer.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017

11. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armor 8G OC
    I remember disabling it but now it's grayed out. Can't click on it but it shows as disabled.

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    As far back as I remember that option being there, it was on by default for me until I completely disabled whatever was tied to that (now it's greyed out, and I don't remember what I did :wanker:). After first noticing it was re-enabled I checked on it a few times after updates. Some updates reset it, not all. But I did confirm it can reset after an update.

13. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    Thank you Hilbert for posting this article.

14. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Welcome to the internet in general....

15. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    I think it would be naive not to believe that Governments, especially here in the UK, collect every piece of information they can on everyone in the country through whatever means available.
    To put this into a recent perspective, a man with no links to terrorism or to terrorists, is known to MI5 and all information such as addresses, aliases, contacts etc is available within minutes.

Maybe you are right and I am paranoid, but all I know for sure is that people in real power want to stay in power and keep the rest of us where we are.

16. LordSoth

LordSoth Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 8gig
    More and more i think it is time to start using Linux, i do not like being pushed to a new OS i do not want and there over aggressive strategies to push people to win 10 and i do not like this feature at all.

17. chronek

chronek Member Guru

GPU:
    Linux can not run all windows programs and games.... If all peoples who hates windows changes could donate even small amount to opensource ReactOS we could have windows alternative at the end of year...

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    ReactOS looks like it's still in the Windows 98se era

There will be no Windows replacement, period, so long as MS continue development of Windows, nothing will ever come close, and that is a sad fact

Especially when Linux is 10x closer than
    an OS like ReactOS and Linux can't do it

19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I agree. Plus the only way for anything especially Linux to come close to Windows as far as Windows compatibility goes if MS would sell the Windows API the core that Windows that is based off of for users to install in order for games and other Windows based applications but I do not see that ever happening. Plus there are methods for people to run Windows applications and games on Linux such as PlayonLinux, WINE and Crossover but those programs have their limits too. I have seen React OS while it does sound promising it is way too behind and it looks like Windows Xp in classic mode which isn't a bad thing. Finally ReactOS crashes alot so that is another reason why it is way behind among other things.

20. chronek

chronek Member Guru

GPU:
    Sorry but i not agree, we looking for windows alternative, so we could install windows drivers, run windows aplications, without any emulating. ReactOS is much closer to be windows alternative than any linux will be. I think you didn't even look what lastest reactos can do right now, and with small help what it could do in one year, and everyone only pound that it theme looks like windows xp, yes if you want only fancy look then windows is for you, you do not need alternative