Microsoft at it again, advertising Gmail in Windows 10 Mail points to Outlook

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Windows 10 = Sellout OS = BAD

Windows 10 = BAD

ez math

Mufflore likes this.
  3. Dean_Demon

Dean_Demon Member

GPU:
    Titan RTX 24 GB
    Oh dear god MS, i avoid apps as much as possible for one they crash far too often and they are very easy to hack or exploit so are very insecure and i say that as a programmer but it's not a wise move from MS.

4. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    As a world of warcraft player i badly need hackintosh working on my pc or a linux client for wow. Then i can make the jump.

5. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    You really don't want to use the Mac client, its like being a second-class player. Playing on Linux with Wine using the Windows Client would be a better experience then that.

6. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    is slower or looks worse? Or crash in the middle of important things?

7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I still use Windows Live Mail as Mail App in Windows 10 xD

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its a shame that web adverts don't fall under the same laws as tv and radio advertising.

Alessio1989 likes this.
  9. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    i don't have this problem...
    maybe it is because i am banned from google service too lol

But i agree, it's a try to fool gmail customer, it's not fair. (despite the Outlook app is better than Gmail app... )

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    "in your Windows 10 mail app" - hmmm... my Windows 10 mail app is called browser (as well as Windows 8 and Windows 7 ones).

11. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    This is completely unacceptable! If Windows was free then yes by all means put your adds in it, but the fact that you pay a hefty amount for Windows makes this totally unacceptable! I hope Microsoft get a lot of backlash for this pathetic move.

12. QBI

QBI Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armor
    How come a native Windows application has built in advertisements in the first place?
    What's next? Ads on your desktop or start menu?

13. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    It's a good thing I don't use default W10 apps, problem solved :p

14. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    aside the ads
    its reasonable enough, nowdays who dont own at least 1 gmail address ?
    android phones will use at least 1 google(gmail) account

but i still using multiple ms email for several purpose
    hotmail.com the oldest, used to be primary email... then live-era .... now outlook

speaking about it, i been moving primary email couple times, begin with isp address ... then hotmail.... then personal domain...then to various big-space mail (such as SpyMac, Lycos, anyone remember those?) before moving to gmail till now

i think ms-email-service-user getting low nowdays, thus forcing ms to do things like this
    otherwise, what else they can do ?
    heck, yahoo mail giving 1TB free-storage right ? yet it never success in attracting people back to using their email-service

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  15. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    Happy and smug on my Linux distro :):) .
    Have Win 10 partition but rarely boot that OS , just from time to time to play game that isn't available on Linux. And that is it , on whole OS i just play games from time to time . Everything else including just browsing the net , i do on nix

16. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    "Microsoft is falsely advertising up-to a level that could be seen borderline acceptable."

I disagree. That is fully unacceptable. It is deceptive advertising that has surpassed acceptability by a large margin.

17. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @kruno Well, Lutris could give you a big surprise, and latest Mesa+ Proton Steam are awesome, running native Windows games on *Nixes.

kruno likes this.
  18. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    /me hugs his penguin and laughs at people still willing to have Windows as their main OS.

anticupidon likes this.
  19. SSD_PRO

SSD_PRO Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    If only the premise was true. Opened up Windows Mail, doesn't say "get your gmail on your phone". It says "get your email on your phone". I use gmail, check gmail, use Mail, check mail, all with different accounts. If it changed mail to gmail you have installed an extension or specific altering program. It doesn't do that by default on build 1909.

https://i.**********/VkC1yvND/emailnotgmail.png

20. Lee Rutter

Lee Rutter Guest

GPU:
    8gb
    You are missing a word from your headline.. it says "Get Gmail". Get Gmail, I would assume would be the Gmail app. "Get your Gmail" is the actual verbiage on the link and it means that they have a way of retrieving your Gmail. Click the link and they can show you how to add Gmail to your outlook. Anyone in IT gets this question from time to time: "How can I get my Gmail in Outlook?". This kind of advertising and wording has been for all systems, including Yahoo as each of them promotes their mail app capable of handling more than one account.

Further, if you go to bing's website, and search for gmail, you will find no advertising or links at all to outlook or Microsoft as everything on the first page of the search engine refers to google with the exception of "news about Gmail" for Bing's news.

On the third AND fourth link on Google's search engine, when looking up "outlook on my gmail app" - there are links that goes back to Google's webpages. Funny thing... on Bing's search engine, typing in "outlook on my gmail app" will result in first link going to Google.

Others on here that are saying their outlook crashes - I have had that ongoing issue for twenty years where a mailbox became corrupt or some other BS. With 365 it has gotten better but within Windows, when I add all of my email accounts to Outlook and have tens of thousands of emails, it seems to flake out however, I was extremely surprised that the Mac Version 365 version of Outlook is fantastic and very stable with all of my email accounts and is very consistent with reliability. I have all of my other email accounts going to it, including Gmail and it hasn't died or taken a hit, thankfully. The native email app on the Mac is nice, but when I add other accounts to it, it seems to flounder or die!

I know it is a knee-jerk reaction when you saw the link and decided to omit a key word, but take a moment and breathe and reread what is actually being said. Microsoft loves that you are using Gmail or Yahoo but they would love even more for you to access Gmail via their outlook app. Is that a bad thing? I mean, doesn't Gmail make it easy to use other emails in the Gmail app? Remember in the old days we had to go to Hotmail and lookup values to type in our email client? Now, Gmail, Yahoo, and Outlook put those values in for us.

At the top of this forum page is an ad for Office 365 Secured Email. Hmmmm.

MegaFalloutFan likes this.