Microsoft creates Windows 10 licensing frenzy

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    So here is the thing, if you are participating in the Insider program, you will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 on July 29th for free, just like any consumer who has a valid license of Windows 7 or ...

Microsoft creates Windows 10 licensing frenzy

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    I also believe those currently on the insider programme upgrading to the RTM version of Windows 10, need to remain on the insider programme if the licence isn't transferred over from Windows 7 or 8.1. The insider programme is reported to continue after Windows 10 release for the ongoing changes that Microsoft plan to implement in the Windows 10 service (that is, the ongoing updates) model.

3. mcfart

mcfart Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 5970
    This. It's rather simple - Insiders continue as is, receiving new beta builds...just one of those builds will be RTM, with a limited duration license, as Insiders are expected to upgrade to the next beta build that will come post Win10 launch.

While a free Win10 final license would be wonderful, MS has no obligation to provide one. I'll probably remain in the Insider program and duel boot with 8.

4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The initial blog stated exactly what you say Microsoft has no obligation to do. It was later corrected.
    Where does this simple information come from because I'd like to read it from Microsoft about limited duration etc.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I think it will simply ask us to fill in our Windows 7/8/8.1 serial number.
    At least I hope so.

6. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The topic is about Insiders getting Windows 10 for free. Nothing to do with legitimate Windows 7/8/8.1 users getting it.

7. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Graphics
    As other have already mentioned, RTM builds will only remain activated while still participating in the insider program.

8. mcfart

mcfart Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 5970
    This.

However, if Insiders want to leave the Insider Program and convert to Final, there is NO OPTION to simply enter a key and leave the Insider Program. Microsoft is once again (did this for 7/8) having us lolformat to 7/8.1, Windows Update, download upgrade ISO, upgrade to Win10, then format AGAIN for a clean install.

Source: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

*shakes head*

9. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Old news, Microsoft already said that some time ago but probably didn't state it clear enough.
    You need either a Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 license to run Windows 10 RTM without participating in continuous testing.

As for insiders, they only have a license for preview builds, so when the last available Windows 10 preview expires they need to roll back or upgrade via the usual path to have an OS running, Microsoft keeps pushing previews out though, so there should be no issue as long as they keep doing that.
    Insiders need a valid OS license to stay Windows 10 RTM if they don't want the future builds pushed out for testing.
    Source:Neowin

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  10. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    A lot of people are missing the confusion here.
    This is what the blog said originally.

This part is key.

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    But only if you stay in the Insider Program, which means you continue to run test versions of post RTM builds and patches.

12. lobez

lobez Member

GPU:
    Fury X
    My PC at work got the icon asking for windows 10 thing (it currently has win7 home), my laptop also (win7 home also), but my gaming/pro computer (win7 ultimate) did not!!!!

Anywone knows why? Thanks.

13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    If you're on a work domain, then group policy. If it hits one computer, it'll push it to all.

14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Hilbert. maybe you can get a faster response than I can. Is there any way you can find out if the w10 activation is going to be tied to our Microsoft account or hardware I'd? If it's tied to our hardware I'd, that's going to create problems for people like me who change parts frequently.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Microsoft account

16. lobez

lobez Member

GPU:
    Fury X
    I work for a very small company, and I manage all the computers on the network. They all have standard win7 home OEM, and they got the windows 10 update thing. Also my laptop.
    The problem is with my gaming computer, which has win7 ultimate. I had no windows 10 warning icon yet.

17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Probably just sent out in waves, or you might have a service disabled.

18. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti
  19. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I removed windows 10 preview and installed windows7 home x86 last week ready for upgrade time ................................ maybe I should put win 10 back on ........

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You'll be wanting a genuine 64bit 7 or 8.x installed for the RTM upgrade, or you'll end up stuck as a preview tester if you upgrade from 10 preview, or you'll end up with a 32bit Windows 10 RTM if you upgrade from Win 7 x86