Microsoft confirms smaller Xbox Series S priced 299 euros

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 8, 2020.

1. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    First:
    There are many poor country's where the can sell this consoles.
    If you take in account all the people that have a TV's (only main TV's) that are working in the world you will see that over 70% don't have 4K.
    Second:
    To me this console make's sense if after 2-3 year they will make a PRO version, still until then if you are low on money, or you did no own an XBOX until now, this may be for you. Some may buy a PS5 and an XBOX S.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  2. FM57

FM57 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2070
    upload_2020-9-9_11-12-54.png

RIP...

Undying and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  3. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    I actually referred to the august steam hardware survey where 97%+ are not on 4k monitor, assuming 4k tv and monitor prices were correlated and there woulndt be much difference. Guess i was wrong? Now i'm looking for numbers, havent changed TV in 10 years.

Edit: appears 4k tvs account for around 35% of USA households.

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I don’t know why but I feel like Sony will be willing to sell the digital PS5 at $349. That would obsolete this console quick.

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yes, this stats i believe are from 2018, and should be higher now. However, yeah when looking at consoles, steam hardware surveys are pretty much...well, not useful. In general steam hardware surveys are not useful for the most part. But since TVs aren't often used for steam systems, it's really not a place that will work to get accurate info on what console players may have access to in their living rooms.

Statista anyways states it was 31% in 2018, and 4K tv unit sales continue to increase every year.

[​IMG]

Basically: The age of 1080p is definitely over, it may be over %50 right now, and i'd wager in 5 years, the only people who will have 1080p screens are people who simply do not update unless their TV dies.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Was less than I thought but maybe it's more in France or Sweden :)

XenthorX likes this.
  7. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti
    $299 is super cheap, actually one of the cheapest console launches ever once you account for inflation. Only the Gamecube was cheaper (at $199 in 2001, or ~$290 in today's dollars). This console is for people who want to play next-gen games at a lower fidelity than the full Series X. To most people I think the fancy lighting effects will be the key difference. So even though it is only 4TF, it is full RDNA2 with all the new fancy features like DXRand variable rate shading. An Xbox One X, despite having 6TF, will not be able to play Minecraft DXR, and will never work well with high-framerate gaming because of the crappy CPU the old consoles have.

It is also quite obvious Microsoft is trying to push subscription model similar to smartphones. All Access is $25/month for 24 months, includes the S and Game Pass Ultimate. X is believed to be $35/month for 24 months.
    Xbox One X ($499) -> Xbox Series X ($499)
    Xbox One S ($299) -> Xbox Series S ($299).
    Full backwards compatibility. Both are large upgrades compared to their predecessors that can basically be swapped in. The CPU in Xbone/PS4 is terrible, AMD Jaguar from 2013 that scores a per-core passmark score of 500-600 (modern cpus are 2600+), which makes high-framerate gaming on consoles very difficult to achieve, so the key to next-gen gaming is to get people off their horrible AMD Jaguar APUs that perform worse than a Core 2 Quad Q6600. After 2 years I bet they will announce Series X2 and S2 consoles using a similar pricing model and people will be able to swap their old consoles in for new ones as long as it is halfway paid off or something. Investors want subscriptions more than sales numbers.

8. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
    using a PC program, passmark, to evaluate console performance is comparing apples to oranges.

The subscription model for sales is great, but it really hurts the consumer. But such is the way of the world, luckily there is so much information out there that people will hopefully be able to make educated choices when it comes to buying a console or anything else.

9. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Subscriptions are the way they are going with this. Remember a brand new £1000 apple or android phone can be had for as little as £50 up front cost and then a £50-£60 p.m subscription for data, minutes, and texts for 24 months.

This is where consoles will end up going, before we eventually go to full on cloud gaming. They don't care about the loss on the machines as their subscription models will more than make up for that initial loss.

And when we eventually end up on full on cloud gaming the machines they release will be dirt cheap as the only local processing needed would be for video decode, video display, sound, networking, and controller connections and player inputs. Sony may have the upper hand here as they could install these cloud devices into their TV's whereas Microsoft would need to sell them or start making their own.

Both Sony and Microsoft already have a cloud gaming service of their own so they are well and truly prepared for the switch when it comes.

XenthorX likes this.
  10. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    Looking forward to actual data for 2020 but that's an interesting topic.
    In 2018 you had the FIFA world cup too, which no doubt boosted TV sales; i wouldn't draw any conclusion using a linear interpolation fast forward 2020.

Still, if the market wasn't there, Microsoft/Sony/Nvidia/AMD wouldn't talk that much about it.

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Series X is confirmed now too (499$) 10th of November.

12. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti
    My point wasn't the passmark score itself, but that it is several times slower in ST speeds to modern CPUs. And it is apples to apple because they are AMD Jaguar X64 cores. The CPU on the current-gen consoles is the main bottleneck and that is the reason many games are locked to 30FPS.

13. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    I pretty much dont know anyone who doesnt own a 4k tv, unless they dont have a tv at all.

On the other hand, i dont know anyone else who runs 4k pc monitor... other than myself that is.

Aura89 and XenthorX like this.
  14. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    1080 TV, 2x4K monitors here, go figure :eek:

Dragam1337 likes this.
  15. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    Different priorities :p