Microsoft announces Surface Laptop Go, new updates to Surface Pro X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. G0dly

G0dly Member

GPU:
    1080 TI
    2 year battery life and going by how unfriendly these have been over the years for accessing the battery makes it a disposable device, fairly sad in these times that longevity isn't a consideration.

3. James Frazer

James Frazer Member Guru

GPU:
    NA
    Interesting point of view on a forum where many users are already selling 2xxx series GPUs in order to fund a 3xxx purchase. Even on the mass market level tech is disposable... how many people really want a 2 year old phone reagrdless of whether it still works fine or not? The only real reason anyone keeps their device is purely down to the cost of a replacement.
    With all that in mind, why would MS design a product with specifics that no one really wants and would also increase weight, product size and most importantly cost?
    This customer attitude also plays in to the hands of MS and other software developers as in previous decades one of the major hang ups about an older PC or Laptop was keeping the software updated and running smoothly... remember how often people used to have systems formatted and reinstalled to get them running smoothly again? Now you just don't have to bother with all that as by the time your OS and software is tying itself in knots you simply replace the device and move on.

4. G0dly

G0dly Member

GPU:
    1080 TI
    Nearly all my old devices are passed on to friends/family or a local IT charity that re-uses, I've had to replace a few batteries before doing so but at least having the option is nice. Although we enjoy cutting edge others are often happy with functional.
    Also I'm not talking about making the battery completely easy to access like old laptops, but a few screws and component removal like most modern laptops would suffice rather than just glueing it together, I bet you wouldn't notice those extra 4 grams.