Microsoft halts development of Windows 10 Mobile

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 10, 2017.

1. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    I think the real problem is that MS wanted to dominate the mobile market the same way they dominate the desktop market and for that purpose they allied to the other company who wanted to the same but on the hardware front: Intel. The problem is that both of them ****** up really hard! They failed to realise that they had real competition in the mobile market contrarily to what happens in the desktop market and they aren´t used to face strong competition... So Intel failed to deliver a CPU good and cheap enough for smartphones while MS failed to deliver a good and cheap OS... Then MS bought Nokia in a desperate attempt to become relevant and that was their worst possible option because they´ve lost the support from OEMs who still believed in WM and then all of them turned to Android only exclusively...

So finally we reached the end that everyone was expecting. Amazing how guys that earn millions every year can frack up this bad...

schmidtbag likes this.
  2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I totally agree, though Intel's problem wasn't just delivering a cheap CPU, but a power efficient one. Intel had a hard time understanding what the demands were of the phone market. They thought people wanted desktop performance in their pocket, but, nobody wanted that if it meant a battery that wouldn't last the entire day and a phone that was uncomfortably hot to hold. x86 performs pretty poorly when you scale it down too much, which is also why it kinda failed in the microcontroller market too.

ARM has a lot of inherent advantages over x86 for mobile purposes, primarily regarding power distribution throughout the chip - when an ARM core is off, it is off. There's no power running through it. Even when trying to eliminate leaky transistors, an x86 chip has too much electricity flowing through it when idle. Most mobile tasks don't demand instruction sets you find in CISC, or, the power draw necessary to handle them would be too great for the battery to handle *cough*AVX*cough*. Intel just never grasped this concept. And no, I'm not saying they used AVX in their mobile chips (not sure if they did or didn't) but my point is they left the CPU to be too complex.

EDIT: It's kind of like putting a v6 in a Mini Cooper - sure, you could do some pretty cool stuff with that, but you're going to kill the fuel economy and there's only so much you can do to take advantage of it, when you consider the tiny wheels and light-weight frame.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    does this mean there done trying to make os with hybrid desktop/mobile GUI? and that they will just go back to making a desktop OS, that dont feel like it is mobile GUI? if it dont then what does it mater?

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Probably not any time soon. Keep in mind they're not giving up on tablets.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I predicted this a while back.

Windows Phone had a lot of drawbacks, with the lack of apps being the biggest one. Sure, the UI was incredibly smooth and efficient at delivering information. Unfortunately, it lacked a sense of identity, or rather....lacked the ability to conform to the identity of the user. Sure, the live tiles were great, but MS really should have made the UI customizable. Changing the color, organization and size of tiles is not customization. Even with the few apps available, the apps list got too long to be managed efficiently. Most people don't want to scroll through a seemingly endless list of apps to find the one they're looking for. For users in the US, the lack of options and support from carriers didn't help either....

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    eh i dont want a tablet from MS let alone mobile devices using a MS OS I have surface 3 and imo it is crap and mostly crap cause windows just dont belong on mobile device even in "tablet mode" it was bad, but that is just my opinion these day's i tell people to just get freaking apple device, follow that up by saying " if you manage to break this and or riddle it with malware or viruses, you should NOT be touching tech devices let anything running windows" most people should not have smartphones either.

lucidus and Solfaur like this.
  7. BlueRay

BlueRay Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Good riddance I say. It wasn't going to happen and we all knew it. They dragged its corpse for far too long giving the very few W10 Mobile fans some false hope. I really wonder what that means for the UWP silliness though. I guess it will continue as MS seeks to monetise software sales through their store. Still the whole UWP thing lost its meaning now that W10 mobile died. It was a way to attract developers with W10 desktop adoption numbers so that devs would be convinced to make UWP apps which in turn would favour the mobile. I think the UWP thing will die later as well. they already killed Groove too.

lucidus likes this.
  8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It will probably stick around for a while to provide apps like netflix for both normal windows and xbox. I'd like to see it gone too 2012-2017... lol.

9. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Im expecting the surface line to follow suite some point in 2018.

10. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Anyone here still remember this? 7 years ago:

...on 11:23 it's funeral for Apple's iPhone lol

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Microsoft are not a hardware manufacturer. Never have been.

They produce software for off-the-shelf hardware, nothing more.

12. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    MS wanted to force feed us his tiles on phone, tablets and even on desktop with their METRO UI abortion.
    I hope their UWP aberration is the next to be butchered.
    Gaming on PC (windows 10/DX 12) can't be a downgraded equalized Xbox one experience...

13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I still use my Lumia 730 and wife is more than pleased with her 950.Still, it angers me to find such a lack of commitment towards the consumer from Microsoft.
    RIP, 'mobile first, cloud first.' then.
    I just don't get Microsoft these days.