Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by metagamer, Jun 10, 2019.

1. sephking

sephking Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 980ti Classified
    I have no idea how this game is supposed to run on the Reverb G2. I just tried it on my 2080 Super PC and I was getting 10 to 20fps in cockpit view on Ultra/1440p. Even if you lowered the settings to high or medium, I can't imagine any system handling it smoothly at 2160x2160p per eye on the Reverb.

2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Downloading now, 91 gig, hope it runs on the CV1 or Vive as they are already hooked up to the PC and i can't be bothered digging the WMR hmd out. lol

3. sephking

sephking Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 980ti Classified
    I think it's only a timed exclusive on the Reverb G2.

Tried lowering the settings to the high preset but still runs like complete ass. Definitely not going to be able to run on the G2, whenever that arrives.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    This game downloads a 500 MB launcher on Steam then requires a Microsoft account and a further 90 GB download via said launcher before you can play the game. This download time counts as playtime on Steam so that means for most people by the time they have downloaded it the two hour refund period will have elapsed.

I have very fast 420 Mbps fibre connection but even so the idea of using Microsoft's crappy download service puts me off buying the game. I think I will wait until the issues - people are reporting problems with slow download speeds and so on - before I even consider buying this. Hopefully by then the issues will have been sorted out and perhaps there will be a proper Steam download in place. It's bad enough dealing with the Microsoft Store for downloads without having to endure it through Steam as well. Yuck, no, thanks.

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Does this use steamVR or is it running natively from W10 on the WMR HMD?...i have the gamepass version so i am hoping it will run WMR hmds natively and cut out steamVR which can be a bit of a hogg for killing performance at times.

6. sephking

sephking Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 980ti Classified
    Not sure at the moment. VR isn't available with the game. It will likely be patched in when the G2 comes out.

7. Damnit

Damnit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Vega 64 BIOSmod
    For people having issues going from "click anywhere to start" page to login then back to click anywhere to start page, I did this and got it past the loop for the Xbox login page:

Changed MS account login from a local account to a MS account: Go to => Setting => Accounts and Sign In With Microsoft Account. ( I only did this to fix the MS Store issue I was having with Windows Hello so I could add Xbox app, sadly)

Went to MS Store, installed Xbox app

Now I was able to access the login page without the loop and begin downloading. Hopefully I can revert the changes later once it's all setup and get FS2020 to load without it but we'll see.

8. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I bought mine via steam awhile ago, I saw that it was available on MS store so I restarted steam and there it was ready for purchase lol

Steam itself was 500Mb only download then you launch the game then it installs stuff of about 91.36Gb
    Im now at 70% (hooray for 1000Mbps internet)

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  10. sephking

sephking Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 980ti Classified

11. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Having a right pain in the *** getting it installed via steam kind of wish i went for the windows store version, think i worked out my mistake trying to move the dir under %appdata%.

Having alot of problems getting the packages to install on my E drive.

12. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Either a game or driver bug, have you installed yesterdays driver? I mean I'm even managing 30+ FPS in Ultra HD with an RTX 2080 Ti. You can see RTSS running on occasion showing framerates.

Video is still processing though.

13. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Just noticed the processor you have listed, that would be my concern if I were you. I'll add CPU scaling tomorrow, also at 4 physical cores.

14. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Thank you HH for this. I have found it handles cpu cores/threads better than any program I have ever run. With an oc 2600 it evenly distributes work load and stays around 30% (but as you mention it does vary) and rarely touches 100% for me... being a first run of course. 16gig ram is a little slim imo and I recommend 32 as I'm hitting a page file some in Dallas area (clean optimized system w/min background tasks).

All in all, I'm impressed and thanks again Sir : )

Edit. At 1080P High graphics settings I'm getting 25-41 FPS on gtx1060 (still have my other 2 monitors on too but just desktop) and 442.19. Came here to get and try new drivers and thought I'd drop a line ; )

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    Hilbert Hagedoorn likes this.
  15. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Master Guru

GPU:
    2070-OC 2Ghz
    Well I was pretty excited about this. I pulled out my TrackIR and Sidwinder2 to dust them off and get ready but I looked at the different versions and noticed my local airport is one included in the Premium Deluxe version as a handcrafted airport. The place I will be flying around the most! Of course now I can't bring myself to get the standard version because I would be missing out. I'm also not shelling out $119 for the one single airport I want. I'm stuck. So I guess for now I'm passing but does anyone know if I can add only the airports and planes I want later? Also is there any comparisons of standard airports VS. the handcrafted ones, I can't really find any?

16. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi trio x 2080ti
    Specs : Cpu : Ryzen 3700x @ stock, GPU : Msi trio x 2080ti @ stock, Driver : 452.06, Ram : 2 x 8gb Corsair Vengeance @ 3200mhz xmp, Microsoft store version of the game installed on a Crucial mx500 ssd, OS : Windows 10 v2004, Internet connection : 200mb Virgin Media Fibre Optic via ethernet.

Looks amazing, but runs awful on my machine at 1440p especially in built up cities. Lots of stuttering when in New York at night time. It seems the Cpu/Gpu isn't being utilized much at all regardless of graphic preset chosen.

Framerate is displayed at the top right of the screen.

LOW-END preset (screenshot captured in game options)

[​IMG]

LOW-END preset (screenshot captured in game, flying over new york at night)

[​IMG]

ULTRA PRESET (screenshot captured in game options)

[​IMG]

ULTRA preset (screenshot captured in game, flying over new york at night)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  17. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Runs reasonably smooth (unless I look at the framerate) on my machine

i7 7820x @4.5Ghz
    GTX 1080Ti
    32Gb Ram

Ultra Preset as suggested by the game at 3440x1440

Granted I only flew over my hometown (Davao, Philippines) and Singapore
    its smooth, though FPS is below 60, i think its even on the mid 30 fps

PS

I turned off vsync and I have a gsync monitor, so maybe thats why?

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Playtime affects only automated refunds, you can still request them and have a real person handle it.

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  19. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    So I figured out last night where i went wrong with the install, when it asks you where you want to store the packages don't copy the Microsoft flight simulator directory and everything over. :rolleyes:

20. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    While the visuals are great.. Functionality sucks

The controls are WAY too sensitive, even after dialing back sensitivity.

My biggest gripe.. Is the complete lack of airway information.. There is zero way to find freqs (vor etc). You can't IFR for crap. For a VFR simulator it's great, but venture anywhere outside that and it's lacking extremely. To plot any actual courses using navigation aids I had to actually alt-tab out, open a browser and use air nav maps to find radio and vor freqs I needed.