Microsoft could be ending Edge browsers, to be replaced with Chromium alternative

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    tunejunky likes this.
  2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    A bright future of workplaces possibly not forcing IE9 or 10

Brasky likes this.
  3. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    (incoming snark)

if this is so then why in hell is MS pimping Edge in Win10's network and internet settings?

seriously tho' this may be good, but i'm more happy about what isn't being said - ending the practice of ISP bribery (in the US) where ISP's and web developers have been optimizing service for Edge vs Chrome. i see it every freaking day...just open up MSNBC or CNBC (or Hulu) on Edge vs Chrome.
    and i still don't like Edge even when it's been optimized.

Embra likes this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Edge was the best browser for downloading other browsers.

CalculuS, lmimmfn, airbud7 and 13 others like this.

5. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    :p:p:p:p:cool::cool::cool:;);)

6. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Chromium-based browsers can suck it. Chrome is only "popular" because, like Edge and IE before it, it was installed without the users' input. Google spent YEARS stealthing this thing onto PCs. Most people I know with Chrome have no idea how it got on there. And to make matters worse, a formerly great browser called Firefox has been ruined because they now have to mimic Chrome in order to "stay relevant".

nick0323 likes this.
  7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    See, it's stuff like this why you can't take any of MS's claims seriously. They sure put a lot of bold claims out there bragging how good they thought Edge was (even though I found it to be incredibly unstable and cumbersome to use) and they're already giving up?

Although I agree it's a shame FF is forced to copy Chrome, you make the browser out to be like some terrible piece of software, and it objectively isn't. Whether or not it is better or worse than FF is conditional or subjective. I overall prefer FF but it's got management and priority issues, which in turn make it technologically inferior at times.
    It is worth pointing out that Chromium is better than Chrome.

tunejunky likes this.
  8. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I hope it doesn't affect the video playback support. Afaik Edge is still the only browser on Windows to support Netflix 4k, and IE 1080p, whereas the others are limited to 720p. Edge has also been faster on my older PCs since Chrome started forcing VP9 on youtube.

nick0323 and tunejunky like this.
  9. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    I can't believe this ...

10. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    that is up to the vendors side-deals with Microsoft, not anything inherent with the browsers.

carnivore likes this.

11. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Since speed of a browser is what the average user cares about, unless Google can develop a rendering engine similar in efficiency to Webrender in Firefox they might have to take a note from Mozilla.

12. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    No thanks, Chrome is such an unmitigated POS and has sleazed it's way on to millions of PCs by way of other software's installers.

Fu*king Chrome should show up in a big wooden horse.

MS needs to hire some people who have some faith in (and ability to resurrect) their own brand as opposed to acquiescing to Google the way that sellout Belfior did with the Windows Phone.

Why is a self confessed Android user in charge of Microsoft's Mobile department?

Well, we'll always have Firefox I guess.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    AsiJu, tty8k and nick0323 like this.
  13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    At first I couldn't either, but when you really think about it, most people who run installers just click "next" without reading anything, and I've found Chrome ends up as a checkbox pretty often.

14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah it's bundled in a lot of adware supported packages, better than some weird-invasive anti-virus "solution" at least or some quirky toolbar but some of these "offers" can be really hard to opt out of.
    (Yes = install, no = install and then quit = installs software without bundle or a little red X mark or something.)

airbud7 likes this.
  15. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    I've not once experienced that. Maybe not installing a bunch of shady software prevents that from happening.

16. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    No one is mentioning Opera ! ? I am using it for year now ( maybe 10 - 12 ) ... and it works for me ! Sometimes it has problems with Flash Player but that is about it . I just can't get myself to use Chrome. Was using Firefox in my younger age but for me opera runs good

carnivore and nick0323 like this.
  17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Opera is also now based on Chrome. They ditched their own engine a long while ago.

18. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I'll stick with FF, thanks.

Dimitrios1983 likes this.
  19. robintson

robintson Guest

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    ...and still is the best for that (till it gets replaced, hopefully) :)

20. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    FF x64 DE is all I need. I was amazed that Microsoft had the brilliant idea with Edge to place the favorites sidebar (bookmarks in FF) on the *right* side of the screen...! Even IE allowed you to put them on the left if you desired. What's more, you cannot move the sidebar to the left the screen if you wanted to...! I was amazed. I'm right-handed, and putting the sidebar on the right was awkward in the extreme for me--like trying to tie shoe laces with one hand...! I'll pass on Edge. Ugh.