Microsoft Blogs about Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    oh look, the ignorant crapstirrer mouthing off again about things he can't even comprehend.

eGGroLLiO and Fox2232 like this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    fps isn't everything.

3. Pr3t3nd3r

Pr3t3nd3r Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Nvidia GTX
    Can even update to 2004 and they even want to do some marketing about it :D

Lets stop people from updating to 2004 because many things are broken and than lets do some marketing crap how it runs better o_O Who will understand them...

4. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    HAGS is not there to magically make games run faster, did you even bother to check what it does?

5. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I guess you know what pre rendered frames are and what effect it has to reduce them via NVCP?
    HAGS does it on another level, so you end up with reduced input latency without the hit on framerate, which also visualizes as better 1% lows, at least that is what it is supposed to end up doing for all games.
    It's ok if you don't like MS, but please look into the tech before throwing anti MS biased comments all over it.

I do agree that Game Mode doesn't live up to it's purpose, rather the opposite, but that is a complete different discussion.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i dont know i seeing alot reviews and peopel saying 1 maybe 2 fps difference that with in tolerance as far as i concerned, GW5 performance loss was interesting on persons test and none in another persons and that persons tests show identical performance with it on or off.

As for latency well seeing I force vsync to be on always I never notice input latency unless is extreme. now if it effect frametime for the better that is something I would like. Not ready to upgrade to new build of windows to test HAGS which is only thing that remotely interested in, that would make me want to clean install windows again...

I am interested to see how the whole HAGS pans out though

@Mineria
    What is Gamemode? was that supposed to do something beneficial? I disable that cause I found it had lil no no effect and general cause issues. If MS want Gamemode for windows they should just build gaming version of windows which means they slim down the OS to as slim as it is on consoles. I dont even want that XBox junk in my windows but I cant remove that with breaking things, but like you said that another discussion

7. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Linux would require a bit more than the ability to run all games out of the box to outcompete Windows.
    A lot of games seem already to run fine on Linux, the last repo I checked recently out was Pop!_OS, they got pretty far with games on Linux in the last years time, also hardware support is hitting the right direction, there is still some work todo before it can be accepted mainstream though.

Got it disabled as well.
    I did suggest MS several times to release a Windows Gaming Edition in the past, but seems it has no interest for them, maybe they wake up when ever Linux manages to really take of, in which case it will be to late for MS, rest of the industry including Epic will follow where the money is regardless of OS.

8. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Eh, I'll just wait for MS to fix this. I thought version 2004 was officially out and ready for the public.

9. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Given Microsoft say the following with regard to their new hardware accelerated GPU scheduling:

"Although the new scheduler reduces the overhead of GPU scheduling, most applications have been designed to hide scheduling costs through buffering."

Given that they say the above, I'm wondering if there might be more benefits in having this new feature enabled if you're running in the relatively new NVidia Ultra Low Latency mode in the control panel...perhaps we'll see less negative performance effects (eg less stuttering) with Ultra Low Latency enabled in the Nvidia Control Panel now that we have this new Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling. Might be interesting to test if it improves general performance of NVidia's Ultra Low Latency mode.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Did he F* up? Because he has Physics test 7% slower with HWS ON. And that's purely CPU test. which does not change even if you downclock GPU.
    It does make games faster and it does reduce latency a bit and improves frametime variance tiny bit. So, what you wrote is false.
    In Hellblade I did not expect any improvement because game runs quite fast already.
    But in intro sequence I had ~195 fps at beginning with HWS OFF. And as camera approaches character, it goes own to ~155 fps with HWS OFF.
    Turning it ON made beginning into ~200 fps. And Close part to ~165 fps.
    That's about same difference people often 5h*7 on AMD's CPUs because intel's can deliver those bit higher framerates.

Like it or not, it makes difference. Sometimes it is damn small in terms of fps. Sometimes average fps goes down a bit. But once you look at its effect on Low/Med/High fps, you would realize that it helps when you need it most (lower fps). Its effect is bigger when CPU is more limiting factor.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Are we even supposed to see any performance difference right now, is it no about testing a feature for the future?

12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I found the opposite with Mafia III refurb stuttering and alt tabbing WoW Classic stuttering briefly when having both enabled, disabling Low Latency Mode with HAGS enabled got rid of the stutter for these two games.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  13. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Typo or what does that mean?

14. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Interesting, not gonna know for sure until more are tested, but that's an interesting start.

15. intellimoo

intellimoo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 SUPER GamX
    Finally, a clearer explanation of this beyond "lets the gpu manage its own vram." lol

16. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    A GPU bound system.. what would you except? Magic silicon growing?

17. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Just put me on ignore.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    like the joke goes out and ready for public "testing"

19. Goldjacket

Goldjacket Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 5700ST
    Maybe because im up in canada the new AMD 5.1 drivers only show up as the None Beta. Not sure where these drivers are coming from or maybe they pulled them due to a bug?

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    It is not in gpu bound scenario's that you are likely to see an improvement (fps wise), rather its cpu bound scenarios

gpu bound scenario's are likely to see a reduction in max but better input lag.