Microsoft blocks Windows 10 October 2018 Update (Again)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 23, 2018.

1. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Long walk. Off a short cliff. Close your eyes and imagine yourself in it. Helped?

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Wait...it was a pier...and cut the guy some slack...he thinks he can walk on water....:p
    Actually I was quite specific about this issue. Seriously, don't call me your friend and then imply I'm some sort of blind fan boy. Grow up.

3. Lang

Lang Guest

GPU:
    rx 480
    wonder if this is the same *update* that allowed using Nvidia GPU's to use AMD FREESYNC, and they are just covering up with a lame story? because this is now possible....
    since you can now switch graphics processing power via windows 10

4. too much lawl ... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :D:D:D:D *mimics* "nanny nanny boo-boo..." hehe

ManofGod likes this.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Thread cleaned up, next time there will be action taken. You know who you are.

6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I don't know which company is more annoying. I had to pester EVGA for weeks to finally update the X99 BIOS because of intel's microcode, via MS, update. Who do you blame? Now I have to keep an eye on the microcode updates so they don't screw up my system again.
    I've no reason to replace this 6850K that runs all day at 4.5 for years yet. On the other hand, 99% of the time my system works fine and it is amazing that with the billions of combinations, it does actually work pretty well most of the time.

screwtech02 and ManofGod like this.
  7. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    "Get a genuine Windows 10 Pro OEM Key for a price as low as 12.60$ with a Guru3D coupon".
    I'd say, it's about time for m$ to start paying people for using it's cra**y OS... OK, BigBad&Evil Bill - pay me 12 dollars and I'll use your bloatware...

8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Just to make something clear since some posts make me think that the posters got the ide of it being a general upgrade blockade.

The additional blockade is only directed at computers which got two specific Intel audio display driver versions installed:
    "The update is blocked for users with Intel display drivers versions 24.20.100.6344 and 24.20.100.6345"
    Using other driver versions will make 1809 install unless one of the other blockades is in effect.

9. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    can you give me a good reason to not believe what they say? i mean the only people i would disbelieve are some random forum goers accusing me of shilling.

10. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Yeah, it does get kind of silly. Really question is, how many of these folks are delaying the installation of these feature updates for the 365 days that is possible?

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    24.20.100.6344 is old WDDM 2.1 driver, right?
    So, MS made some secret feature back in WDDM 2.1 times. Intel reverse engineered available libraries for WDDM 2.1 and found it. Then they abused it till now. And MS removed that hidden unsupported feature with WDDM 2.5?
    It is as stupid idea as it sounds. It is just old WDDM 2.1 driver, nothing magical. It passed WHQL, and if it called something wrong and passed the test then it is MS's faulty detection. And MS fails at not having proper fallback layer in WDDM 2.5.

BTW, did anyone notice how many drivers out there on different HW manufacturer sites can't be installed due to incompatibility with given windows build?
    (They basically write you builds those drivers work with.)

poornaprakash likes this.
  12. poornaprakash

poornaprakash Active Member

GPU:
    AMD/Nvidia
    Even you know MS at fault here and your failed ego cannot admit it :p Keep shilling alone. Nobody here to support your reason.

13. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Hey, I'm gonna install this driver just to Block Windows updates!...:p

:D

Fender178 and Extraordinary like this.
  14. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    just answer the question, at least fox has a decent argument to go on, if you had anything to say on the matter please do and leave ad hominem where it belongs.

15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    The two drivers in question where rolled out by Intel just before, so not that old.
    Using an older v24 (probably need to disable windows driver update) or newer v25 will not trigger the lock.
    Who the f cares for the reason as long as it works without hampering performance nor features.

Only one downside, MS took a to many days to put the block into action, so quite a few users got affected by the issue.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018