Microsoft Blocking Firefox Win8

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Brasky, May 10, 2012.

1. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    well everyone is starting to attack each other already so why not post a not agressive post who cares what OS some one likes ...

I use Win 7 but I also use XP/Server 2k3 but I aint gonna attack someone else cause they like and have a better experience with a different OS.... seriously what is wrong with everyone these days. Just face it not everyone is the same in preferences thank god for that.,..

2. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    Fox news.
    Discussion is moot.

3. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
  4. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    No more insults please folks. Let's keep the discussion civil.

Browser choice is very important to most of us if issues are caused then MS is only going to restrict its sales to the uninformed. I will not be buying any product that restricts my browser choice.

5. Zen0

Zen0 Master Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Why does Microsoft even care if people use Internet Explorer? It's free FFS, and so is every other browser.

6. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
    ad revenue is my guess.

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Faux news.

8. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    Windows 8 UI is too much like a cell phone.

Windows 7 also is a learning curve for those of us who have started with Windows 3, and moved up through the years to 95, 98, 2000, and XP.

Windows should stick with what they've had and just simply update it to support new things.

I liked Windows 2000 back in the day, and I did use it over Windows XP. Now Windows XP truthfully I feel is still the best choice for stability.

Windows 7 isn't bad and maybe I should retract my previous statement a bit...

But I feel like the only reason Microsoft is still around is because over the years they have built themselves to be on literally every PC out there... Apple has recently gained share since the Ipod/Iphone deal... but we mostly know it's a bunch of iSheep... Apples really aren't that great unless your doing video editing, even then Windows can still compete fine...

I know about Googles OS, but i'm talking about a real Operating System... Something that would have compatibility with Windows programs, so I could lets say play Deus Ex: Human Revolution on "GOOGLE OS" or whatever it would be... How this would be done I have no idea, but if Google or another company could get some way to have windows software work on their OS they could slowly build and replace windows... The problem is... to this day.. you can't... wether it be due to Windows framework or whatever...

Microsoft needs to be replaced IMO... They are just not what they used to be.

9. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
  10. Seref

Seref Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 GHz Vapor-X
    I don't get the complaints ovre the UI. You don't have to use it if you don't want. You can have the exact same Windows 7 setup with like three button presses.

11. Azarobi

Azarobi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6870
    Can they actually do that ? like block a software ? on what grounds ? I'm pretty sure it can be legally challenged. and while they were at it, why didn't they go ahead and block Chrome as well. Pathetic move really.

12. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    not in consumer preview as far as i know.

@Azarobi, they are not blocking firefox, they are simply breaking backwards-compatibility (thus "blocking" most current apps until developers update them).

This will be bad for us, the users, wasting developer times to use that API...

13. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Data mining leading to targeted advertising and so on would be my suspicion but I really don't know! :(

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    There are frequent polls showing most widely used browsers. I guess it would enhance MS brand image if their browser was more widely used. Unfortunately for them IEs share of browsers in use is slipping year after year. Look where they were 5 years ago vs today:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

15. Arctucas

Arctucas Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    I would reply to explain, but why bother?

16. Azarobi

Azarobi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6870
    aah..right. Thanks for explaining :D.

but makes you wonder, why wasnt the same issue faced when the previous iterations of windows were at the similar stage ?

17. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    windows 8 is stupid anyway, like vista. remove metro and you get windows 7 with sp 2. ill wait for windows 9, since M$ likes to release a crap OS and then a good OS, rinse and repeat.

18. Azarobi

Azarobi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6870
    Agree. I'm running the consumer preview and its Mehh....to say the least.

19. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    If MS is truly blocking other browsers except IE from using certain APIs then something will be done about it. I doubt I'll be getting Windows 8 regardless because it looks like a load of steaming crap. Might be good for tablets and touch based AIOs but I don't see myself owning either of those for a long time. They fill no need in my life. But seriously, it's one thing to force apps to use certain APIs, but when you give yourself the exemption then that crosses the line.

Of course, I'm basing my statements on the article I read so if that's wrong then this whole argument is moot.

20. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    Does NoScript work in Internet Explorer?