Microsoft hit hard for Enabling Windows 10 built-in keylogger feature

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 24, 2017.

1. lanelor

lanelor Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 Stryx
    IMHO, Linux is currently good for browsing, mail and servers.

2. SSD_PRO

SSD_PRO Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    The Linux hopeful always come out when stories like this appear. All most people need to do is install Linux and the reason for for the 2% market share is clear.

People upset about this need to chill out. If you don't like it, slide the little bar left. Slide that bar left with as much emotion as you feel necessary. Two years ago I typed "I buy poop for $5000" into Windows 10. So far not one company or person has contacted me to sell me poop.

3. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock

Huum it was disabled on mine, and with the new update, it is still disabled ( i have just double check today for be sure. )...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  4. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix

5. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    I don't see how this is news to anyone, I disabled all of the telemetry stuff from the beginning, and there is a lot of it.

6. Pictus

Pictus Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT
  7. ddelamare

ddelamare Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1070 X4
    After seeing this i though to check my domain machines!
    Its greyed out so looks like my GPO is working. (Phew)

Its disguising behavior, having to keep re-checking your privacy settings, personal or business!

Win10 :puke2:

8. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 580 GTS BE
    I saw on reddit that Donald Trump AND George W Bush are reptilians that want to invade Canada and then overthrow the Queen!

I'm not saying Windows protects your privacy, but this is the exact same thing that EVERYONE knew about before Windows 10 was released. If you paid attention, and turned it off - IT STAYED OFF. If you got your news from reddit, you were too busy looking at cat gifs to get the facts, and now 2 years later, you've had a revelation.

Take off the tinfoil and think about this. Would they have a "secret keylogger" that everyone on the planet (except the reddit crowd) knew about before day 1? Would this secret keylogger have a great big off switch in the security settings?

Go look at WikiLeaks instead of reddit and you will see that NOTHING you do online is private and any semi-modern device is vulnerable and many of them come from the factory pre-loaded. It's not just Windows, OSX, Linux, and even more obscure OS's are just as bad. Obviously, all mobile OS's are terrible in this regard. It's not Intel's remote management features you need to worry about, but UNDOCUMENTED capabilities like this that are built in to modern hardware. You don't see it, and you can't turn it off.

This is a big distraction from the truth. We have no privacy online, and it's not as simple turning off an option in Windows.

9. aka2k

aka2k Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GS
    And what's the alternative? Linux? Sorry, my games won't run on it. Neither anything that is relevant.

I honestly think the last real great OS, and I bet a lot will heartily disagree, was the Windows 98. And Windows 2000 to some extent. They were very little intrusive UI-wise and there were little interference from MS on anything beside the base OS.

If there was a real alternative to Windows, probably most domestic users would go for it. 100% power users would go for sure. But since no company or group feels the need to tackle MS monopoly, we are left with this communist approach OS-wise. Stratospheric prices with little return of the investment.

10. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    I turned off this option on the first day, and it is still disabled.
    I do not know what the creator of this "conspiracy theory" would have done in the operating system, but here, the settings made by me on "Day 1" remain unchanged.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    wouldnt be upgrade without some thing bad eh?

I have all that privacy stuff turned off, its first thing I do when I install the OS

12. TDurden

TDurden Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    I did not touch group policy and Im running W10 Home and its still grayed out.

13. Silva

Silva Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    Vulkan is actually a thing in 2017. As more studios support it, by 2020 I expect support to grow.

14. kinggavin

kinggavin Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 980TI super jetstream
    win 10 is the worst os ever made full of backdoors keyloggers spyware adverts stores you dont need all that crap on a desktop pc , i tried it while back but i never use it on my home pc ever again

15. TDurden

TDurden Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    Windows 7 is not a wonder OS it used to be either. It does not support DX12, installation requires tinkering with USB drivers if you have Skylake or newer system, boot longer, looks a bit dated already and there are constant and constant problems with updates. It may work and update fine, but try reinstalling and updating from scratch and you are very likely to waste time trying to fix updates that stopped working..
    It does not support Intel Speed Shift either and it has mostly all the same telemetry of Win 10 now anyway.
    Admittedly its all mostly Microsofts way force to upgrade, but facts remain facts.. I rejected Win8 completely because of Microsoft nonsense UI etc, but I use Win 10.
    Windows 7 is still better for older PCs or ones still without SSD though.

16. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    Don't you watch Star Trek, Vulkan, the core, collapsed in on itself. It is a singularity now.

17. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    Yup, mine's greyed out and I remember changing GPO's back when I first installed Windows 10.

I prefer doing the tweaks manually rather then let a program do them. I prefer to know what I change and if it's for the better (usually it is though, but there are exceptions).

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I just checked on a fresh install and it's disabled...?

19. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    This is NOT new.
    This is all about handwriting on tablets, it is related on the interpretation of your calligraphy and the translation you add/modify when the system does not recognize it correctly.
    This is since Microsoft added handwriting support on Windows XP for Tablet Edition. The big difference is that you can now easily disable it.

A key-logger is a completely different thing.

20. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Intel Management Engine is a firmware which also allow the user to lock down the device remotely. You must pay for that service, and you must have the correct hardware. Not all Intel hardware has that feature.
    Finally, firmware with ring-0 pre-emption on the OS has been around since laptop with stand-by feature when you close the screen.