Microsoft halts production Kinect camera

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Microsoft has stopped production of his Kinect motion camera with voice recognition. The company will provide support for your existing Kinect purchases....

Microsoft halts production Kinect camera

2. maize1951

maize1951 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 8GB
    Nobody in their right mind wants to wave and flap their arms and hands around like a blooming idiot.

rl66 and TheDeeGee like this.
  3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Remember when MS was almost forcing everyone to use Kinect for XB1, until they realized it was killing their sales?

Well when you put it that way, slouching on a couch pressing a bunch of buttons and twiddling some thumb sticks doesn't sound a whole lot better.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I dont know about you but i dont play game to get work out, if i play game to play games to destress and releax. If i wanted a work out I wouldnt be playing games. Nintendo started this and both sony and ms tried to jump on that wagon too

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I never said anything about what is preferable. I'm just saying that waving and flapping your arms around doesn't make what you're doing look any less stupid than button mashing. What is preferable and/or more practical is totally different. As the saying goes "if it looks stupid but works, it isn't stupid".

6. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    2x AMD Radeon VII
    Kinect is old tech now, Microsoft is merely making space for their push with mixed reality. I would imagine we will see an xbox version of hololens at some point.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it wasn't really directed at you, it was mostly generalization that most people dont play games to get work out and flaping around and waving your arms and most other stuff kinect and similar products from nintendo and sony are no different are there such uses these things sure, but most people are not interested in such things, they just want to sit down in chair and relax while playing there game de-stress from the day.

while I thought nintendo nunchuk was interesting especial how it work with say punch out, it was not how i want to play my game and it novelty wore off fast with in 30 minutes i was look for normal controler and this what started it all imo. For virtual reality games it makes sense, and i not talking bout the virtual reality we have now. I seen and tried the " current incarnation for virtual reality and i was no impressed it still give people head headache. and mostly cause you need 120fps per eye to avoid that and still really not possible. I talking about true virtual reality where you cant tell, that dont require hugh helmet to worn which are still long ways away from.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  8. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Actually the two kinects were pretty good for development of indie titles. You can use them for motion capture of characters and 3D model capture with the depth camera.
    There's software for it that is around 400 USD, which is waaaaaaaaaay cheaper than a standard motion capture suite.

lucidus likes this.
  9. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Put the Kinect up in the Hall of Shame next to such other great accessory wonders as, Xbox 360's failed HD-DVD format/drive, N64's Expansion Pak and Sega's 32X/Sega CD.

10. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    And if nothing else, the Kinect did evolve the efficiency of hunting ghosts for the Ghost Adventures team lol

https://imgur.com/a/Jfrhf
    [​IMG]

11. labidas

labidas Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    Kinect! Good Riddance

12. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Shame really as the second version worked really well in games and voice commands, just a pity MS cursed it with their horrendous XBox one launch, i quite enjoy Rare Sports rivals on it, it works very well indeed.

rl66 likes this.
  13. Incredible Lama

Incredible Lama Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 G1
    Could this perhaps also be an indication that M$ is working on something to rival the playstationVR? I mean, as far is gimmick console gadgets go, VR is waaay cooler than kinect.

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    And nothing of value was lost.

15. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    There is actually a few workout games that support it so in that sense it is nice. It makes a workout more fun and exciting.

16. Chert

Chert Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    Out with the old... In with the new...

VR's where it's at now and I'm sure Microsoft has something planned for its console too.

Kinect was fun while it lasted.

17. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    I think HoloLens/AR is where MS is going. VR is honestly, already becoming a thing of the past imo. Integrating reality with video game seems like a very interesting and likely successful venture. Apple is also pushing this with iPhone X...well.they will once they get it out. They have software and camera support for their ARKit on iPhone 6S and up.

lucidus likes this.
  18. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    The kinect was an Ok casual concept but when playing hardcore games it would get very tiring pretty fast. It was just like the Wii with the motion controls it made a part of your body very sore with some games like the TMNT game based on the 2007 movie.

19. claydough

claydough Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 1080fe
    with open access to the kinect SDK...
    There are no devs here who take advantage of the cheap second kinect devices for motion capture and depth scan capture project fun?
    The large pool of the devices fairly cheap has been an amazing tech resource for those that can see past the knee jerk immediate gamer response ( devs, creators, hackers, etc.. )
    Thankfully Kinect is not the only depth sense game in town. But the army of crying ditto head lemmings sure made them easily accessible second hand.

20. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    "fully committed to the devices"..

Next to be killed: Windows Server, Bing division, XBOX division