Microsoft has no plans for a second Windows 7 Service Pack

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Sneaky.

btw, this doesnt quite add up

3. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA, HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

^Micro$oft...

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I have no plans for Windows 8.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Still not going to get windows 8 either. They can go tap themselves.

6. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    As long a we need a windows operating system we will need to go whit the flow.
    Win 8 is not that bad if you start to learn the little tricks on it.

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It does :) Microsoft releases a bunch of hotfix updates usually within a few days after 'patch Tuesday'. These hotfixes are only available by request, they aren't distributed through the Microsoft Download Centre or Windowsupdate (including the manual 'catalog' site).

There are a couple of people that keep track of these (sorting out which ones have files that are superseded by other KB article updates), and have them available for download. They also keep track of both Windows 7 and 8 hotfixes, as well as x86 and x64 versions. To install these, you really need to use an installer script of some kind, since installing 400+ updates (non-superseded) would be very time consuming! Also ideally you would use the LDR version of these updates if available, since they are 'most up to date'. The GDR version includes only previous security and WU related updates plus the issue relating to the KB article. The LDR version includes the security and WU related changes plus all previous KB article hotfix changes.

There are also update packs floating around that include updates, but they may include unnecessary superseded updates and may not be quite up to date. Some also include a non-original version of 'Installer for Windows Updates'. The original now covers both Windows 7 and 8, and can be found here:
    http://burf.cesidian.info/

The update websites can be found in links within the script. The scripts are archived using 7-zip, you can use 7-zip or winrar to extract (use a recent version).

Installing those is as close as you can get to having a 'service pack'.

The 'Old Update Remover' is only for when you have installed all the updates in the associated links. It can also be used to remove old update files if you store a copy of the repositories locally.

NOTE:
    The 'Installer For Windows Updates' used to be on Mediafire, but Microsoft whinged about it breaking copyright and Mediafire removed it. If you look through the code you will see that it does not, by an means, break copyright, and was completely written from scratch. Any other copies or versions claiming to be written by someone else are fakes (there were a couple of people trying to claim it as their own).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2012
  8. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Nice try Microshaft, but I'm still not biting on Windows 8.
    Seriously, they are crazy, Windows 7 is their most popular and succesful OS since XP, and instead of supporting it they want to push this new sub-par OS for tablets on people? lol

9. Spider4423

Spider4423 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4080
    the only good thing about W8 is the DX11.1 but i heard rumors that W7 will get support as well

10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Oh how fair, I don't plan of switching to win8 either!

I cross my fingers game developers will make better usage of dx11 in near future... leave alone 11.1.

11. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Normally I'd jump on the hate win8 bandwagon too, but the OS it's self does feel enhanced.

Nothing that couldn't be achieved in win7 though.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Didn't you know 11+2 = 20? :p

13. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Even Apple has the good sense to make 2 OS's - 1 for tablets/handheld and another for full sized Computers/Laptops.

Giving a desktop a Tablet OS is ****ing retarded especially since most PC's/Laptops don't even use touch screen. I know you can control Windows 8 with a mouse but its design is clearly aimed at touchscreen users primarily. What a sack of s***

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You're making it sound like it's inferior because of that. It isn't. After a week you can navigate the new UI just as easily as you can 7.

The real problem I have, is exactly that, it's essentially the same. They could have actually developed a superior interface. They basically want me to pay to sidegrade.

15. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    How true.

16. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    That's pretty much how I see it, a sidegrade.

17. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    <sarcasm> Now cry that thy won't introduce any big new features to their old solid OS and will support it only to 2020 - what a disaster. </sarcasm>

18. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    It's no more of a sidegrade than 7 was for Vista. Hell, honestly, it's probably less of a sidegrade than that.

MY only complaint is that they need to merge metro and the desktop more. They just don't work well together. On their own, it's awesome. The new start menu is perfect, the desktop experience is cleaner, but largely unchanged...

The only problem is that once you open up a metro app, things start getting weird. If you never do that though, it's not big deal.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Pinning applications on the taskbar is 10x more useful than any 'feature' of Windows 8 and probably the most significant feature Microsoft has added since the start menu.

The search was significantly improved over Vista. The network configuration page and networking in general was significantly improved. The automated repair and diagnostics was improved. The general system performance was improved, mostly due to 2D graphics acceleration and whatnot. All the random aero stuff I actually found pretty useful, at least the peak and snap to the sides and stuff.

What do I get with Windows 8? A new UI that basically offers nothing in terms of functionality for me but takes upwards of a week to get used to. A ribbon in explorer that basically exposes no new features or anything useful, at least that I have found. A new file transfer system that actually reduced functionality for me. I often copy pictures off multiple camera SD cards to a single folder, now when there is a name conflict I don't have the ability to automatically append a (1) to the file name, just overwrite or skip. Slightly better memory management, which basically means nothing to me. Upgraded graphics system (WDDM 1.2) which also means nothing to me because the difference isn't as noticeable as going from Vista to 7, with the exception of Flash performance being degraded when running a full screen application. I guess a better task manager?

There is absolutely not one single Windows 8 feature that has left me impressed. Well, maybe the new sounds of the default theme, they are pretty cool. And honestly I prefer the less chrome in windows and stuff too, I hated Aero for that.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  20. -=WolverinE=-

-=WolverinE=- Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX560Ti DirectCu II
    Desperate times, eh scumbag Micro$oft? I guess they are trying to shove this crap to as many people as possible...not gonna work.