Microsoft Explains Why They Did Not Go for Ryzen in Project Scorpio

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    If done right the upscaled games to 4K will look nice.

2. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Basically Microsoft decided Ryzen would be too expensive for their targeted cost and perhaps delay production longer then was feasible too. I have some doubts about the capabilities of Jaguar for 4K gaming, but we'll have to wait and see how they're working around/fixing that issue.

3. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I agree, average customer will hardly see the difference between upscaled and real 4K.

Especially if we consider that the major part of 4K console customers will play with a -60'' 4K TV at 10 foot from their couch.

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    If I remember correctly, Microsoft has it setup for 7 cores for game/application, and 1 core reserved for the dashboard now.

5. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    Lol,I only come here these days just to read all the whining lol

6. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    You right its one cores on PS4 now and its been one all along on X1.

7. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Simple upscaling is easy to spot.
    Checkerboard rendering is not uspacling but a rendering technique.

8. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    Some of the comments here are just plain stupid and as for this "reasoning " from Microsoft they opted for an 8 CORE CPU from 2011 that is worse than every other cpu after it in gaming..

GG MICRO GG

9. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Custom gpu and overclocked jaguar. Should be able to drive 4K. Considering it is way stronger then ps4 pro to begin with. Sure it's only 6tflop machine but still. Even 1070 can do 4k on medium settings or whatever.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    What is the alternative?

You go to Ryzen and you inflate the cost of the console by a pretty significant amount. You also lose backwards compatibility and require developers to learn an entirely new platform.

Increasing the resolution to 4K doesn't put any added strain on the CPU and the majority of GPU power they now have is going to that resolution increase. So games aren't getting any more CPU intensive. In fact they are getting less CPU intensive because now Microsoft is unloading all the DX12 overhead to the GPU's CC.

So what exactly is the issue? What would putting a new CPU in there even get you? Unless you profiled a bunch of games and have data supporting that the CPU is the bottleneck for framerate increases, there isn't much of a reason for replacing it, is there? Microsoft is in a position to make that call along with AMD, who I'm sure is consulting on it. They feel it isn't an issue and I'm inclined to agree.

11. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    By that logic I should not ever and I mean ever change my 2012 3930k because I am a 4k/60 gamer only.. it does not work that way a 1400 zen would be a massively better solution then the Jaguar, and one more thing the gpu in the Scorpio had some Vega in it FYI

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Is the 3930K bottlenecking your 4K/60 experience? If not, then no, you shouldn't - once it starts becoming the bottleneck then, yes - you should. Which is my point. Microsoft knows when the processor is the bottleneck, you're just guessing that it is.

Also a 2.3 Ghz 8 core Jaguar is ~6500 on Passmark. A Ryzen R5 1400 is 8700. 30% increase in performance, which seems pretty decent, until you realize you're delaying the console a year because you have to wait for the APU variant. You're eliminating backwards compatibility because no one is going to validate that their aren't any issues on prior games and the xbox uses a custom API. And you're inflating the cost of the console massively. All for 30%. Which probably isn't going to be useful for framerate increases anyway.

I don't get what the GPU being partially Vega has to do with anything. I already said that it lowers CPU usage, which basically further invalidates needing a faster one.

13. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    One more thing Scorpio was delayed by a year anyhow Phil said that Scorpio could have been launched last year

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Okay? What does that have to do with anything? lol

15. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    And so if it was delayed for another year and had even bigger price tag it would have been better then?

16. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    That extra Ryzen performance over the Jaguar is locked up in SMT, so now your performance is dependent on what else is running on the core. Jaguar offers the advantage of having eight identical cores that are easily available.

You've also added 15-25w more power draw to the system, which is an increase of about 20-40% on the CPU. So you're not even more efficient, maybe less.

In exchange for what? Primary focus of this console is scaling up existing and new games to 4k/30 and 4k/60. Extra CPU is unnecessary to that task. Where extra compute is necessary, offloading to the GPU is a real option.

17. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    who said that this will not be 599 bucks anyhow?? Phil stated that this is a premium product...

18. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    With the delay that was made anyhow ryzen could have been an option and this pr talk from micro that they are achieving the same perf with jag is just that pr bs. The real reason was said to Richard earlier that ryzen was not an option because of console uniformity with xb1 and the sole fact that Scorpio will not get any exclusives over the xb1

19. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Whatever the price will be. It would have been even more be it the case. Premium sure if it does not sell it does not matter how premium.

20. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    2013*

You completely disregard and acknowledge the fact that it would lose backwards compatibility and be much more of an intensive and less fluid transition. Xbox scorpio is not the sequel to xbox one. Meaning, unlike the xbox one, where x360 games didn't have any backwards compatibility and is now slowly, and i mean slowly being worked on to give some games backwards compatibility, it needs to be FULLY backwards compatible with ALL "original" xbox one games on DAY ONE.

If this was the "sequel" to the xbox one and did not need to be backwards compatible to the xbox one just like every other console, i would agree with you that having this old of a CPU in it wouldn't make much sense, but that's not the case here, what do you not understand about this?