1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft fixes connection problems with Windows Update

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 7, 2019.

1. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    If they want to determine anything based on data they gather regarding your usage of any infrastructure / services, they wouldn't push out their SDK updated with their Machine Learning API for local implementations of any machine learning algorithms. They would keep the algorithms secret (to gain a competitive edge), use your data to train their neural network (along with the data of others), and / or use your data to perform predictions that they can then suggest, improve their infrastructure, or improve their services so they can make more money.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    No need for the machine learning stuff to determine things you listed.

3. Erick

Erick Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 Fury 4GB HBM
    Too late. They put it in the SDK on the blog. lol!!

4. Erick

Erick Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 Fury 4GB HBM
    I don't see how that can remain a secret. It's based on human behavior and that is no secret. If you logged into Twitch 9 times in the morning, Google 3 times in the afternoon, and Facebook 5 times at night, then that's the algorithm....no secrets given. It's tracked, so that's not too impressive. If it knows that you are playing a video game, then it will not push updates automatically. That is an improvement to services.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    @Erick

I mean the things in question (like your behavior pattern in Internet) do not require deep machine learning stuff at all.
    And SDK (Software Development Kit) is a thing for developers only.

6. Erick

Erick Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 Fury 4GB HBM
    @mbk1969

Ah I got you. And yea....totally agree. I'm surprised to see them posting SDK changes...and I guess they are cool with it. I can understand holding a meeting to discuss what's changed.....but it's posted like a stop sign now. :/