Microsoft confirms smaller Xbox Series S priced 299 euros

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 8, 2020.

1. crkwhr

crkwhr Member Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080ti sc2
    Typically they are when the new consoles launch, but as the consoles mature over their lifespan they become very profitable. With the extended lifespans of the consoles they have been profitable for years. Revisions like this update the hardware on the inside to more profitable building methods.

edit- Unless they are Nintendo and refuse to sell anything at a margin loss so even day 1 systems releases are at worst are margin neutral to positive.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  2. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I'm wondering if MS or a third party will offer/allow a HDD that you can plug in to have big storage without the high cost of the new super speed storage? That would seem to be a good fit for people that buy this.

3. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    That's a great news really, i can totally see this console alongside a Gamepass subscription as a solid livingroom entertainement offer.

All in all i wonder what the point of having expensive high-end 4K ready consoles is, if 95% of people don't even have a 4K TV or monitor.

edit: freshly released reveal trailer:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  4. KingK76

KingK76 Member Guru

GPU:
    Pascal Titan X Under H2O
    I would say the bigger story here is that the Series X is going to be $499! Considering it's GPU alone is more powerful then anything AMD has on the market today and the average price for the 5700XT is about $469 and don't even think about the Radeon VII! And for $499 you're getting an 8 core/16 threads Zen 2 CPU @ 3.8 GHz / 16GB GDDR6 RAM @ 560GB/s / 12.2TF RDNA 2 GPU (RDNA 2 TF's are more powerful in gaming compared to RDNA) / 1TB NVMe SSD @ 2.4GB/s RAW 4.8GB/s compressed read speeds / Support for USB 3.2 external HDD / 4K UHD BluRay Drive / Case / PSU / and Controller! Even us PCMR have to admit it's a pretty sweet deal.

Dragam1337, SerotoNiN and Kaleid like this.

5. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Member Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    why not 144fps? More people have this one, and it would be a much better option for everyone. Yea, 20CU RDNA2 might not be enough, but you could just put some more of it .... now it seems just... eh.... bad ...

6. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Hmm, the hd size is concerning. We're sure to see 1/2 TB games by the end of this generation for sure, at least on PC. Realism and "best" graphics has a cost.

Off-topic; Ready Player One-type of game might be possible within a few years?

7. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    Honestly per the Steam hardware survey and other surveys not that many people even have 4K, and I have my biggest doubts anyone will care about this when the dust settles. Budget gamers are on their phones. If they are tempted by this it will probably be sheer luck as when you look into it, the thing is just not that impressive. 512GB is a big issue for a lot of people. 1TB is a big issue lol. Going back to that amount of storage with that much less power than true next gen... seems like you are really hoping that price sells itself.

I'm also sorry to say but this design is literally hideous. I don't know what the frack they were thinking here.

8. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    It will take very few years lol. PS+ is still pounding away. You can't just not include that anymore. Nobody cares about hardware except in total numbers.

XenthorX likes this.
  9. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    Yeah, it's called the digital version of the PS5. Microsoft is doing this because they failed. They are now in the subscription as a service world 100% because they cannot compete in games. They did buy a lot of devs, but so far the games aren't done or are not even there.

They have no games. That's the biggest issue here. People talk about all the newest greatest graphics and next gen stuff, and this system releases with not even a chance of measuring up. It will completely bork how they develop for their next gen platform, and this is the honest to god truth. You can't just lower resolution and framerate to get whatever you want. It does impose limits on your higher end games. They are still developing fort the Xbox One lol. Halo was shamed out of release.

If this thing takes off it will all be down to clever marketing. There is no reason for this to even exist in a next gen world, and Sony has no need whatsoever to have some shitty baseline system like this completely holding their dev stable back. Go full tilt on PS+ subs because you have amazing games.

10. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti/RadVII/2070S
    Series S seems like an awkward half step to me. It comes with, what, a total of 10GB of unified memory, of which 2.5GB is taken up by the OS. There seems to be an assumption that this thing is designed with 1080p in mind but what about playing at 4K/30? I guess the SSD and other custom bits and bobs must really help here but the included SSD is puny, there's no disc drive and I think Microsoft have underestimated how budget-conscious gamers value the preowned/trade-in market. Microsoft already tried an Xbox One without a disc drive, it made no impact at retail at all.

11. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Looks like case ventilation to me...;) Seriously, though, I tried to watch the Microsoft video on this and the background "music" was so horrible I had to switch it off...;) First words were, "Want a new thang..." or something like that. Yes, "thang"...;) Enough was enough.

TalentX likes this.
  12. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Are there really that many people without a 4k tv or monitor?

XenthorX likes this.
  13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Something to think about is os and firmware storage. Just on the Xbox one this takes at least 100 GB.

XenthorX likes this.
  14. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
    Same as with the Xbox One, you'll be able to connect any USB HDD or SSD. But you likely won't be able to play games from it that require internal NVMe SSD speeds (but Xbox One games and games that don't require such SSD/HDD speeds should be fine). If it's the same as the Series X, you'll also be able to add an additional SSD through their proprietary expansion slot.

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Doubtful. One of the selling points is the custom NVMe solution which offers blazing fast loading times. That feature would go to waste with a slow HDD.

I thought that if you go and buy a TV today there pretty much isn't anything else than 4K :)

Dragam1337 and XenthorX like this.

16. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    That's shocking, how the hell can it take more space than my win10 install, something is off :eek:

Gonna have to check this out next time i'm at the store, haven't looked into TVs for ages !

Netherwind likes this.
  17. Jawnys

Jawnys Member Guru

GPU:
    zotac1080ti
    its pointless to have a disk drive now, i havent had a disk drives on my pcs for the last decade or so,

18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Not really. It’s a slow SSD on a APU with 28CU’s. This is a break even at worst price. I felt they would price it at $250.

19. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Light
    I mean Consoles are often like this, as they are sold on a loss. Xbox one X had a similar deal, even more so when it dropped down below 300 in sales

Nah this will be sold at a loss, I think parts alone maybe they'd break even, maybe small loss. But have to factor in the R&D costs into it. It wont be as much of a loss as the Series X, but Consoles have always been a loss, its always been the software where they make the money and overtime consoles make money once development costs become cheaper.

most likely why they made this "digital" only, forces people onto the xbox store where they take their 30% cut or whatever each game. Can't use used games or borrow games on this

20. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Light
    I'm buying the ps5 for the 4k drive alone, maybe pointless for you but for anyone with bad internet or who enjoys the other media beyond gaming will want one. Heck I got great internet and i would still choose to have a disc drive.

One reason is when games get taken of the storefront, I can see find a physical copy and play from there.